Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?  (Read 26029 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?
« on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:19 am »
Going through some of my older malts and I have a couple pounds of Gambrinous Honey Malt that I'd like to use in something. I was thinking about a hoppy American Wheat with wildflower honey at knockout (or perhaps even during fermentation to preserve some honey character.) I don't want to add too much honey because 1) its expensive and 2) don't want to dry the beer out. So I was wondering about enhanccing the honey character with the honey malt.

I've used it before and my recollection is that it can be  a bit overwhealming. Currently I have it notched in at about 4.3% of the grain bill.

Any thoughts?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: How much honey malt for a slight honey flavor?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:48:21 am »
My calc came out slightly less,  I figured a half pound in a 5 gallon batch, in an American wheat should be about right, in another style with more going on I'd say a pound.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:48:54 am »
Recipe: CLB's Honey Blond Ale

Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients: ------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.2 %
0.85 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.9 %
0.65 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.8 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
0.60 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale]
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 75 min Mash Out Add 7.60 qt of water at 205.8 F 170.0 F 10 min

This is a great beer. I have it on tap currently. I bumped the honey malt in my version up to 1 lb. and my IBU's to around 18. A very refreshing beer with a nice touch of honey in the finish.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:20:36 am »
Thanks guys. I should say that my version of an American Wheat has a hop profile more like a Pale ale. Sitting about 30 BUs now with a lot of Amarillo late hop additions. 4.3% is exactly at .5 lbs per 5 gallons for this recipe (1.056 beer.) Think I should just leave it?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:57 am »
With a lot of late hopped amarillo I would consider upping it.  Me, I would go to a pound, but then I do crazy things, but the hops are going to cover the honey you are looking for so an increase, IMHO, is in order to maintain the "honey" character.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:00 am »
Thanks guys. I should say that my version of an American Wheat has a hop profile more like a Pale ale. Sitting about 30 BUs now with a lot of Amarillo late hop additions. 4.3% is exactly at .5 lbs per 5 gallons for this recipe (1.056 beer.) Think I should just leave it?

I've never tried it with a wheat, I'm not much of a wheat fan, but half a pound is good in a pale ale with a pound of munich and having the gravity you're making.  It might be sweet with mostly wheat and no other specialty malt that has some backbone.  jmo...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:25 am »
So, what do ya'll who have used it really think about how much honey characteristic it leaves in the beer? I have used it before but questioned how much honey flavor it actually imparts. But reading several posts many people seem to think it does impart some honey flavor. Course it may have been the beer I used it in. I have only used it in darker ales.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:24 am »
I'd say "some" and it's not exactly what you may think of as honey. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
I used it around 10% in that Blonde and it's defintiely sweet. Not cloying mind you, but I can definitely detect a 'honey-like' flavor.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Online MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »
I'd suggest a pound or 10% (whichever is less) for your first venture.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »

I'd leave it.  My Honey Wheat uses the same .5 lbs of Honey Malt for a 5 gallon batch.  A little goes a long way.
Joe

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:11:28 am »
Wow, I am definitely going to go against what everyone else says here.  First, you will get a slight "honey" flavor, if any at all.  I think a better description would be just sweet.  Second, I think you are absolutely going to notice it at a half of a pound.  1 full pound in an American Wheat is far too much.  As a point of reference I used 6 oz in a blonde (other grains were pale malt, munich, and vienna) and I knew it was there.  I cut it back to 4 oz the next time and it was just right.  This malt is strong and will dominate the beer to disgust if used too much.  That being said, I have never tried honey malt with the late hopping rate you going to use so I can't comment how that will offset the sweetness.  However, my opinion is to start small and work your way up next time, not the other way around. 

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:31:51 am »
I just made a "Honey Blonde" for the 4th that was 9# Pils, 1# Wheat, and .5# Honey Malt(5 gallon).  Expecting the sweetness, I dropped my mash temp to 148 (from 150) and with only 11 IBUs of Fuggle,  the honey aroma was evident, crisp up front, with slight honey in the aftertaste but not sweet.  The finish was actually dry and refreshing.  Everyone said it was a keeper.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 09:39:56 am »

Ever have Gumballhead from 3Floyd's? Sounds close, but with honey.

Edit: Just to add; it's definitely one of my favorite beers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:41:39 am by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

beveragebob

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »
Yeah I agree... a little goes a long way. I never use more than a half pound in a 5 gallon batch. I'm wondering why you're going for a honey flavor when you apparently are going to have it more hop forward than malty.