Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addiction  (Read 13185 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Hop addiction
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:35 pm »
Same here on the Mittelfrueh being 14'.  I have no problem buying 14' hops.  I'm going to compare my last years buy to the fresh 15 hops.  I'm guessing my nose maybe can tell fresh, once in a brew, probably not.  Looking forward to some of these I've never used.  When do the 15' noble hops make it to market? 
Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:03 am »
Same here on the Mittelfrueh being 14'.  I have no problem buying 14' hops.  I'm going to compare my last years buy to the fresh 15 hops.  I'm guessing my nose maybe can tell fresh, once in a brew, probably not.  Looking forward to some of these I've never used.  When do the 15' noble hops make it to market?
Normally imported hops show up just after the holidays. Shipping and customs are the lag.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2015, 12:29:39 am »
Thanks to the Nikobrew sale I now have 6 pounds of hops that will be in the freezer :/
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2015, 12:59:49 am »
I started buying from the West Coast when Mark Garetz opened HopTech (He sold the business years ago).  The difference between what Mark sold and what was available in the general home brew trade at that point in time was like the difference between night and day.  Even though things have improved, the home brew trade is at the bottom of the hop totem pole.  Not only are 1oz packages expensive, they are at the bottom of the bottom of the hop totem pole.   Plus, I prefer to purchase as close as possible to the grower.

I tell ya, you want Hop Heaven.  Ted is a BJCP Grand Master.  He drives from his house in eastern OR to Yakima and hand selects his hops from the growers.  He and his wife pack them themselves.  He bought over 35K lb. last year.  You will not find better quality hops...at least I haven't!
I think he was one of the Masters who set the bar for my tasting exam. Said he had just bought a uhaul full and was doing the exam on his way home to bend (I think)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2015, 09:43:34 am »

I think he was one of the Masters who set the bar for my tasting exam. Said he had just bought a uhaul full and was doing the exam on his way home to bend (I think)

Close...Baker, not Bend.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2015, 09:57:15 am »
Hop Heaven has fair prices too. My only very minor issue is when going for the more popular hops, they tend to be bundled with other hops. I'm normally buying a bunch at once, so it usually doesn't bother me.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:39 am »
I was really close to hitting several hop deals this weekend but I looked in the freezer and realized I still have way too much of what I bought this year that needs to be used up. These sales will roll around next year, right about the time my current supply wipes out.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »
I cut commercial hops entirely out of my brewing.  My home hop yard is now at the scale that I can be "hop independent"- harvested over 3 lbs. (dry) of the freshest hops I can have.  I have enough successful varieties to brew American, German, and English styles that I enjoy.  Sorry hop sellers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
I cut commercial hops entirely out of my brewing.  My home hop yard is now at the scale that I can be "hop independent"- harvested over 3 lbs. (dry) of the freshest hops I can have.  I have enough successful varieties to brew American, German, and English styles that I enjoy.  Sorry hop sellers!

I went the other way....I found it too much of a hassle to keep growing mine when I could get such great quality commercial for so little $$.  For an example, I spent hours caring for, harvesting and packaging my Cascades  only to have so much that I couldn't possibly use it all in a year.  I realized that for $8 I could buy a lb. of Cascade which would be all I'd need in a year and they were at least as good quality as the ones I grew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »
I can't say I've really monitored the price of the hops before, but I looked tonight since I was just there today.  Willamette @ $1.90 per oz, Liberty @ $1.70 per oz.  Plus I get a 10% discount. 

From personal experience, everything that I have received direct from the West Coast has been heads and shoulders above what is sold in mylar bags at my LHBS, and my LHBS turns over hops.  I usually pay $1.00 or less per ounce shipped to my door for new harvest hops (prices are up this year). My LHBS is a 70 mile round-trip drive, and I have no idea as to when the hops were harvested.  A lot of the cultivars that I purchase are grown by Puterbaugh Farms, so that is a win-win for me.  I know that Cluster is not high on the average home brewer's list of desirable hops, but Puterbaugh Farm's routinely grows top-quality Cluster.  Legacy is also an interesting hop for those who like Cluster.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2015, 04:40:55 pm »
Maybe I got them in a bad year, but the Legacy I tried didn't have much flavor at all. I've heard good reviews from other years' harvests, though.

Mark, if you're ever looking to branch out a bit, Wai-iti from NZ might be of interest. It has a massive blackcurrant character up front, with more typical southern hemisphere notes of passionfruit and lime way in the background. Sort of reminds me of a NZ take on Cluster.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2015, 06:50:33 pm »
Posting here since it is already a hop topic.  Just kegged an APA made with Falconer's Flight.  Hoping the taste improves a bit in the keg.  It's not bad but maybe a bit muted?  Any other experience with this hop?
.7 oz Centennial first wort
1 oz Falconer's Flight @ 5 min left
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's hopstand 10 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight dry hop

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »
 YVH just emailed out their Cyber Monday promo. Lots of bulk packs of 2014 hops for $40

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2015, 07:47:17 pm »
YVH just emailed out their Cyber Monday promo. Lots of bulk packs of 2014 hops for $40

The Citra, Galaxy, Cent, and Equinox pack has my name on it!
Frank

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2015, 11:59:14 pm »
A few years back, I tossed 10-15 lb. of very old hops.  That kinda cured me of over ordering...or at least made me cut back some!

I will more than likely end up giving a portion of each pound away to other brewers.    I gave away a sealed one pound mylar bag of whole Tettnanger not long ago.  Purchasing directly from the West Coast in multi-pound lots to save on shipping brings the per ounce price down to the point where I can be generous with other brewers.  I have yet to meet a brewer who will not take free hops as long as they are still in good shape.  I wish that Hops Direct would sell half pound packages.  Yakima Valley sells half pound packages, but I have received less than stellar hops from them in the past.

I can attest to Mark's addiction(s), having just counted said 1 lb. bag of Tettnanger in my freezer with 3 or 4 pounds of other hops.  Might need to plan something Germanic for them very soon.

And Mark, if you're interested in splitting one pound bags of any particular hops from Hops Direct, just hit me up in advance
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org