Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anti oxidation ideas  (Read 12039 times)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Anti oxidation ideas
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
I'd say a couple months longer on my IPAs.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:30 pm »
That is awesome news dkfick. Will have to try it out on my next IPA
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »
For all my IPAs and American Pale Ales I use ascorbic acid to help prevent oxidation.  If you're kegging add 1 teaspoon of it to the keg before racking into the keg.  If you are bottling I would add it to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar before you rack into the bottling bucket.  Then just bottle as usual.  This will greatly extend the shelf life of a hoppy beer in my experience.

Dan, have you ever split a batch and dosed on half and not the other?  I tried ascorbic acid, along with campden in the mash, in an effort to stave off oxidation.  I didn't notice any dfference with either technique.  But I didn't do a split.  Guess I should.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »
I'm not sure how much I would worry about oxidation in the mash.  My worries if oxidation on hop forward beers is with the oxidation of the hops. So I use it on the cold side to prevent then from oxidizing.

I've not done side by side comparisons, but I have noticed when I don't do it my IPAs will fall off a few months sooner (I sometimes forget to add it lol)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »
I'm not sure how much I would worry about oxidation in the mash.  My worries if oxidation on hop forward beers is with the oxidation of the hops. So I use it on the cold side to prevent then from oxidizing.

I've not done side by side comparisons, but I have noticed when I don't do it my IPAs will fall off a few months sooner (I sometimes forget to add it lol)

I am impressed your IPA's even last that long.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 05:24:20 pm »

I am impressed your IPA's even last that long.
Downside of having almost 40 kegs.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 05:43:23 pm »
I will say that I tried Dan's ascorbic acid trick a few months back on an APA and loved the results. My purging practices are good, but just adding this one extra step IMO made a noticeable difference on the longevity of the hop character. I'll be kegging an IPA next week and I plan to use it then to assess. I've never done a triangle and would like to see the results of one on hoppy beers. Great tip.
Jon H.

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:05 am »
For all my IPAs and American Pale Ales I use ascorbic acid to help prevent oxidation. 

Good tip, where are you guys buying the ascorbic acid?

thanks

tom

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 06:30:59 am »
I usually just pick it up at my LHBS, though I recently bought a pound of it last time I was at the Dark Horse general store.... Maybe a bit overboard lol.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 06:49:40 am »
thanks for the info, I'll check out my local LHBS's.

tom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:23 am »
thanks for the info, I'll check out my local LHBS's.

tom

My LHBS has a big wine section as well, and the ascorbic acid is with the wine chemicals/additives.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:44 am »
There seem to be some possible side-effects. Scroll down a couple of lines in this link: https://books.google.be/books?id=TIYbNdrIsPEC&pg=PA372&dq=%22ascorbic+acid%22+oxidation+beer&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAWoVChMI0qT63sDnxwIVyrgUCh0WIAA_#v=onepage&q=%22ascorbic%20acid%22%20oxidation%20beer&f=false

I just read that - I wonder if it's something like HSA, ie., something that's theoretically an issue that in reality just isn't. My keg of APA lasted ~ 6 weeks, and the last pint seemed nearly as hoppy as the first. If the info in the article were correct, the keg should've deteriorated from oxidation pretty quickly by the last pint, and didn't. Interesting about the combo of ascorbic and sulfite. Hadn't read that.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 10:28:32 am »

If I understand it correctly it's not necessarily to prevent mash oxidation.  Like you, that isn't something I worry about.  This sounds like an experiment to me!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
I just read that - I wonder if it's something like HSA, ie., something that's theoretically an issue that in reality just isn't. My keg of APA lasted ~ 6 weeks, and the last pint seemed nearly as hoppy as the first. If the info in the article were correct, the keg should've deteriorated from oxidation pretty quickly by the last pint, and didn't. Interesting about the combo of ascorbic and sulfite. Hadn't read that.

But mine last at least that long without doing anything other than purging the keg.  I wonder if there's confirmation bias at work here.

www.dennybrew.com