Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: marzen  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
marzen
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:17 am »
I'm back posting yet again  ;)

Need help on a grain bill for a Marzen. It seems that there is quite a variety of proportion of munich to pils to vienna out there.

34.8% munich 9L
30.4% vienna
30.4% pilsner
4.3% caramunich III
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: marzen
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:11 am »
In my humble opinion, the right answer is about 50-75% Vienna malt, with Munich and Pilsner malts playing a supporting role, and just a touch of CaraMunich (like you have it already) for that little something extra.  But overall, Vienna malt is awesome, so let it shine.  This *might* not be most traditional, I can't say for sure, but I don't know why not because it sure is yummy.

Here's my recipe for Vienna lager (very similar style -- together Ray Daniels refers to these as "VMO", Vienna/Marzen/Oktoberfest) that won some awards.

http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/57380-vienna-lager-authentic/?p=929686

EDIT: And hey, our names are all over this thread as well from earlier this year -- I'm hearing echos from the past:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26517.5;wap2

Here, I found an even prettier copy of my recipe:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/dmtaylo1/vienna.jpg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:56:36 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:52:52 am »
FWIW, I just did one with 65% Vienna, 21% Munich 9L, 10% Pils, and 4% melanoidan IIRC.

Edit -  Also, this one's on the light end of the color range. I believe it's 7.7 SRM.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:07:02 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:06:06 pm »
In my humble opinion, the right answer is about 50-75% Vienna malt, with Munich and Pilsner malts playing a supporting role, and just a touch of CaraMunich (like you have it already) for that little something extra.  But overall, Vienna malt is awesome, so let it shine.  This *might* not be most traditional, I can't say for sure, but I don't know why not because it sure is yummy.

Here's my recipe for Vienna lager (very similar style -- together Ray Daniels refers to these as "VMO", Vienna/Marzen/Oktoberfest) that won some awards.

http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/57380-vienna-lager-authentic/?p=929686

EDIT: And hey, our names are all over this thread as well from earlier this year -- I'm hearing echos from the past:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26517.5;wap2

Here, I found an even prettier copy of my recipe:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/dmtaylo1/vienna.jpg

Thanks. I actually have that beer on tap still. It has developed into quite a nice beer but I still am not sure where it fits. I have just been calling it an Amber Lager and am entering it as an International Amber Lager due to the corn.

One thing that a lot of recipes seem to have in common is the use of more vienna like you have suggested. I will adjust accordingly.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:16 pm »
I've been dialing mine in for a bit, and this is where I like it (3 gallon batch):

2 lb Light Munich
2 lb Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
6 oz Aromatic

I like mine leaning more towards the Munich than the Vienna. I was really happy with the change from CaraMunich III to Aromatic - it seems to amp up that Munich character I'm shooting for. It also hits that light orange color that I'm shooting for as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
FWIW, I just did one with 65% Vienna, 21% Munich 9L, 10% Pils, and 4% melanoidan IIRC.

Edit -  Also, this one's on the light end of the color range. I believe it's 7.7 SRM.

Thanks Jon. I was also thinking about incorporating some melanoidin instead of the caramunich. This one has got me a little puzzles because I don't want it to be too much like the lager I have on tap right now which is about 60% vienna. I guess similar styles will taste similarly...

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:12:26 pm »
I've been dialing mine in for a bit, and this is where I like it (3 gallon batch):

2 lb Light Munich
2 lb Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
6 oz Aromatic

I like mine leaning more towards the Munich than the Vienna. I was really happy with the change from CaraMunich III to Aromatic - it seems to amp up that Munich character I'm shooting for. It also hits that light orange color that I'm shooting for as well.

Thanks for sharing! I think my goal might be similar to yours. Is the light munich around 6L?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:14:50 pm »

2 lb Light Munich
2 lb Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
6 oz Aromatic

Thanks for sharing! I think my goal might be similar to yours. Is the light munich around 6L?
I believe so. I've been using Avangard, and I'm pretty sure it's listed at 6L.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 01:23:57 pm »

2 lb Light Munich
2 lb Pilsner
1 lb Vienna
6 oz Aromatic

I believe so. I've been using Avangard, and I'm pretty sure it's listed at 6L.

Cool. Thanks. I use Schill base malts with Weyermann specialty malts mostly.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:09:37 am »

The one I just won a silver with was:

Munich 10L       37.7%
  Pilsner             30.2%
  Vienna             22.6%
  Caramunich III    7.5%
  Melanoidan         1.9%

I think this year I'm lowering the Pils percentage and raising the Vienna and possibly the Munich. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:03 am »

Munich 10L       37.7%
  Vienna             22.6%
  Caramunich III    7.5%
  Melanoidan         1.9%

I think this year I'm lowering the Pils percentage and raising the Vienna and possibly the Munich.

Another good point of reference. Thanks. I am leaning toward something like this which is similar to my original version or possibly going with just Munich/Pils for the base which I have seen on some other threads.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 08:29:45 am »

Munich 10L       37.7%
  Vienna             22.6%
  Caramunich III    7.5%
  Melanoidan         1.9%

Hard to argue with those results, though. Congrats!
Jon H.

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:26 am »
Started subbing some Kolsch malt for pils in several lager recipes.  I've been pretty happy with the results- seems like the malt became more pronounced with fewer and smaller crystal malt additions.  Ofest on tap right now is:42% Kolsch, 28% Vienna, 28% Munich, and 2% Caramunich added at vorlauf just for a little color.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:24 am »

Munich 10L       37.7%
  Vienna             22.6%
  Caramunich III    7.5%
  Melanoidan         1.9%

I'll drink to that!  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 09:48:31 am »
Started subbing some Kolsch malt for pils in several lager recipes.  I've been pretty happy with the results- seems like the malt became more pronounced with fewer and smaller crystal malt additions.  Ofest on tap right now is:42% Kolsch, 28% Vienna, 28% Munich, and 2% Caramunich added at vorlauf just for a little color.

I have really been enjoying the use of kolsch malt lately too. I really like the overall bready (slight toast) notes it brings to the beers. I actually am trying out the exact same grist bill for my munich helles as I am for my kolsch. Hop schedule is a bit different though.