Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Doppelbock into Eisbock  (Read 3981 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Doppelbock into Eisbock
« on: February 20, 2016, 05:04:23 pm »
Anyone have a good doppelbock recipe that could be freeze concentrated into a good eisbock?

Looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of doppelbock and freeze a portion of it to make a great eisbock so I can have both the dopple and the eis out of one brewday. I understand that concentrating the doppelbock can lead to flavors being intensified and potentially cloying if the original beer recipe is not considered for freezing. Any thoughts?

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Re: Doppelbock into Eisbock
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »
Anyone have a good doppelbock recipe that could be freeze concentrated into a good eisbock?

Looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of doppelbock and freeze a portion of it to make a great eisbock so I can have both the dopple and the eis out of one brewday. I understand that concentrating the doppelbock can lead to flavors being intensified and potentially cloying if the original beer recipe is not considered for freezing. Any thoughts?
We just tapped a half barrel batch of jamils doppelbock, fermented with 34/70.  The base beer is excellent.  We are considering eising one keg of the three, so I'm following this thread!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
I have been looking at some recipes online and am slowly formulating one in my head which will eventually get transcribed into Promash as soon as I wrap my head around what I am looking for.

If you decide to "eis" one of those kegs, please let me know how it turns out...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:25 pm »
A few months back, I just brewed an off the top of my head bock and eised it.  Pretty much all Best Munich II, I think maybe a touch of crystal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:33 pm »
A few months back, I just brewed an off the top of my head bock and eised it.  Pretty much all Best Munich II, I think maybe a touch of crystal.

How did the eis verson come out?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »

How did the eis verson come out?

Excellent, although it was a learning experience trying to find the proper temp to eis it.  Since I  with a bock base, it wasn't as strong, which is what I wanted.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »
Did you like the all Munich II base in there, or was it too much?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:07:09 pm »

Definitely not too much (too much what?), but I make a lot of all/mostly Munich II beers.  I'm not sure you could make a bock any other way.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »

Definitely not too much (too much what?), but I make a lot of all/mostly Munich II beers.  I'm not sure you could make a bock any other way.

I guess it depends on the lovibond of that Munich II.  For example I use a dark munich that is 15L.  If I used that for 100% it might be a bit over the top to maintain a drinkable bock, at least for me. I do no-sparge a lot of brews too which could also be contributing to that extra malt punch.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:51:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure jamils is 80/10 Munich and pils with the other 10 as cara Munich 60 giving it the toasty note.  I would highly recommend 2206. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 07:46:45 pm »

I guess it depends on the lovibond of that Munich II.  For example I use a dark munich that is 15L.  If I used that for 100% it might be a bit over the top to maintain a drinkable bock, at least for me. I do no-sparge a lot of brews too which could also be contributing to that extra malt punch.

Got it...the Best I use is about 10

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:59:40 am »
Denny what method did you use to freeze distill?  We have about 4 gallons sitting in a corny keg.  I would prefer not to rack it again, but I can if need be. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »
Denny what method did you use to freeze distill?  We have about 4 gallons sitting in a corny keg.  I would prefer not to rack it again, but I can if need be.

I used a bucket to make it easy to remove the ice.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 01:51:15 pm »
I use kegs and just blow it out the liquid port. Works pretty well as long as you don't over freeze the dang thing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 02:11:02 pm »
I use kegs and just blow it out the liquid port. Works pretty well as long as you don't over freeze the dang thing

I thought about that but I was concerned with having liquid freeze in the dip tube.

www.dennybrew.com