Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 NHC  (Read 29601 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: 2016 NHC
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2016, 10:51:26 am »
Wow, if the guy entered a beer that tasted like a rubber hose because he didn't bother to taste it before he entered them in a competition, he certainly deserved some feedback.

His bitters are normally excellent and had won medals in that competition before.  But yeah, I returned fire after finding that out.  lol

Good on ya!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2016, 12:13:13 pm »

I totally agree with that... although I have to say I also have caught myself with a low scoring beer that medaled and feeling like I didn't "earn it".

I was pleasantly surprised to get scoresheets from Seattle yesterday.  My stout scored a 36.5 and DIDN'T advance, but in a 35 entry category that's not too surprising.  I'll need to look if it even went to mini-BOS but I don't think it did.  Solid scores for my IPA and CDA but not spectacular (28 for both) and my Cal Common didn't do well at all... too much age on it by the time it got there.  Oh well. 

I don't put too much stock in scores, unless it's something obvious.  Last year, I sent cider entries (same batch, bottled at the same time) to 2 separate comps, judging on the same day.  It won a gold in one comp (high 30's iirc) and a 23 in the other.  And the 42 I reference above was for a recent comp that didn't medal.  I guess there could have been 3 other entries higher than a 42, but it did go to a mini-BOS.

Oh well.

That's actually what happened to me with the one that felt undeserved, although it was actually the same beer in two categories of the same comp.  A local comp here has a few custom categories, one of which was New Brewer.  Last year was the only year I would have qualified (req was less than one year brewing) so I entered my beers in the New Brewer cat.  However, the custom categories would not have advanced to BOS and it would have been a hodgepodge of styles, so I entered the same beers in their standard categories to get feedback. 

My American Amber ended up scoring pretty well, like 35 points in the American Ales category but didn't medal, not surprising since that's a huge category, then it scored much lower, in the area of 26 points in the "New Brewer" category and ended up getting a medal as 3rd Place New Brewer.  Even though it had scored higher in it's correct category, the new brewer one felt like a *pat on the shoulder, awww thanks for trying* kinda thing.  I know that wasn't the intent at all, it was just hard for me not to think of it that way.  It was also my first medal ever, and I wanted to feel like I had "earned" it. 

It can be hard not to look at those scoring categories and see the difference between Good, Very Good and Excellent.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:31 pm »

Even though it had scored higher in it's correct category, the new brewer one felt like a *pat on the shoulder, awww thanks for trying* kinda thing.

That made me laugh. Hey at least you got your first medal!

Offline Bill Bopp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:38 pm »
Got ours back, 3 good scores, 2 mediocre, 1 poor with comments like it was a different beer. And of course, the 2 mediocre scores advanced while 2/3 good scores didn't.

I also find that so very strange. Almost like the judging table was tough on the entries or the entries weren't that good?  Who knows?  My Old Ale which took a gold medal only earned a 36.5 with no indication that it even advanced (or had) a mini-bos. That is not that great...

I'll take a gold with a 36.5 over a 42 with no placing anyday...:)

LOL...42.5 for my helles that didn't advance.  Oh well...more for me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:50 pm »
Mine was a 39, didn't get out of mini-BOS either. I was surprised it did that well.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2016, 06:27:44 am »
Rumor has it they are sorting the STL scoresheets this weekend so I expect I'll get mine next week.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2016, 08:25:48 pm »
Talked to someone in Nashville; 80 Specialty entries in that region. Goodness. At some point I might enter such a monstrosity, just to ensure I don't have to judge it!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2016, 10:17:21 am »
There were a lot in Austin too, but I don't think there were that many.  It is still a bit sad that Nashville got the high-powered help they did and still didn't manage to finish this weekend.  They probably get the prize for the scariest beer I've ever seen, though.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:18 am »
There were a lot in Austin too, but I don't think there were that many.  It is still a bit sad that Nashville got the high-powered help they did and still didn't manage to finish this weekend.  They probably get the prize for the scariest beer I've ever seen, though.
What was the scary beer Toby? Just something really odd, or put together terribly? Guess I dont want anyone feeling put down, just curious
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2016, 11:02:03 am »

Far from ideal, but I know meads were taken to be judged by Mead Judges, which I'd prefer anyway. Sandy sure puts a lot of effort into making sure the first round goes smoothly doesn't she!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2016, 11:25:37 am »
What was the scary beer Toby? Just something really odd, or put together terribly? Guess I dont want anyone feeling put down, just curious

I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, but it was a green gusher that looked like it would have had kale or spinach as an ingredient.

Far from ideal, but I know meads were taken to be judged by Mead Judges, which I'd prefer anyway. Sandy sure puts a lot of effort into making sure the first round goes smoothly doesn't she!

Yeah, she was a trooper.  I'm pretty sure I have her beat on road time, though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:00 am »
I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, but it was a green gusher that looked like it would have had kale or spinach as an ingredient.

Wow, sorry I missed it.     :(

EDIT - So what was the intent, out of curiosity?
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:31 am »

Wow, sorry I missed it.     :(

EDIT - So what was the intent, out of curiosity?

And I am glad that I did miss it. Also curious about intent
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2016, 12:03:36 pm »
Intent was not revealed.  Only a few pictures I saw of the beer.

Offline ncbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2016, 12:41:05 pm »
I wonder if it was the same green beer I heard about at the Olde Hickory/Howard Pro-Am on 3/19. A couple of friends were judging it and if I recall correctly it was a Stout. It spewed all over the hand of the judge upon opening and was tough to scrub it off. They thought someone added green dye to make a "St Pat's Day Stout". They did not describe the character just the appearance of the gusher.