Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Missing American Blonde  (Read 9070 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
The Missing American Blonde
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:22:12 pm »
What is the deal?  Used to be I could walk into any micro/brewpub and have a couple of good American Blonde ales... now they seem to somehow faded the style into a bad hybrid version of a fruity/dank/floral hops close to an APA.  Silly hop Junkies... instead of a malty not quite sweet but almost, the amazingly balanced and quaffable ale.  Or they come across like a Kolsch, lager conditioned and taste like hay or straw.  What is it about the style that is just missing aisle after aisle, or bad example after bad example.

You can thank this rant to sailfish brewing company - brought to you by "1/2 a glass full of shame Blonde Ale"

I married an American Blonde, we have three children, and I want that beer to remind me of how great American Blondes are.  because I married one, and sometimes it is hard to remember... ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:24:10 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

trentm

Re: The Missing American Blonde
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:30 pm »
The problem is with styles in general.  First you need beer.

You also have 5k+ craft breweries trying to make money and do what sells.  Hops and macro lagers sell lots of beer.  Craft beer is first about money, then about beer.  Thank Koch for that or God - whomever you bastards worship.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »
Dont have the answer, but I do know that the good news is you're here. You can brew your own. One of the biggest draws for home brew is to make something you love but cant get locally/any more. Should be plenty of recipes on here in the wiki. Try one or all of them and tweak as you feel they need. Good luck on the journey to find your second favorite American Blonde
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »
I think in part the Blonde Ale acted as the gateway style and now people are more open to craft beer in general. I like blonde ales, but only if done well.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:43:22 pm »
I think breweries used to use the American Blonde as the gateway to Craft beer. Most people are familiar with what craft beer is by now so maybe breweries are less inclined to brew that style. That's my hypothesis anyway....

EDIT - looks like Stevie and I are on the same page...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »
I think breweries used to use the American Blonde as the gateway to Craft beer. Most people are familiar with what craft beer is by now so maybe breweries are less inclined to brew that style. That's my hypothesis anyway....

EDIT - looks like Stevie and I are on the same page...

+2.  You guys beat me to it.
Jon H.

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »
I am about halfway through a batch of Magnum Blonde, which I would suggest as a starting point. The recipe is here, http://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes .

J
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »
I am about halfway through a batch of Magnum Blonde, which I would suggest as a starting point. The recipe is here, http://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes .

J

It's a lovely recipe if I do say so myself.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

narvin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 03:39:06 pm »
I'm not a hop head, and I love a lot of simple styles, but they should at least showcase something interesting.  When I think of most old school brewpub American Blonde Ale's, I think of:

- Briess 2-row with some crystal sweetness
- Light hopping, little to no aroma.

There's just not a single ingredient here I'd want to taste on its own.  Not saying that they can't be made to be interesting, but most weren't.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:44:05 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of blonde ales, but I was thinking the same about ambers recently. Once upon a time every microbrewery (back when they were still called that) had an amber (often just called "X Brewery Ale"), and every brewpub had a blonde ale.  These were the flagships of the 90s craft beer scene, and they have largely vanished the way of Pete's Wicked Red.

I'm planning on brewing an amber for summer cookout season for nostalgia's sake, although I will probably use some modern hops in it to make it "mine". That's the cool part of homebrewing - we can resurrect extinct beer styles whenever we want, whether they're 15 years old or 150.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 04:46:59 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of blonde ales, but I was thinking the same about ambers recently. Once upon a time every microbrewery (back when they were still called that) had an amber (often just called "X Brewery Ale"), and every brewpub had a blonde ale.  These were the flagships of the 90s craft beer scene, and they have largely vanished the way of Pete's Wicked Red.

I'm planning on brewing an amber for summer cookout season for nostalgia's sake, although I will probably use some modern hops in it to make it "mine". That's the cool part of homebrewing - we can resurrect extinct beer styles whenever we want, whether they're 15 years old or 150.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I really enjoy my amber ales with a healthy dose of "down under" hops for that fruity, dank combination. Yum with the malts.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
I love a good blonde ale myself.

I make mine as mentioned above except I hop them a bit more late. I like a nice 0 minute addition to get hop flavor and aroma without turning it into a pale ale.

PS. There are a lot of styles that don't sell. I love a good bitter but those are hard to find commercially in the US.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:58:24 pm »
I'd far prefer a kolsch or Helles to an American blonde almost any day.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:16 pm »

Keith, you read my mind again. Those are my 'blonde' styles. I don't brew many beers that disappear as quickly as those.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
Sure, but most brew pubs and smaller breweries weren't offering these 10 years back. Maybe this is due to ease of maintaining a single yeast or lack of lager skills/equipment/capacity?