Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Torpedo  (Read 3712 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
SN Torpedo
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:29:38 pm »
I think I've really slept on this beer, wow was I impressed with a fresh bottle I had recently. I've always been a fan of SN Pale Ale and this tasted very similar, I'm getting the same Cascade aroma and taste in this. I know it's not a new beer but certainly great when fresh.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: SN Torpedo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
Try the cans.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:12:04 am »
For some reason, not a fan.  There's no Cascade in it.  I think one of the reasons I dislike it is the Magnum finishing hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »
For some reason, not a fan.  There's no Cascade in it.  I think one of the reasons I dislike it is the Magnum finishing hops.

Yeah, not my favorite SN beer by a stretch. Seems overly malty and underhopped for a flagship AIPA. Just me.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 12:44:32 pm »

Really? I get a very similar aroma compared to the Pale Ale.

BurghBeezer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »
Definitely the weakest link in the 4-way IPA pack.  Hop Hunter my favorite of the 4, Ruthless Rye 2nd, Experimental 3rd, and Torpedo last.

I really like the floral with a little spice that Crystal hops can give and the strong tropical Citra can be very nice, but in Torpedo neither the Crystal or the Citra seem to show.  It's not a bad beer, just not very interesting.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »
Definitely the weakest link in the 4-way IPA pack.  Hop Hunter my favorite of the 4, Ruthless Rye 2nd, Experimental 3rd, and Torpedo last.

I really like the floral with a little spice that Crystal hops can give and the strong tropical Citra can be very nice, but in Torpedo neither the Crystal or the Citra seem to show.  It's not a bad beer, just not very interesting.

I wasn't comparing them in the pack FWIW. I do really like the experimental!

Offline Stevie

SN Torpedo
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 04:11:42 pm »
Hop hunter is damn good.

I have a fondness for torpedo. It was one of few IPAs in cans when it was first released. It was nice to have something that was suitable for the beach or pool to intermix with the BCM beers.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 04:15:34 pm »
Yeah, I love Hop Hunter, too. Great hop character. I don't dislike Torpedo, it's just a beer where I normally pick something else. I have one occasionally.
Jon H.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 05:35:46 pm »
I'm not that impressed with hop hunter. My favorite has been there latest tropical IPA spring beer camp release when it first hit the shelves. The latest 12er I picked up didn't have that original hop aroma
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 10:31:36 am »

Hmmmmm....maybe that explains something!  ;)

Just look at the SN website to see the differences.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »

Hmmmmm....maybe that explains something!  ;)

Just look at the SN website to see the differences.

Magnum, Cascade....Tomato, Tomahto.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:52 am »

Yeah, not my favorite SN beer by a stretch. Seems overly malty and underhopped for a flagship AIPA. Just me.

agreed.  But...I can say that having it right out of the torpedo tank just prior to packaging, it is incredible hoppy.  Torpedo IMO has a very brief shelf life for how I prefer it - not that its bad after a month, but it does become more malty, at which point its a decent beer but not what it was intended to be.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:05 am »

agreed.  But...I can say that having it right out of the torpedo tank just prior to packaging, it is incredible hoppy.  Torpedo IMO has a very brief shelf life for how I prefer it - not that its bad after a month, but it does become more malty, at which point its a decent beer but not what it was intended to be.

Yeah, it had to be great right out of the torpedo tank. I'm envious.
Jon H.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »
I had a Torpedo last night (also from the 4-way pack) and I really like it.  Probably my second favorite out of the pack, with #1 being the Rye.  I also like the 5 Hop Experimental.  The Hop Hunter to me is a little weird in the flavor and aroma.  Not bad, just different.  You can tell the difference between the whole hops and the distilled oil.

Different strokes for different folks.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year