Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I haven't had a dumper in awhile...  (Read 3501 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
I haven't had a dumper in awhile...
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:04 am »
I can't remember the last time I had to dump a beer...maybe 2-3 years ago. Anyway, I did a partigyle brew about 2 weeks ago. I used the first runnings for an American Barleywine and for the second runnings I added some more grain (Two-row and Crystal) so the beer wouldn't taste too thin. Well, I tasted it today and it tastes thin and has diacetyl. It also has a weird mineral aftertaste. I've done partigyle a few times before with better results, but I think this might be the last time. I haven't tasted the Barleywine yet, so I hope I at least get one good brew from that long brew day. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: I haven't had a dumper in awhile...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:41 am »
That sucks, man. I dumped a batch earlier this year. You brew enough beer it's gonna happen, but it doesn't make it feel any better.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:28:05 am »
Not me. I have had a few close, but they were passable for my needs. I brew mostly sub 5%, so it doesn't take long to kick a keg.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:43:24 am »
I stopped doing double batches like that a long time ago.  Simply because one batch would ALWAYS suffer.  I would be so busy that I would forget something or not pay close attention to detail for my liking which many times resulted in an inferior product.  Not worth the extra time or money IMO, unless more beer is needed for a specific event (i.e. party, holiday, etc).  Now I just focus on one batch at a time and make sure that batch is made as well as I can make beer on that given day. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:25:40 pm »
I have one in a keg right now that is questionable.  I think it picked up something in secondary which is very unusual but I say that because the next beer that was made with that same yeast (1028) is fine.  It has a sort of clovey off-taste and I smelled it on the way to the keg but hoped it was my imagination.  The key here is that bad beer cannot take up valuable space in your kegs, no way.  Just dump it and move on to better beer.  Sorry for the loss.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:53:09 pm »
I have one in a keg right now that is questionable.  I think it picked up something in secondary which is very unusual but I say that because the next beer that was made with that same yeast (1028) is fine.  It has a sort of clovey off-taste and I smelled it on the way to the keg but hoped it was my imagination.  The key here is that bad beer cannot take up valuable space in your kegs, no way.  Just dump it and move on to better beer.  Sorry for the loss.
Good point. Like Denny says, you only get one liver, so destroy it wisely. Unless, of course, you get a transplant, in which case you aren't allowed to drink alcohol anyway.
I dumped a whole keg of oatmeal stout earlier this year. Man, that was painful. Seeing a full, carbonated keg go down the drain damn near brought tears to my eyes. But, like you said, it's valuable keg space being taken up. Gotta dump it and move on.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:11:12 pm »
Good point. Like Denny says, you only get one liver, so destroy it wisely. Unless, of course, you get a transplant, in which case you aren't allowed to drink alcohol anyway.
I dumped a whole keg of oatmeal stout earlier this year. Man, that was painful. Seeing a full, carbonated keg go down the drain damn near brought tears to my eyes. But, like you said, it's valuable keg space being taken up. Gotta dump it and move on.
Right.  But that is not to say that all beer you taste should be thrown out, clearly.  Some beer needs more time to develop, sometimes an off-flavor is temporary and sometimes even our tastebuds are tricking us or maybe we have a cold or we're taking medicine that impacts our tastebuds.  But when all those reasons are out the window... I've gotten pretty good at identifying which beers are just not going to make it to my liver.  :D  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »
Yeah, this beer is kegged and carbed. I don't have a problem with dumping a beer if it's not good, just a bit bummed because it would be the only session level beer on tap. I just hope the Barleywine made with the first runnings is fine because I take a lot of pride with this beer every year and it does very well in competitions. I'm going to have a six year vertical Barleywine tasting this year with my club and I wanted to have this fresh example ready for comparisons.
Dan Chisholm

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 06:50:42 pm »
I recently dumped my most expensive beer yet. It was a Barleywine clocking in at ~1.100. It smelled awesome and even tasted great on the first sample I took from Primary. Fast forward a few months, and the beer tastes awful. Not sure what happened, and your guess is as good as mine, but something nasty took hold and ruined the whole batch.

The kicker... This beer was meant to be bottled and handed out as a gift to guests at my wedding. Instead the drain got to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 09:49:35 pm »
I actually find dumping beer to be somewhat therapeutic as it somewhat verifies that I am neither an alcoholic or a hoarder.  Those, of course, are my self-determinations.  :D

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 07:16:25 am »
A dumper always sucks, but I'm always for if it's not any good I don't worry about it. Too much good beer to brew and drink to waste time on something that didn't make the mark. I share a lot of my beer, I actually don't drink much so if it's not something I'm happy with or wouldn't want to drink I wont pass it on to anyone else either.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 07:22:24 am »
Okay, so slightly off-topic:  We agree that if you have a dumper, you dump it.  What if you have a beer that did not come out as you envisioned and you could honestly say, "this is not very good" but it's not really a dumper?  Maybe it's finishing slightly sweet or it has some slight ester or phenols or something along the edges and it's drinkable but it's not your best beer.  Do you "choke it down" or do you adjust it post-fermentation or do you dump it?
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:27 am »
I choke it down. I blend it if I can. I only have 2 taps, so a lot of times the blend is not a good taste or I don't want to mess up the good beer by blending it with bad.

I have fixed beer a few times post fermentation. All were diacetyl bombs. I warmed the keg up and krausened (add a high krausen starter to the beer). Works great for that case.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 07:30:52 am »
Okay, so slightly off-topic:  We agree that if you have a dumper, you dump it.  What if you have a beer that did not come out as you envisioned and you could honestly say, "this is not very good" but it's not really a dumper?  Maybe it's finishing slightly sweet or it has some slight ester or phenols or something along the edges and it's drinkable but it's not your best beer.  Do you "choke it down" or do you adjust it post-fermentation or do you dump it?
Usually I sip on them till I have something better and start to realize the less than great beer is just taking up space. Then I dump it.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
Usually I sip on them till I have something better and start to realize the less than great beer is just taking up space. Then I dump it.
I either fill up growlers and take it over to my friends house for Monday Night Football or like Jim, if I still have 3+ gallons of a keg that nobody's drinking it gets dumped.
Dan Chisholm