Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?  (Read 26032 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 06:45:26 pm »
I've used it before in a 5gal batch. IIRC, I used about .25#, maybe even less. Was not over powering, but as far as tasting like a honey wheat, not so much.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »
I tried some of this beer again tonight and the answer is ZERO! Its one of those malts I tried 5 or 6 years ago and forgot how much I don't like it. As soon as I tasted it, I remembered. Doesn't taste like honey AT ALL.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:33 pm »
I have to disagree. It does have a sweetness which will remind one of honey. The flavor of the raw grain is pretty awful and acidic, but in beer it has a honey character. You won't perceive fresh comb or anything like that, but it will have that sort of sweetness. At one time I used a bunch of it, but now only for my Aye Corona recipe (which has nothing in common with Corona).
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:54 am »
I've always thought that it did add a slight honey taste to the beer, but I really wonder how much of that is psychological.  I've done enough study of how preconceptions effect perception to be skeptical of my own tastings when it isn't done blind.  And I haven't done that with honey malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

beveragebob

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:32:26 pm »
I remember about 10 or 11 years ago I did a single malt mash- 5 galllon batch- with Honey Malt(supposedly it can convert itself to a fair degree). I'd have to dig up my notes what I used with hops and yeast but, I just remember the resulting beer tasting like burnt marshmallows. IIRC, I think it became drain cleaner.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 05:20:32 am »
Yep, in very high quantities I have heard exactly the same thing...burnt marshmallows.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 07:15:06 am »
Welp - this beer doesn't taste like honey at all. AND I even put a fair amount of honey in at flame out. The Honey Malt does have a unique flavor but IMO it is not suited well for lighter style beers. Probably would be good in darker ales, however.

beveragebob

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 10:45:54 pm »
I think of Honey Malt as a "Super Munich" variety and like it when it is used sparingly along with other specialty grains.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2023, 11:34:08 am »
Resurrecting an old thread: Last night, I tapped a Scottish 80/- and OMG …WAY TOO MUCH Honey malt. I only used 3% after the main mash for a 30 min hot steep in an effort to simulate the effect of boiling a portion of wort down to syrup but Holy Moly!

In an attempt to repair the damage, I added 1 oz Columbian instant coffee and 4 oz cacao nibs to counteract the sweetness. I just poured a pint to watch the Cowboys. 

No way was I going to be able to choke down a batch as originally brewed. Now, it’s at least a descent pint of Brown Ale.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:59:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 04:35:23 am »
Is it overt sweetness or is the beer too full on your palette?  If it’s too full or coating on your palette, then bumping up the sulfate content will help dry the mouthfeel. If you brew without sulfate in your brewing water, that could definitely be a contributor.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2023, 05:16:29 am »
It was overtly sweet. Adding in the coffee and cacao helped tremendously.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 06:07:14 pm »
Interesting. I love honey malt but I don’t brew a lot of malty beers. Sometimes I’ll swap it in for caramunich in darker lagers at small amounts.

I normally use it to get some color and malt in IPAs and sometimes light colored lagers. I rarely go above 5% with it. To me it’s a sweeter Munich malt
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:24:47 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 06:37:55 am »
Welp - this beer doesn't taste like honey at all. AND I even put a fair amount of honey in at flame out. The Honey Malt does have a unique flavor but IMO it is not suited well for lighter style beers. Probably would be good in darker ales, however.

If you really want to preserve honey flavor from actual honey, I'd recommend minimizing the exposure to heat. Most mead-makers heat their honey only enough to get to flow.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 08:11:52 am »

If you really want to preserve honey flavor from actual honey, I'd recommend minimizing the exposure to heat. Most mead-makers heat their honey only enough to get to flow.
I used a pound of local honey at flameout in an Exportbier and was surprised at how much of it carried over to the finished beer
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online BrewBama

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 08:17:56 am »
I liked the flavor provided by 3% honey malt. It was just too much of a good thing resulting in domination over the beer. I’m disappointed in the result. I’ll try again using maybe 1%.