Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 5699 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Retirement
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:17 pm »
My in-laws have been full time RVing for 23 years. I envy them. Next year I will tie my personal record for living in the same house, ten years. The last time I hit ten years in one place I was 12 years old... so I'm starting to get itchy feet. I might do another ten here though. After that I'm rolling

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 10:26:25 am »
I've been in my current place for 20 years and have no desire to go anywhere else.  There's nowhere better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2015, 11:00:10 am »
This makes 25 years in the same place for me and I'm staying put. Too much "stuff" I'd have to move. I am working on making our place a little lower maintenance. 

Bruce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2015, 02:58:12 pm »
I'm a reverse hoarder. I frequently battle against a strong desire to ditch it all and go bummin around.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 04:06:36 pm »
I've been in my current place for 20 years and have no desire to go anywhere else.  There's nowhere better.

Next month is 12 years in the same house for me. When we bought this place I told my wife the next move would be via pine box.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:12 pm »
I am on day 14. The last house was 18 months. Before that 4 years. Before that 5 years. Before that 3 years.

I need to settle down. Hoping to last to retirement here, but, then again the next good job is always calling.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »
Next year I will tie my personal record for living in the same house, ten years.

I used to be that way with jobs.  The longest that I had ever worked for an employer up until my current employer was 5 years.   I have been with my current employer for almost three times that length, and I have no plans to leave until I retire.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 06:43:09 pm »
Next year I will tie my personal record for living in the same house, ten years.

I used to be that way with jobs.  The longest that I had ever worked for an employer up until my current employer was 5 years.   I have been with my current employer for almost three times that length, and I have no plans to leave until I retire.
6 different homes, same job. The key reason ive been here so long, bought it in 2006. Its almost back to being worth what I paid.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:28 am »

Cross your fingers. I had no plans on leaving my last job, but the recession had other ideas. I got laid off in 2009 just two months before I turned 60. I was S O L from the moment I left the building.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:20 pm »
Now let me tell you about Wisconsin. 6 month winter then hot in summer and road construction. I think this is a great place to retire.
Or you could live in Nebraska we have two seasons here. Winter and the 4th of july

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:04 pm »
Our dream is sell it all, buy an RV lot in western Montana and one in Arizona. Bounce back and forth.

I highly advise against western Montana.  Looking out my window in Helena right now, I estimate visibility to be less than a quarter mile, due to all the smoke from forest fires.  With the ongoing drought, it is just going to get worse.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »
Our dream is sell it all, buy an RV lot in western Montana and one in Arizona. Bounce back and forth.

I highly advise against western Montana.  Looking out my window in Helena right now, I estimate visibility to be less than a quarter mile, due to all the smoke from forest fires.  With the ongoing drought, it is just going to get worse.
Sounds just like here in eastern Washington

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:18 pm »
Our only relief, Jim, is knowing that September is on its way.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 06:46:49 am »
September October is always the best around here. Looking forward to a break from the heat and smoke.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2015, 09:23:07 am »
September October is always the best around here. Looking forward to a break from the heat and smoke.

Indeed, warm days and cool, comfortable nights.  Love it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified