Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 17129 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: It's Official
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:21 am »
The reason I feel we need a LODO subforum is to prevent every thread from turning into a derail.  Like this one, for example.  I wouldn't call for an "advanced" subforum.  I'd ask for a "LODO" one, so the rest of us can discuss other things without as huge a risk of derail on any random topic.  Such as this one.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2017, 10:08:32 am »
The reason I feel we need a LODO subforum is to prevent every thread from turning into a derail.  Like this one, for example.  I wouldn't call for an "advanced" subforum.  I'd ask for a "LODO" one, so the rest of us can discuss other things without as huge a risk of derail on any random topic.  Such as this one.

Then why not just start a LODO thread on an exisiting subforum?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:11 am »
Why sanitize if all are welcome everywhere?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2017, 10:18:01 am »
Don’t bother. Their forum is plenty active on its own and without this noise.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:19 am »
I should not be replying to this thread because it's not worth my time or my effort, nor will it have any impact on any outcome here at the AHA forums....... in fact..... nevermind. Carry on with your "open" dialog - it's amusing.

Big Monk

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2017, 10:43:10 am »
I've been watching this thread for a few days and I considered it a good thing that I deleted my account. Eventually though, the irony of a post I created (yes, I am that Derek) bashing HBT (where our some of our most successful posts reside and where I am regularly posting) was not lost on me. I also just wanted to chime in on a few things.

1.) We have moved on. There are no hard feelings here. We tried a number of times with varying degrees of success on here and other forums to talk about this stuff. We never wanted or advocated for fracturing the forum and I don't believe it's fair (as a fair amount of people have stated) to insinuate that this topic in general had anything to do with it. It is what it is. It's over. We don't post here as much (or in my case at all) anymore.

2.) I have spoken in opposition of a separate sub forum from day one. It doesn't accomplish what people think it will and we have a thriving forum of our own. People from this forum interested in the topic have migrated accordingly.

3.) Now that the dust has settled it should be clear that if you see through the noise that all we were ever after (us at LOB.com and if I can speak for them, the GBF team) was helping people out. It seems that some of the discussions took bad turns at certain points and I've been on both sides. The amount of regular posters from here that migrated to our forum confirms the fact that some found it useful. The response in our threads at HBT also serves to confirm that as well.

We have moved on from the BS associated with arguing the topic. So should everyone else. People interested in talking about the concepts are welcome at the LOB forum. I'm sure the GBF guys feel the same way ultimately.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:44:41 am by Big Monk »

Offline techbrau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 10:43:45 am »
I'm not looking for a "safe space" for myself or LODO or whatever. Even if an advanced forum was made here I doubt I'd be a regular contributor.

I'm offering concrete suggestions for how to attract creative, intelligent new blood that would breathe new life into a forum that continues to grow more stodgy by the day.

I'm not saying my suggestions are the best possible solution, but it's at least an attempt. If you haven't noticed, there's a pattern that keeps happening on this forum where creative, smart people show up with fresh ideas and then ultimately get driven away. The people around here could do well with a little self reflection and consideration as to why that keeps happening.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:50:29 am by techbrau »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:21 am »
Dave

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2017, 10:55:36 am »

Altered Beast is available as an app along with a bunch of other Genesis games.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2017, 10:58:08 am »
Altered Beast is available as an app along with a bunch of other Genesis games.

I heard that!  My brother downloaded some old stuff, actually for NES though not Genesis.
Dave

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2017, 12:16:16 pm »
2) Find a way to facilitate “advanced”/R&D oriented discussion for those interested in it. This could be as simple as a creating an “advanced” subforum on the AHA forum. I don’t mean a LODO subforum - I mean a discussion space where the next LODO could be postulated and developed.

I don't think this is a bad idea.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
2) Find a way to facilitate “advanced”/R&D oriented discussion for those interested in it. This could be as simple as a creating an “advanced” subforum on the AHA forum. I don’t mean a LODO subforum - I mean a discussion space where the next LODO could be postulated and developed.

Why can't that be done in the existing structure?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2017, 12:39:27 pm »

Because those topics often get flooded with “i’ve brewed 4,000,000 batches of beer, it tastes great, and I’ve never done this” or “brulosphy and/or exp brewing proved that brewing with pool water is indistinguishable from RO

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2017, 12:46:26 pm »

Because those topics often get flooded with “i’ve brewed 4,000,000 batches of beer, it tastes great, and I’ve never done this” or “brulosphy and/or exp brewing proved that brewing with pool water is indistinguishable from RO

why would a separate forum change that?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

It's Official
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2017, 12:50:05 pm »
Can’t hurt. Think of it as the beaded curtain at the back of the video store. It acts as a notice that stuff is about to get weird.