Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite hidden gem  (Read 6379 times)

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
What's your favorite hidden gem
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:46:05 am »
this may have already been done but I was thinking last night, it seems as if an hand full of great beers get most of the attention from traders and whale hunters, but I think there are quite a few undiscovered gem out there and are getting ignored. One of my favorites is Schells noble star series. Ive been at bottle shares and it went toe to toe with some Russian river sours and Cascade brewing sours. I think most of the noble star series beers are very well done and underrated simply because they come from a brewery that make some s***ty beers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:52:59 am by burnsie »
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What's your favorite hidden gem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:32:53 am »
Along the same lines of being overlooked because they are made by a Macro, the beers I've tried from Leinenkugel's Big Eddy series have all been great. The Wee Heavy in particular is phenomenal.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:30 am »
I'd add a few of the Sam Adams 'Batch One' series beers. Shows you what they can do when they choose to.
Jon H.

rabeb25

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:59:09 am »
this may have already been done but I was thinking last night, it seems as if an hand full of great beers get most of the attention from traders and whale hunters, but I think there are quite a few undiscovered gem out there and are getting ignored. One of my favorites is Schells noble star series. Ive been at bottle shares and it went toe to toe with some Russian river sours and Cascade brewing sours. I think most of the noble star series beers are very well done and underrated simply because they come from a brewery that make some s***ty beers.

s***ty beers? Says whom?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »
Real Ale in Blanco, Texas (outside of Austin) has some real gems that get overlooked even in the local market. Their base beers were solid and have gone through a revision recently with updated recipes (like Stone). Their real hits are their mysterium vernum series which are barrel aged (some sour, some brett, some clean) versions of some of their regular and seasonal lineup. All really great. Their barleywine, Sisyphus, is superb and holds up really well to aging.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:12 pm »
I really like a lot of Leinenkugel beers, even the every day ones like Creamy Dark. The doppelbock is smoooooth.

I would like to know why only their sh***est beers, like summer shandy, berry weiss, and sunset wheat, make it to Montana? >:(

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:21 am »
I really like a lot of Leinenkugel beers, even the every day ones like Creamy Dark. The doppelbock is smoooooth.

I would like to know why only their sh***est beers, like summer shandy, berry weiss, and sunset wheat, make it to Montana? >:(
+1!!!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:53 am »
I guess I'll buck the trend and go with a brewery that is hidden by being small as opposed to the hidden-in-plain-sight ones mentioned so far. If you ever get a chance try something by Element Brewing Co. in Miller's Falls Ma. I believe it is available throughout Mass. and parts of Vermont. My favorites that are not seasonal are Red Giant and Dark Element. Their beers tend to not fall into strict style categories and seem to me to be made with very high quality ingredients. Really interesting but balanced malt flavors.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:45 am »
I guess I'll buck the trend and go with a brewery that is hidden by being small as opposed to the hidden-in-plain-sight ones mentioned so far. If you ever get a chance try something by Element Brewing Co. in Miller's Falls Ma. I believe it is available throughout Mass. and parts of Vermont. My favorites that are not seasonal are Red Giant and Dark Element. Their beers tend to not fall into strict style categories and seem to me to be made with very high quality ingredients. Really interesting but balanced malt flavors.
Thanks for the tip, Pete. I've seen their beers around, but haven't tried them out yet. I'll have to check them out soon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:51:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Pete. I've seen their beers around, but haven't tried them out yet. I'll have to check them out soon.
Might pick one up after work...
We actually have a 3 liter bottle that we won in a raffle for their anniversary in my cellar. We're breaking it out when we have a party to celebrate the finish of our addition. Its a 17% pilsner so I think we'll need help drinking the 3 liters.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 07:59:40 am »
Parish Brewing Ghost in the Machine, although it's got some underground cred.  I've had traders in California send me messages about it.

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 10:13:45 am »

I will say as a boy from Minnesota grain belt will always have a spot in my fridge.
s***ty beers? Says whom?
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 10:45:14 am »
A few thoughts:

I'm a sucker for Capital Autumnal Fire, which is sort of like a big malty cross between an Oktoberfest and a doppelbock.

Also I can't understand the poor reviews that Baltika 6 Baltic Porter gets on BeerAdvocate, etc.  It's a perfect 10 porter in my book, with notes of brown bread and molasses... mmm......

Anyone try a Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale lately?  If you like malty English beers, good golly, give that one a try.  Full of bread pudding and toffee-ish character.  Belhaven makes some fantastic ones as well.

And then there's always Warsteiner.  Light, dark, I don't care.  My swimming pool in heaven is filled with this stuff.

Can you tell I'm a malthead?  If you really want to find "hidden gems", you need to avoid all the hops and sours.  There's a lot great malty beers to be had out there as well.  The best beers in the world are not all Imperial IPAs and Brett fermented saisons, no sirree.

Here's another one for you..... Gordon Biersch.  Yes, the big chain.  Talk about fantastic German lagers, man...... I'll have a beer with you there anytime.

As for the other previous comments...

Overall I find that Schell's makes some pretty great beers.  The Snowstorm ones are always great.

Hard to beat a Leinie's Honey Weiss on a hot day -- seriously!  Even if most their other beers are crap.  Big Eddy series, sure, I'll age some and drink it after a few years as it often improves.

Interesting how a lot of these are not so much "hidden gems" as they are just plain blown off.  Like Neil Diamond or Karen Carpenter.  You'll always claim to your friends that you think they suck, but when no one else is around you're singing it loudly in your shower.

Lakefront Riverwest Steinbier, anyone?  Another flagship that everyone in Wisconsin drinks all the time, but people not from this area probably never heard of.  Get some.  Drink it.  Savor it.  It really is *that* good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 11:07:50 am »
A few thoughts:

I'm a sucker for Capital Autumnal Fire, which is sort of like a big malty cross between an Oktoberfest and a doppelbock.

Here's another one for you..... Gordon Biersch.  Yes, the big chain.  Talk about fantastic German lagers, man...... I'll have a beer with you there anytime.

Love me some Autumnal Fire.  The blonde doppelbock I had from them was tasty too.

Had a very good Kolsch in a GB sampler not long ago.  Still trying to find bottles of that Golden Export of theirs I had on tap out in the bay area a few years back. 

...ever had Metropolitan's lagers?  I hear pretty good things; thinking of making a stop next time I'm in Chicago.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 11:25:04 am »
I heart the bejeezus out of their Maerzen.  Unfortunately haven't had a chance to hit up the one in NOLA since their new brewer took over.