Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1187 for an APA  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Wyeast 1187 for an APA
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 02:23:56 pm »
Not that I can recall, but it is possible.  If so, never more than once.

I'll give it a try.  Looks like it will be time for a 10 gallon batch and a side-by-side fermentation.

I've got to get some Belgians in the pipeline, too, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »
Most of the British seasonals that White Labs offers should have more British character than WLP002, which is probably why they are seasonals.  Have you ever tried Wyeast 1318?

This is supposedly what Tired Hands Brewing uses for their APA, although that beer is heavily hopped so I'm not sure the character would be noticeable.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 02:43:42 pm »
This is supposedly what Tired Hands Brewing uses for their APA, although that beer is heavily hopped so I'm not sure the character would be noticeable.

Pitching rate and fermentation temperature also play into the final profile.  That being said, most of the strains available from Wyeast and White Labs are fairly mild compared to some of the strains that are directly available in the UK.   I have had a few that I imported from Brewlab that were too flavor positive for me.  We are talking Belgian strain flavor positive, especially with respect to phenol production.

I have a strain in my bank that I need to revisit this winter. The strain is CBS 1171, which is an ale strain that was isolated at the Oranjeboom Brewery in February of 1925.  I have only used it one time, and it produced a little too much amyl acetate for my tastes.   

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »
Extrapolate, please.  Too bland?  Other than real Ringwood (which we can't get) what would you use?

I'll be tempted to do a split batch and compare.

"WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast

Traditional English style, single strain yeast. Produces signature ester character, and does not mask hop character. Leaves ale with a slightly sweet malt character. Best for bitters, milds, porters, and stouts. Also good for Scottish style ales."

I want to get me some of this!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 11:05:08 pm »
Is there a readily available commercial beer that is bottle conditioned with the true ringwood strain and from which it can be cultured?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 07:29:32 am »
Is there a readily available commercial beer that is bottle conditioned with the true ringwood strain and from which it can be cultured?
Here's your starting point. I'm not sure who bottle conditions on this list, but even if it isn't bottle conditioned, an unfiltered bottle may get you enough yeast to start stepping up a culture:

http://www.pugsleybrewing.com/pugsleysinstallations.php

Coming from New England, I'm familiar with a lot of these breweries. Most of them produce good beer, some of them produce excellent beer, but a handful produce dirty butter-bombs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 07:44:27 am »

The Pugsley-built craft breweries use sterile filtering.   The culture is multi-strain with two primary strains and usually several variants that can differ from brewery to brewery.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:50:16 am by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 07:48:34 am »

Traditional English style, single strain yeast. Produces signature ester character, and does not mask hop character. Leaves ale with a slightly sweet malt character. Best for bitters, milds, porters, and stouts. Also good for Scottish style ales."

We need to start a write-in campaign to get White Labs to offer WLP033 at least as a seasonal.   Companies are in business to make money.  If there is enough demand, White Labs will propagate it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:32:38 pm by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2015, 07:53:00 am »
Coming from New England, I'm familiar with a lot of these breweries. Most of them produce good beer, some of them produce excellent beer, but a handful produce dirty butter-bombs.

I get more butterscotch than butter when Ringwood is not handled correctly.   Like most Yorkshire cultures, Ringwood has high O2 demands.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2015, 08:12:47 am »

I get more butterscotch than butter when Ringwood is not handled correctly.   Like most Yorkshire cultures, Ringwood has high O2 demands.
I usually pick it up as movie-theater popcorn in the aftertaste. It is especially pronounced retronasally and in the beer burps to me.

And even the worst offenders with Ringwood aren't half as bad as whatever Red Hook is doing, while we're on the topic.
Eric B.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 05:38:22 pm »

[/quote]

We need to start a write-in campaign to get White Labs to offer WLP033 at least as a seasonal.   Companies are in business to make money.  If there is enough demand, White Labs will propagate it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'll drop them a line.

I'm a lover of English bitter, but I'm always dissapointed that I can't seem to make them like they make them across the pond. I would love to even come close to some of the real ales that I  had when I was there.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2015, 06:50:48 pm »
Yeah, I'll drop them a line.

I'm a lover of English bitter, but I'm always dissapointed that I can't seem to make them like they make them across the pond. I would love to even come close to some of the real ales that I  had when I was there.

If we can get enough people to request WLP033, White Labs will propagate it.  It has a ester profile when young that can best be described as lollipop.   I know that description sounds weird, but it is really good in a balanced SMaSH bitter made with high-quality English pale malt and EKG.  I maintained the BrewTek incarnation of WLP033 on slant for ten years because I could not keep beer made with it on tap at my house.   Even my BMC drinking family members loved it.  That SMaSH bitter and Pre-Pro Pils made with the Christian Schmidt strain were my most popular beers before I took an extended hiatus from the hobby due to brewer burnout.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »
Actually, Wyeast discontinued WY1742 Swedish Porter yeast, which they got from Carnegie Porter, when they discovered that it was the same as their WY1187 Ringwood yeast.  They were selling the same yeast under different numbers at the same time.

I believe that  Sinebrychoff is another baltic porter made with this yeast.  I think brewing baltic porters wih lager yeast is more of a Polish-Russian thing.
Interesting. I just picked up some Sinebrychoff recently. I will have to give it a taste-test with that in mind. Maybe I can convince my palate that there is some diacetyl hidden in there armed with this info  ;)
Maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I'm picking up some definite ale-like characteristics from the Sinebrychoff in my glass right now. In particular, there's this almond/stonefruit character that is distinctly British ale-like.

There was a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I think I'll try stepping it up to see if there's any viable yeast in there. If there's a thick meringue of krausen, then it may indeed be Ringwood. I'd be amused if after the multiple discussions about where to get true Ringwood cultures the answer turned out to be a Baltic Porter from Finland.
Eric B.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 08:45:46 am »
It has a ester profile when young that can best be described as lollipop.
I have picked up something in fresh Deschutes Red Chair that I could describe as "lollipop". My initial thoughts on it's description was candy and jolly ranchers (not green apple) - but lollipop might be a better description. AFAIK, I don't think their strain has been pinpointed to a specific commercial strain, but has been suggested that it's towards the 1187/1948 hemisphere of character (i.e. british with decent ester production). I think most of deschutes beers are filtered though :(

WLP033 is not identified as a seasonal yeast yet does not seem to be carried by any brewing supply shops I contacted. What's the deal there? Is it commercial use only or just random release only?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 10:57:25 am »
By the way, I do not know how much pull you have with Wyeast, but I would appreciate your putting a plug in for me.  I have been waiting for them to re-release Wyeast 2272, so that I do not have to purchase it from Siebel.   I do not believe that Wyeast has released 2272 since 2011.

Probably about as much as you or anyone else.  They'll release it if they get enough demand, I would think.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell