Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Mash For Kolsch...  (Read 19836 times)

thelastdamnbatch

Re: Step Mash For Kolsch...
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:01 am »
I can assure you all malt freshness is not it. I can create it will 3 yr old malt. Nor is it any certain mash schedule.

would you say you can replicate this without regard to any of the ingredients? meaning any quality and or age of pils and or other malt choice, and hops?

I agree process would be of high importance (if not the highest), as I feel it is with almost any brew. and to me that's process from cradle to grave.

I mean, I wouldn't say any purposely damaged ingredients. Some of my malt has been stored at cellar temps for 3 years (whole kernel), and I see little to no difference in the final product.

Process is key, but not in ways one thinks.

The problem is that there is a absolute fundamental core point that has to be met. When that core point is not met everything else is a moot point. You will make beer, but it will only be a shadow at best of what it could have been.

What is this core point or are you looking for it too?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 08:20:23 am »
The problem is that there is a absolute fundamental core point that has to be met. When that core point is not met everything else is a moot point. You will make beer, but it will only be a shadow at best of what it could have been.

Please enlighten us. It's clear that you're on to something, and I know myself and others don't have the time to delve into German brewing techniques as you can.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 08:30:14 am »

I can assure you all malt freshness is not it. I can create it will 3 yr old malt. Nor is it any certain mash schedule.

would you say you can replicate this without regard to any of the ingredients? meaning any quality and or age of pils and or other malt choice, and hops?

I agree process would be of high importance (if not the highest), as I feel it is with almost any brew. and to me that's process from cradle to grave.

I mean, I wouldn't say any purposely damaged ingredients. Some of my malt has been stored at cellar temps for 3 years (whole kernel), and I see little to no difference in the final product.

Process is key, but not in ways one thinks.

What is this core point or are you looking for it too?

^^^^^^^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

The Beerery

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:50 am »
Sorry guys, I am just not the kind of guy who gives answers with little to no work. Call it selfish, but no one helped me find it.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:22 am »
This thread seems very familiar for some reason...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2016, 08:48:47 am »
Sorry guys, I am just not the kind of guy who gives answers with little to no work. Call it selfish, but no one helped me find it.

Well that's certainly your right. IMO, I just wouldn't dangle it and taunt others with the knowledge you claim to  have ascertained if you have no intent to share it. 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2016, 08:50:29 am »

Then why taunt us? Why flaunt the knowledge if you're not willing to share?

Believe me, I'd love to work for it. But with a 50+ hour a week job, engineering school, and a house to upkeep, I barely have enough time to brew at all. Never mind taking on a new language to delve into old brewing tomes. Heck, whatever hidden knowledge you have may not even be of use to me.

I take it back. I'm not pissed that you aren't sharing data. I'm pissed that you assume everyone has as much free time as you.

I know, don't feed the trolls, but this is getting old...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

The Beerery

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2016, 08:57:20 am »

Well that's certainly your right. IMO, I just wouldn't dangle it and taunt others with the knowledge you claim to  have ascertained if you have no intent to share it.

But I have shared it.. thats the funny thing. I told you exactly where it was. Even in doing so, I still get flamed. Everyone is going to buy the latest and greatest bag of malt, or wort chiller, or whatever the new "toy" is. Yet reading a book(s) and comprehension is so far fetched. I don't get it.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:20 am »

Bryan-FWIW I do appreciate your seemingly strong passion and commitment to achieving what it is you seek.  While the overwhelming majority of folks on these forums are hobby enthusiasts and not professional brewers or have aspirations to become professional, I wouldn't discount their passion or any dedication and hard work they may put forth to achieve great beer. While it may not be for the same reasons you seek it, it is nonetheless important to them [me] for a multitude of reasons.

Just keep in mind many of us are here to collaborate and share, not to compete with one another. It should come as no surprise forum members get disenfranchised with some of your responses. Regardless, I wish you well on your journey.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:01 am »
But I have shared it.. Yet reading a book(s) and comprehension is so far fetched. I don't get it.

Problem with one (or more) of the books is needing to learn to read German first. Not terribly feasible for most working people with families. 
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2016, 09:57:33 am »
I step mash a lot because I am a lousy judge of hitting my mash temperature correctly.  I heat my strike water to 170°F, then drain it into a cold cooler mash tun, mix in the grains, and next thing you know, the mash is stable at 143°F.  So I let it sit for 60 minutes, add a boiling water infusion, and get it into the mid 150s for another 15-30 minutes.

I have also hit my strike temps in the low 150s, and done single infusion mashes.  I think this is good for most ales and lagers, but I do think I am getting a tad crisper beer for my pilsners and kolschs with the two step mash.  I have not done a side by side to support this.

RPIScotty

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2016, 10:45:11 am »

...into a cold cooler mash tun...

If you preheated your tun you'd have more accurate and repeatable results hitting your strike temp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:50 am »

If you preheated your tun you'd have more accurate and repeatable results hitting your strike temp

I think he is, by putting water in the tun at significantly higher than his strike temp and letting it fall before dumping in grains and mixing.

I did that when I mashed with a cooler also.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2016, 11:17:37 am »

I think he is, by putting water in the tun at significantly higher than his strike temp and letting it fall before dumping in grains and mixing.

I did that when I mashed with a cooler also.

I did for a while, but decided I was too lazy for the extra step.  By taking careful notes for 2-3 brews I was able to determine how much hotter to make the water without preheating.  I'm never off more than 1-2F.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:39 am »
Problem with one (or more) of the books is needing to learn to read German first. Not terribly feasible for most working people with families.

Kunze is available in English.  I haven't found a better price that 149 Euros.

https://www.vlb-berlin.org/en/technology-brewing-and-malting
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC