Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The perfect Imperial Stout  (Read 13275 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: The perfect Imperial Stout
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:01 am »
4 days in and 51% down.  1.071 SG, and the aroma from this malty monster is crazy.  I am so impatient I need to start up another brew.  Maybe off to a American Blonde...  since I can't find a good one anymore.

Yeah, get another brew going because you're going to want to wait this sucker out considering your massive OG. Honestly, I wouldn't even look at it for at least three more weeks.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 10:46:38 am »
does anyone think that most RIS finish with really high FG due to the wide use of 1968 London ESB?

I don't think 1968 has an issue with fermenting to 12% ABV, but I do know that it tends to ferment quickly and can sometimes drop out of suspension prior to fully finishing (hence its ability to leave diacetyl behind).  You may want to consider gently swirling the fermenter as the krausen starts to drop back into the beer to keep the yeast active and up in the wort.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:29 am »
does anyone think that most RIS finish with really high FG due to the wide use of 1968 London ESB?

I don't think 1968 has an issue with fermenting to 12% ABV, but I do know that it tends to ferment quickly and can sometimes drop out of suspension prior to fully finishing (hence its ability to leave diacetyl behind).  You may want to consider gently swirling the fermenter as the krausen starts to drop back into the beer to keep the yeast active and up in the wort.

Oh I don't have 1968 in the mix.  Only Cali WLP001 and Denny's Wyeast 1450.  I was told the only time a personal friend of mine has brewed a BIG Imp Stout was with 1968 at a brewery as a brewers-ass (as I affectionately call him)  And I think 1968 is a bad call for yeast selection personally as a home brewer.  I get why it was used because it is a versatile yeast and can get you a lot of good beers so easy for them to maintain one strain vs many.  But I didn't use it for that reason, diacetyl and falling out of suspension with a big job to do.  Lazy A$$ takes a Union Break 2/3 the way through the job, typical.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
ok this silly beer is stalling at 1.040 which would only be 64% AA.  I am wondering if I need to pitch some more nutrient, give it a swirl or some pure O2 and get it into a warmer part of the house.  Oh the fun of making beer, I am watching this too much...  I need to learn the lazy side of this hobby, I stand over my brew to much.  s***ty part of working from home...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
You could try krausening WLP099.

Considering this is your first all-grain batch, you maybe should have started with a 5k and not a marathon. ;)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 06:50:35 am »
You could try krausening WLP099.

This is a good idea, only if you have attempted to swirl the fermenter and raised the temps a bit first to be sure that your initial strain is fully done attenuating. If done and still at 1.040, krausening could help drop some more points. I would NOT aerate at this point as it is too late in the game and could potentially oxidize your hard earned beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:35 am »
This brew finished! 1.027 so 75% AA to 14.25%!  I am so super happy

AHA Member

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »
This brew finished! 1.027 so 75% AA to 14.25%!  I am so super happy

It went down 13 points in 2 days?!  What did you do to get it moving again?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »
It got to cold with this crazy temp swing, actual temp was 57F on the 14th, and I let to free rise to 73 and held for 2 days, I swirled it up for about 30 mins (that hurt fyi I am still soar) picked some nutrient with a couple tbsp. of boiled water with nutrient for 15 mins, then when I moved it upstairs to my closet.  It really pulled ahead, I saw it pick up fermentation again 4 hours after moving it upstairs.  I would say 2-3 bubbles per "M.I.S.S.I.S.S.I.P.P.I." ;)   Checked it out today and got my readings.  I am as surprised as you.8)  But I am afraid to move the beer to a secondary if it is not finished, although if cold crash and I move it to a secondary and throw some chocolate on it what could/would go wrong?  nothing?

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 01:34:20 pm »
No need to rack to secondary for a big beer like that.  just let it sit for 4 wks total, then bottle it up. It will benefit from the bulk aging in the primary on the yeast cake.

Now, if you want to add chocolate to it, that's a different story.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
No need to rack to secondary for a big beer like that.  just let it sit for 4 wks total, then bottle it up. It will benefit from the bulk aging in the primary on the yeast cake.

Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2016, 02:39:36 pm »
should I wait for the 28 days  before putting it on cacao nibs?

AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 05:11:35 pm »
should I wait for the 28 days  before putting it on cacao nibs?

Are you doing the whole batch on the nibs?  You are bottling correct?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:29 am »
I am putting the whole batch on nibs and yes I am bottling.  I don't like keg to bottle, and currently I only have 4 growler kegs available.  But yeah, I was thinking crash around  the 28th to rack to a secondary after 5/1, then get my nibs tincture going.  Put the nibs on the beer for about 4-5 days.  Taste, then bottle. 

I am undecided on what vol for carbing...  I know the style is like 1.5-2.3, I am thinking at 2.3 because this is a full bodied beer.

AHA Member

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2016, 09:01:12 am »
https://goo.gl/photos/dbFnn2gEpm7i7nDw5

3 days at 1.0275ish going to get my nibs going.  I am looking at 6.4 gallons 1.02oz:1gallon ~6.52oz of nibs.  I think the hops are lost already.  I was thinking a dry hop but idk.

AHA Member