Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bittering with chinook question  (Read 11026 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Bittering with chinook question
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:48:05 am »
In theory I know the answer to this but wanted some experienced advice.

I usually use magnum for bittering addition for my IPAs.  I wanted to try bittering with chinook this time and wondering what the difference will be everything else being equal.  Specifically, will there be any taste difference (increased pine?) or just a different (less mellow) bitter.

Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bittering with chinook question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:38 am »
Depending you how much Chinook you use, you might get a little bit of pine.  But you may never notice it, either.  IMO, Chinook is a much better bittering hop for IPA than Magnum is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 09:57:21 am »

I usually use magnum for bittering addition for my IPAs.  I wanted to try bittering with chinook this time and wondering what the difference will be everything else being equal.  Specifically, will there be any taste difference (increased pine?) or just a different (less mellow) bitter.

Thanks

+1.  Magnum gives a smooth, pretty neutral bitterness where Chinook gives a more coarse IPA-like bitterness. I bitter IPAs with either Chinook or Columbus.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:04:09 am »
I used to bitter APA and IPA with Magnum but Denny talked me into Chinook. I do same IBUs away before. To me its a sharper, brighter, bitterness and supports the other flavor/aroma hops better when using American late hops.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:17:26 am »
Now you type this.  Just back back from LHBS with some Magnum for the APA I'm brewing this coming week.  LOL!  Well, I'm still going to use it for this batch but what would you use Magnum for?  'Cuz I will have a bunch left over!
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:59:44 am »
Now you type this.  Just back back from LHBS with some Magnum for the APA I'm brewing this coming week.  LOL!  Well, I'm still going to use it for this batch but what would you use Magnum for?  'Cuz I will have a bunch left over!

Lagers, or any beer where you want a smooth, neutral, clean bitterness.
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:33:19 pm »
Remember that if you find 100% Chinook bittering to be a little too resiny/rough, just back it off and use a combo Chinook/Magnum.  You'll be able to find the ratio that is perfect for your tastes with a few tries.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

Thanks

+1.  Magnum gives a smooth, pretty neutral bitterness where Chinook gives a more coarse IPA-like bitterness. I bitter IPAs with either Chinook or Columbus.

Same with me... Especially Columbus. I actually never buy magnum. I'll use warrior for neutral bittering. I also use nugget in most porters and stouts.
Frank

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »

+1. Magnum is my go-to bittering hop for higher-gravity lagers (i.e. Bock, Dopplebock, etc). You can use a half ounce or so and get most of the bittering you need. You'd need several ounces of a lower alpha hop to get the same.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 10:17:21 pm »
Cool, thanks, decision made
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 10:19:55 am »

+1. Magnum is my go-to bittering hop for higher-gravity lagers (i.e. Bock, Dopplebock, etc). You can use a half ounce or so and get most of the bittering you need. You'd need several ounces of a lower alpha hop to get the same.

I like to use hercules.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:44:55 am »
I've settled on first wort hopping with Chinook for roughly 50% of my IPA IBUs and also use a 60 minute addition of another more neutral bittering hop for the other 50%.  Works well in my IPA.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:37:38 pm »
I've settled on first wort hopping with Chinook for roughly 50% of my IPA IBUs and also use a 60 minute addition of another more neutral bittering hop for the other 50%.  Works well in my IPA.

By this, is it safe to assume you mean that this applies to the BITTERING additions, and the flavor/aroma additions are counted separately?
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:38:42 pm »
I mainly use Cluster when I use a kettle-only hop.   

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14:07 pm »

By this, is it safe to assume you mean that this applies to the BITTERING additions, and the flavor/aroma additions are counted separately?
Yes.  Although I tend not to do any other hop additions until 5 minutes left in the boil for my IPAs.