Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 17124 times)

Derek

It's Official
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:40:17 pm »
I'm migrating permanently to this forum. This is the HBT post that pushed me over the edge.

So pointless I nearly screamed at my phone.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=540627

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: It's Official
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
That thread seemed pretty mild. I like cans fine, but I have had some crappy cans. One brewery, can't remember which, always overfilled the cans which makes a mess when opening and pouring.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:48:56 pm »
The guys whole point was that breweries using cans means he can't use their bottles.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:55:31 pm »
Honestly not trying to troll, really truly not trolling.

So what? That's his issue.

If a brewery offers both, I opt for bottles over cans so I can save the bottles. If you see me on TLC, please don't judge.

I think it comes from when I moved and decided to not pay the moving company to bring my empties. When I got here, the LHBS was selling bottles for $15 when I was used to paying $9.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
Just saying that, with all the mediocre (and worse) beer out there, I'm glad I don't rule out breweries exclusively based on cans or bottles - there are some excellent canned beers out there. I do remember back when I bottled more - just seems a little rigid to have that as a sole criteria, though.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:22:28 pm »
It's nearly the same kind of discussion that blows up on Reddit. Shame I paid for a lifetime sub at HBT and about 6 month later just gave up. At least Austin and the gang are making an effort to change the tone over there. I still love sparring with AJ occasionally.

Love the level of mastery, advice and welcome camaraderie here that is unusual on the internet.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »

It's nearly the same kind of discussion that blows up on Reddit. Shame I paid for a lifetime sub at HBT and about 6 month later just gave up. At least Austin and the gang are making an effort to change the tone over there. I still love sparring with AJ occasionally.

Love the level of mastery, advice and welcome camaraderie here that is unusual on the internet.
I don't get reddit.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:24:10 pm »

It's true -- this site has a very welcoming atmosphere and hardly any bad words exchanged without any (or very little unless I'm missing something) moderation required.

I seem to get in pissing matches all over the internet except for here and the NB forums.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 06:08:44 am »
Volume and stupidity are what have kept me off the HBT forum altogether.  I am on pretty much almost every other forum besides HBT.  Except in recent months activity has died down on all forums except for AHA which is now my favorite.  Damned kids and their Facebook and texting crap..... ;)

Welcome to the right place to be, Derek.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 06:53:33 am »
Welcome to your new home.   :)

When I think about how to open a brewery cans always seem like the way to go to me.  Less packaging weight, no light enters the packaging but the main reason is that in Iowa, no glass bottles are allowed in the state parks.  Campers, fishermen and just people spending the day at the park or the beach are a large summer market here.  Seems like a slice of the market I wouldn't want to leave behind.

Some beers deserve bottles but a guy who will only buy bottled beer because he refuses to buy new ones has a very short sighted perspective.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:33 am »
In Texas, alcohol isn't allowed in state parks.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:13 am »
In Texas, alcohol isn't allowed in state parks.

Don't think it's allowed in NH state parks either. Although we rented a pavilion type area at a local NH state park for a party, and they told us to keep it in cans and keep it cool and they wouldn't bother us.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:23 am »

That thread seemed pretty mild. I like cans fine, but I have had some crappy cans. One brewery, can't remember which, always overfilled the cans which makes a mess when opening and pouring.
It is important to fill can all the way up. If there is too much head space you will have a flat beer.

This can be a challenge with smaller canning lines.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:16 am »

It is important to fill can all the way up. If there is too much head space you will have a flat beer.

This can be a challenge with smaller canning lines.
You just be right there Leos. It's a smaller operation so I doubt their canning line is hi-tech

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 10:02:48 am »
The guys whole point was that breweries using cans means he can't use their bottles.

Whenever I need more bottles (rarely) I take a stroll around the neighborhood on recycling day.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women