Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ah yes, winter brewing  (Read 6174 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Ah yes, winter brewing
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 09:50:46 am »
I resemble the Friar; however, I am not the Friar.   :D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »
I set out to make enough beer this summer to hold me over for the winter months. That didnt work out (i think alot of my beer evaporated, i couldnt have drank it all!).
Luckily, its been extremely mild here in Michigan this winter. I was able to brew four batches of beer over the Thanksgiving holiday and could use the outside hose for chilling because nothing is frozen yet.
Its not that I'm against brewing in the winter, its just that my old bones prefer the milder weather. And its nice to be able to use my chiller without a bucket and a pump. Looks like I may be able to squeeze in a few more brewing sessions before it gets cold!
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 04:54:20 pm »
I brewed every weekend in October and two were 8 gal batches so i have a nice stash, but it wont last so im getting another in this weekend. Seems like i brew more in the cool months starting in october. I do have a heated garage so that helps. summer brewing is nice but I cant keep it cool enough.
Jimmykx250

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 08:19:17 pm »
I resemble the Friar; however, I am not the Friar.   :D
I've always been wondering, too, if that was you or not. Now we know!

I love winter brewing. No bugs, cold tap water for chilling, boiling warms up the house...it's great. Plus I can ferment at ambient temps for ales and leave my fridge for lagers. Since I don't do much for ales anymore, that isn't as much of a concern, but it's still nice to have the option. I keep my house pretty cool in the winter months.  It's 64F inside right now and about 30F outside.
Jesse

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:16 am »
Seem like a cold front is here now.  It's 61F.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 06:43:53 am »
I always forget the extra little pains of brewing in the winter. Its been hitting 15° every night for a while. Hoses frozen, pump frozen, had to use rv tanks because my little 5s frost up too quick. Can't hold mash temp with my yoga mat coozie, so relearning how much flame to hold temp on recirculation. Fun times

Yoga mat coozie?  Do you use it on a cooler or do you use it on a metal heated kettle?  My mash tun is a Blichmann BoilerMaker that is directly fired.  I'm wondering if I were to use a yoga mat, if it would melt?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 07:57:37 am »
I always forget the extra little pains of brewing in the winter. Its been hitting 15° every night for a while. Hoses frozen, pump frozen, had to use rv tanks because my little 5s frost up too quick. Can't hold mash temp with my yoga mat coozie, so relearning how much flame to hold temp on recirculation. Fun times

Yoga mat coozie?  Do you use it on a cooler or do you use it on a metal heated kettle?  My mash tun is a Blichmann BoilerMaker that is directly fired.  I'm wondering if I were to use a yoga mat, if it would melt?
It was in the Zymurgy gadget issue a couple years back. Unfortunately I dont have a photo in my tablet right now. Its like an upside down foam pot that I built which after ive shut of the flame, I slide that down over the stainless mash tun. In summer I dont need it, fall and spring it holds temp, in winter I dont use it and simply run a low flame with my recirculation going.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 04:11:05 pm »
My kitchen, February 7.  Five gallons.  Three kettles.  It works.  Plus, the snow makes for a very cheap and easy chiller method.

Funny, I had always thought that Dave's picture was of the Prince of Thieves version of Friar Tuck, but its really you?
EDIT: I thought that because of your quote. I'm still 50/50 on this, not sure.

TOTALLY!! Me too.  Had me fooled as well. 

narvin

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
It's funny, I couldn't wait to get out of the kitchen in my early brewing years.  Now that I go outside with propane, pump, 20 gallon kettle, etc, I really just want to brew in the kitchen anytime the weather is below 50.

Offline Stevie

Ah yes, winter brewing
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:42 pm »
Hate to rub it in, but this is the weather I have to look forward to starting next month.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »
That's perfect, Steve. I love brewing in those temps. That would be autumn here in eastern Iowa. But brewing in the kitch is totally awesome too. Perfect weather year round.
Jesse

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »
I guess we all get used to working within the annual range of temps and other seasonal factors that impact our brew sessions.  I've always loved winter brewing.  Brewing in winter in Spokane, WA outside, in my situation I keep an eye on weather reports and brew on days above freezing so no frozen hoses or creating a skating rink. 

Luckily I have a very good LHBS so no worries about frozen yeast in the mail, etc. and an advance call to him ensures he will add any liquid yeast order needed if he doesn't have it in inventory.

The best part here is very little in the way of airborne particulate and no bugs, and the very cold ground water temp that makes chilling 11 gallons a breeze with my immersion chiller.  Also it's a source of activity and getting out of the house.  I don't mind dressing more warmly to adapt to a little chilly weather.  Still, I must admit that the couple winters I lived and brewed outside in more temperate Maryland made winter brewing a milder, more relaxed, obstacle-free and sometimes spontaneous experience in comparison.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 09:14:25 am »
I brewed yesterday in my garage.  It was about 26 degrees...Celsius.  Muggy too.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:00 am »
For some reason this winter has felt like a wet, muggy spring in Philly so far. Think we only had one brutally cold day.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:18 am »
For some reason this winter has felt like a wet, muggy spring in Philly so far. Think we only had one brutally cold day.
Same here in southern New England. We went for a walk around the neighborhood on Christmas day after dinner, one of us in shorts, and all remarked how it was colder on Halloween when we took the kids trick-or-treating.

Pretty cold today, though, and the first snow is expected tonight.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer