Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Murkiest beer ever  (Read 8203 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:25 am »
Personally I can appreciate targeting the smoother body with this style but at a certain level that much yeast in suspension will add yeast bite and that is never pleasant no matter how much hops are thrown on top.

I agree and think that the yeast "bite" is what leads people to speculate that they are adding flour or something else to get the cloudiness without the mouthful of yeast.

I haven't had one of these, but the photos look like there will be a lot of floaters and that doesn't sound like an appealing mouthfeel.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 09:18:10 am »
What breweries have come out and said they put flour in their beer?

Rochefort.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:31 am »
Personally I can appreciate targeting the smoother body with this style but at a certain level that much yeast in suspension will add yeast bite and that is never pleasant no matter how much hops are thrown on top.

I agree and think that the yeast "bite" is what leads people to speculate that they are adding flour or something else to get the cloudiness without the mouthful of yeast.

I haven't had one of these, but the photos look like there will be a lot of floaters and that doesn't sound like an appealing mouthfeel.
There are no floaters in the ones I have had. I doubt Hill Farmstead built their reputation on floaters and yeast bite. I think there is something else at play here.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 09:26:52 am »
Still trying to come up with the argument where taking a great IPA with a firm malt base and complex hop character and purposely making it look like a turbid mess gives you a better beer. I got nothin'.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 09:35:45 am »

Rochefort.

Rochefort is adding wheat starch As a fermentable though.

I think what is being discussed here is the addition of flour as an unfermentable to cloud the beer on purpose.

Maybe I'm getting it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:39:30 am by RPIScotty »

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 09:44:29 am »

Rochefort.

Rochefort is adding wheat starch As a fermentable though.

I think what is being discussed here is the addition of flour as an unfermentable to cloud the beer on purpose.

Maybe I'm getting it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No your not all wrong but the context here is about the cloudy NEIPA being put out by Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Treehouse and the like.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:13 am »
Still trying to come up with the argument where taking a great IPA with a firm malt base and complex hop character and purposely making it look like a turbid mess gives you a better beer. I got nothin'.
Have you had a good example of this style yet… fresh from a well reputed brewery?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:31 am »
Have you had a good example of this style yet… fresh from a well reputed brewery?

No I haven't. I'm sure I will at some point. But I feel pretty certain that if I like it a lot, it won't be because of its turbidity. It's a gimmick to me until I can read an interview with a brewer who will come clean.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 10:10:02 am »

No I haven't. I'm sure I will at some point. But I feel pretty certain that if I like it a lot, it won't be because of its turbidity. It's a gimmick to me until I can read an interview with a brewer who will come clean.
Why assume that there is something untoward to "come clean" about? Seems an unusual approach.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 10:16:51 am »

Why assume that there is something untoward to "come clean" about? Seems an unusual approach.

Ok, 'talk about his thinking' on creating turbidity then ?  I'm really not invested in this, dude. I just don't get it. 
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 10:32:12 am »

Ok, 'talk about his thinking' on creating turbidity then ?  I'm really not invested in this, dude. I just don't get it.
Sure. You don't have to be invested in this but you seem like a curious enough brewer with a love for hops. You might get it once you actually have one. A lot of other great brewers and drinkers have. Since you have not yet had one of these beers I will mention this... when you finally have one pay close attention to the presentation of the hop character. It is different than what you are used to. It is very bright and juicy and there are some hop complexities there you don't get in other well made styles of IPA, even with the same hop varieties. Also pay attention to the mouthfeel. It will be very distinctive and different than really any other beer/style I am familiar with. These, to me, are a much more distinctive sub style of IPA than simply coloring it red or black or white and hitting it with a belgian yeast.  I mentioned the following earlier but was met with an unreasonable retort from another forum member. The hop character and the mouth feel come from the haze. Without the haze they are not present. If they could create these beers with good clarity I suspect they would.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:02 pm »
Yeasry beers and my digestion don't get a long. If I try one, I the next day I am  fart machine, it is yeast in suspension far at least part of the haze.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

RPIScotty

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:58 pm »
I personally have not been impressed with the IPAs coming out of that area. I remember the first time I saw a Heady Topper out of the can and the light bulb went off, "No wonder they don't want me to pour this into a glass."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »
Yeasry beers and my digestion don't get a long. If I try one, I the next day I am  fart machine, it is yeast in suspension far at least part of the haze.

Yeah, I remember drinking the dregs of my bottles when I started brewing. The household was not happy the next day.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »

Yeah, I remember drinking the dregs of my bottles when I started brewing. The household was not happy the next day.

+2. Used to brew hefes more often in my younger years. Not so gut friendly these days.   ;)
Jon H.