Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Might have a problem  (Read 2346 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Might have a problem
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »
So I brewed my gose, as a recap, I mash, sparge and boil 15 minutes, no hops. Pitch lacto and hold at 90 until pH drops to 3.8-4.0 and then follow with traditional boil, hops, etc. Once done, cool to 60 and pitch proper starter of WY 1007 to ferment at 60. Every time fermentation takes off in about 12-24 hours with no issues.

This time around I am at 72+ hours, got nothing, no krausen. I did take the primary out of the chamber to let it warm a bit but am concerned there's nothing going on.

Any advice on this since the pH is on the threshold of proper fermentation, what else could I pitch to get things going? I've never had this problem. I'm not panicking yet as it might still take off once warmed up but looking for ideas.....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:55:06 pm by duboman »
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Might have a problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »
You could give Brett a shot if all else fails. I'd grow up a big, healthy starter if you go that route.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »
I'd just let that sucker warm up a bit, but that is odd.  1007 should work fine at 60 and is also supposed to be able to handle low pH.  Was your starter active when you pitched? 
Make sure to update on what happens here, very curious.

Offline dordway29

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:01 pm »
If you haven't already, I would check the gravity before adding anything.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:08:08 am »
There is a wine yeast, I believe a champagne yeast, that will ferment complex sugars.  If memory serves that yeast would work as champagne yeasts are tolerant of harsh conditions.  Of course the flavor would be different.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:10:36 am »
To follow up, the good news is the gravity is down to 1.018, so no active krausen but fermenting. I'm expecting another 9 points so we shall see. Thanks for the responses!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:16 am »
What strain of lacto? Perhaps its one that creates alcohol in addition to acid, and so when you pitched the sac yeast there just wasn't as much sugar there as normal?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
What strain of lacto? Perhaps its one that creates alcohol in addition to acid, and so when you pitched the sac yeast there just wasn't as much sugar there as normal?

Hey Jim,
I use WY5335 and that would be a thought but my process wouldn't allow that to happen really. I mash as normal, sparge and boil for 15 minutes, chill to 90 and pitch the lacto to sour. My pre-boil was spot on and for only 15 minutes remains virtually unchanged. Once the beer sours over 5-7 days I then proceed with a normal boil for 60 minutes and this kills off the lacto so it doesn't' allow for any fermentation other than the WY1007 I pitch.

My following pre-boil after souring was the same as post mash and my post boil gravity was spot on as well at 1.049 so now the beer is at 1.018 as of this morning and in previous batches has finished at 1.009 so I'm hoping it keeps slowly chugging along even though I see no krausen......Hope that made sense:)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:38:11 pm »
I'm really digging your process.  You are souring in the kettle, correct?  What are you using to keep your 90 degree temp?  I have boil coils and a Tower of Power controller, but I don't know if I can/should keep that on for a week and I don't know if the fermwrap is up to the challenge of 90 degree temps either. 

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:45:58 am »
I'm really digging your process.  You are souring in the kettle, correct?  What are you using to keep your 90 degree temp?  I have boil coils and a Tower of Power controller, but I don't know if I can/should keep that on for a week and I don't know if the fermwrap is up to the challenge of 90 degree temps either.

Thanks JT, I would like to claim the process as my own but it's not. The recipe actually comes from the great folks at Boulevard and they also provided the souring process they use. It was also a suggested method from a BJCP judge from a local comp that helped me tweak the recipe a bit.

I actually sour in a bucket as I use a CFC chiller so I just pass through the chiller into the bucket. I have a small secondary ferm chamber that I simply place a 90 watt bulb in with an temp controller to keep at 90, works really quite well.

BTW, Like your ANON avatar! Cheers!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:40:34 am »
JT, I fermented 3724 at 90 last year for 2 weeks with a ferm wrap and towels around my bucket. Help temp no problem that I could see
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:44 pm »
 So today I not only took a gravity reading but also Re calibrated my hydrometer. Sitting at 1.018 still. Sample tasted a tad sweet but not overly and appears to be done. I'm sure if I bottle it it will be a good Gose but not what I usually get. Its sitting at 68F right now and still no movement.

What can I pitch to get this lower aside from Brett which would take time and change the flavor profile. Maybe another starter of 1007 at high krausen? Ideas? Kinda bummed on this........

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:15:10 pm »
So today I not only took a gravity reading but also Re calibrated my hydrometer. Sitting at 1.018 still. Sample tasted a tad sweet but not overly and appears to be done. I'm sure if I bottle it it will be a good Gose but not what I usually get. Its sitting at 68F right now and still no movement.

What can I pitch to get this lower aside from Brett which would take time and change the flavor profile. Maybe another starter of 1007 at high krausen? Ideas? Kinda bummed on this........

How sure are you that it's a yeast issue and not a wort issue?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:32:04 pm »
Pretty sure, this is the 5th time I've brewed this beer, same process, all readings have been spot on consistently, all fresh ingredients including the yeast with properly sized pitch rates, temp control, etc. All previous batches finished the same, within a point or two and the last two comps entered and scored and took second places with an average score of 40. 

If I can't get it lower I'm resigned to bottle it and enjoy it, I'm sure it will be tasty, I'm just kind of at a loss as to why this batch went astray. Even the pH readings came in the same from mash to souring, its weird to say the least.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 04:57:30 am »
You could try another high krausen starter, but with a reading of 1.018 I doubt it would go anywhere.  I'd either bottle or add Brett.  Sorry, at least it still tastes good!