Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental All Oat Ale:Results are in!  (Read 13041 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental All Oat Ale
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:01 pm »
Will do! yeah after making a pretty bad 5 gallon Belgian wit I decided all experiments will be done on the 1 gallon scale

Also in the event that this beer is a keeper I have already dubbed this beer "Rock the Oat" Ale. So lame but so clever.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:33 pm »
For the record, I really LOVE the concept for this beer!  Whether it ends up tasting awesome or not, it NEEDS to be brewed!!  I want to do this now.  I'm gonna brew an all oat beer this year!!  Yeah!!

Personally I would skip a protein rest and probably just go with a single infusion at like 150 F for 75 minutes.  Maybe throw in an acid rest if I think it needs it, or not.  No need to go too hog wild with step mashing in my humble opinion, although I've never done this before so maybe it would actually be helpful?  Not entirely sure.

Definitely keep us all posted!!!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:19 pm »
I plan on ordering all the ingredients tomorrow morning. Here is my 1 Gallon batch.
1.7lbs Oat Malt
.11lbs Golden Naked Oats
.33lbs Flaked oats
.11 Rice Hulls
Cluster Hops for about 20 IBU
The one thing I cant decided on is yeast. I have harvested WLP568 that I don't really want to use. I have WLP036 also but again don't want for this beer. I am thinking like US-05 or  Nottingham or s-04 I cant decided any suggestions??
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 05:52:57 am »
How about an altbier yeast 1007, or maybe the dry lager W-34/70.  I think I might try one of those when I brew this.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:17 am »
So the ingredients are in and I will probably brew a little later this week. I picked up some us-05 and us-04 so I will probably use one of those. I will probably use the us05 to keep it clean. I will post again when the brew day commences.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 03:07:45 am »
So. Did this beer get brewed?

I'd be sad if it didn't :(
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 10:29:23 am »
Unfortunately not yet... However! I think I am going to squeeze it in Thursday if my schedule stays clear. I have been so busy with school I have had to keep putting it off.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 06:55:00 pm »
Finally after constant delays I have a break and am brewing this beer tomorrow morning! I will post an update following the mash.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 11:36:14 am »
Well after a hectic start to the morning I am starting the boil. I gave them mash extra time at 148F just to be safe so hope it paid off. Here are two pictures, the first being when I doughed in and the second is towards the end of the mash.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVTkladVhrcmMxM2M
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVTUdlNHlPUVdSTWM

The first one you can see the liquid is very milky in consistency and in the second the color got a little more yellow but still VERY cloudy. After draining the run off the wort is super cloudy and milky colored. I did add Amylase enzymes to the mash to aid in conversion and when tasting the wort it was very sweet so I definitely got some conversion. I will post another update at the end of the boil.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »
Just pitched the yeast and finished cleaning up make I would call a successful brew so far. Checking the OG before pitching the wort I got 1.062. I did go up to two pounds of oat malt so that could be the reason. Still very cloudy brew but I used a fining agent so hopefully it clears up after fermentation. I will keep everyone posted through fermentation and when I sample the bad boy. Cheers!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
Sounds like a fun brew day. Looking forward to your updates
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 11:55:11 am »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVVVFiS0J2eGtSQUU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVaG9yVE0tN3ZULW8

Next day fermentation update. Thick krausen and yeast is working away. The color looks like dish water because of the yeast and the color is probably something ridiculously low like 2-3SRM.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 05:14:39 pm »
Just checked on this beer while enjoying my Altbier, color is starting to look nice as it finishes up a fermentation, here is the picture below.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVUmtyYlhkZHlmYW8

And here is a really bad picture of the Altbier but good beer haha.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVZ1JLZjlicXlQeVE
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 07:26:14 am »
Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 09:53:50 pm »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVQklxSjRqWHRJUFU

So after giving the beer some time to finish and clean up I just put it in the fridge to cold crash and clear up a little bit before bottling. The color has really developed nicely I think and the smell is good. I subbed Newport hops for cluster hops which are pretty cleaning bittering hops from what I read so I think the yeast us kicking out some fruity esters. I will post again on bottling day with some pictures and taste info.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout