Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blue Apron  (Read 4204 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Blue Apron
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:54:06 am »
I've never posted here, but after last night's meal I'm motivated to.  My wife and I subscribe to a meal delivery service called Blue Apron.  For $60 per week we get three meals for two people.  All the ingredients are there, with no waste.  They takes typically 30 minutes to prepare.

Anyway, last night was a 10.  It was "Korean Tteok & Spicy Pork Ragu."  Wow good.  Spicy with depth of flavor, great texture contrasts...  I could go on.

You know it was good when you're still thinking about it the next morning!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Blue Apron
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:17 am »
I've never posted here, but after last night's meal I'm motivated to.  My wife and I subscribe to a meal delivery service called Blue Apron.  For $60 per week we get three meals for two people.  All the ingredients are there, with no waste.  They takes typically 30 minutes to prepare.

Anyway, last night was a 10.  It was "Korean Tteok & Spicy Pork Ragu."  Wow good.  Spicy with depth of flavor, great texture contrasts...  I could go on.

I heard an add for them the other day and it reminded me of a food version of brewing kits. Great idea.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:51:21 am »
I guess I always think of these types of things as
1. something the upper-middle class / upper class can afford
2. something that is worth it's value once in a while but not on a multiple times a week every week basis

Here is a groupon if anyone is interested, but it does appear to be automatic re-order unless you cancel
https://www.groupon.com/deals/blue-apron-27

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:29:50 am »
Agreed. Not for young working class raising a family.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »
On the other hand, it's harder to save money when you're cooking for two unless you want to eat leftovers all week (which we do for lunch sometimes). Theyjack up the prices of small portions at any grocery store in a middle class area (Safeway has three "tiers" based on how much they think they can soak you for).  Spices, fresh vegetables, dairy products, etc all have a limited shelf life.  So small portions that are just enough for a meal can be a great idea.

I just bought a whole packer brisket since it was on sale for $2.99 a pound.  I'm not really saving money, but my friends are going to eat well!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:39 am »
What's wrong with leftovers? We cook for 4-6 people and eat the extras for lunches during the week. If we have extra leftovers, we make "B for D" (breakfast for dinner) so we don't have anything leftover but it's still a proper meal. Love B for D nights, especially now that I can knock out Eggs Benny in about 15'. ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:15:48 am »
My wife and I have been using Blue Apron for about six weeks and we've been really impressed.  The best parts for me are:

- The variety of the meals has been great, and out of ~20 meals, only two of them have been less than excellent flavor to our tastes.

- Food waste has dropped dramatically since we weren't all that good about eating things before they went bad.  With this service you get what you need and only what you need for the meals so nothing goes to waste.

- I think we're actually saving money because it was very easy for us to drop $60 for a single dinner out (with drinks) because we were tired of the same old same old. Combined, I believe our grocery and restaurant bills have dropped by more than the cost of the service.

I assume that it probably wouldn't work all that well if somebody has kids that are picky eaters, and I also know that it isn't within everyone's budget, but I'm sure glad we gave it a try.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »
As someone who loves to cook I have trouble wrapping my head around this. Are the meals prepared and you just heat them up or do you get all the separate ingredients and recipes to follow? If the latter, do you get pre-chopped vegetables and pre made sauces etc?
It seems like a very limited market if its not just heating it up, otherwise its just people who kind of want to cook but don't want to do some of the work.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:33 pm »
As someone who loves to cook I have trouble wrapping my head around this. Are the meals prepared and you just heat them up or do you get all the separate ingredients and recipes to follow? If the latter, do you get pre-chopped vegetables and pre made sauces etc?
It seems like a very limited market if its not just heating it up, otherwise its just people who kind of want to cook but don't want to do some of the work.

It's ingredients and recipes, but they aren't already cut up and you do make the sauces from the ingredients provided.  The fresh herbs come in the right quantity so you don't have more than you need and the same is true if there is another unusual ingredient that you'd need to buy a whole bottle of and not use again for a long time (if ever).  Last night's dinner had a quarter of a watermelon radish, just enough bread crumbs, and just enough fresh thyme for the dinner.  If I'd have shopped for those items myself, I'd have a lot left over that I would probably not end up using.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »

It's ingredients and recipes, but they aren't already cut up and you do make the sauces from the ingredients provided.  The fresh herbs come in the right quantity so you don't have more than you need and the same is true if there is another unusual ingredient that you'd need to buy a whole bottle of and not use again for a long time (if ever).  Last night's dinner had a quarter of a watermelon radish, just enough bread crumbs, and just enough fresh thyme for the dinner.  If I'd have shopped for those items myself, I'd have a lot left over that I would probably not end up using.
I see. I guess the market is for someone who doesn't eat at home every night. We cook just about every day at home so nothing goes to waste. I start a meal by looking in the fridge to see what needs to be used first.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
There was a business here in town for a while where you could go in and package meals for yourself and take home and freeze until you needed them.  All the chopping and cutting was done for you already.  My friends who tried it said you just picked your recipes and then assembled each dish and put it in an aluminum foil pan.  Stick the recipe card on the top and you were done.

I never tried it.  With 4 kids at home having too much food is not normally the problem.   :D

I love to cook large meals.  Leftovers get used in our house or serving size packets get vacuum sealed and frozen for later.  Most mornings when I'm throwing lunch together for work I find that everything I thought was in the fridge is gone already.

Someday, a service like that may be handy to have available but I personally can't see us using it a lot.

Paul

EDIT *** Added a couple words I missed on the first pass.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 02:13:17 pm »
I see. I guess the market is for someone who doesn't eat at home every night. We cook just about every day at home so nothing goes to waste. I start a meal by looking in the fridge to see what needs to be used first.

Same here. Building meals off of the remains of the last one's prep is a pretty simple way of not wasting food if you have time for thinking. My procedure is usually to look in the freezer to see what protein is in there, then the pantry for any accompanying items. Whatever is missing from that gets bought at the store. Then I try and figure out what I can make with the remains of that meal... and so on and so forth.

I'm sure life will change in due time and I won't be able to have the forethought that requires though.  :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:01 am »
I'm fairly diligent about my diet and have little problem eating the same thing multiple days in the week so I've always been able to cook efficiently for myself by making a handful of meals on the weekend and eating them through the week. It really cuts down that desire to stop and get something unhealthy because I always know there is a meal ready to go at home. I can easily count out calories and macronutrients that way. I buy exactly what I need and cook it all over the weekend so there aren't many ingredients sitting around to go bad. I got my wife on the same thought process when we were dating so it's easy to do the same thing for both of us. We don't have kids but that would make that whole system pretty much impossible.

I can see how a service like Blue Apron makes a lot of sense especially if you lack the time or desire to plan out your food and try to figure out how to avoid throwing away a lot of excess food. There's a premium to be paid for it but if you'd end up going out to eat and/or tossing out unused food at the end of the week then the difference in price is probably negligible and maybe less if you eat out a lot.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 09:40:48 pm »

My brother was asking me about this service. I'll pass on the positive feedback and he can decide about whether it's right for him.

His main issue was the freshness of the package. I told him they probably only service the radius around major metropolitan areas. Montana? Perhaps not.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 10:11:45 pm »
I agree, but one never knows.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton