Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Festbier  (Read 4018 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Festbier
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:47 pm »
I am planning a Festbier for this weekend.

OG target 1055
95% Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner
5% Floor Malted Bohemian Dark
21 IBU at 60 min (Liberty or Magnum)
Yellow malty water.
WLP833

I am basing the recipe off percentages and ingredients  Majorvices used for a Helles at Yellowhammer recently that had a great Munich maltiness. I scaled the OG to 1055 since Fest is supposed to land between Helles and Helles Bock.

Thoughts? Seems simple but I think it will be good.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:37:18 pm by alestateyall »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Festbier
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
Looks good.

I'd go with the Liberty, and add a 1/2 oz per 5 gals at 5mins for medium-low spicy hop flavor and low to medium low hop aroma (to match the style guidelines).  You have room for up to 25 ibus, so no sweat there.  You want to be near the top of the IBU range to match being near the top of the OG range.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:22:22 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:57 pm »
I agree with Steve. The recipe looks good. If it were me, I would bump up the IBU's to 25. You will want some hop crispness in there to keep it endlessly drinkable.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:12:12 pm »
I would bump up the IBU's to 25. You will want some hop crispness in there to keep it endlessly drinkable.

I agree. The BJCP guidelines say Festbier is "Less intense and less richly toasted than a Marzen. More rich-heavy in body than a Helles, with more hop flavor and higher alcohol."

I'd bump IBU to 25 and give it a light flavor addition. As a reference, the Ofest I have on tap has 25 IBU (minus the flavor addition) which I think is perfect to balance the malty character.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 10:59:47 am »
Yeah!  My latest ofest that finished at 1.010 also has about 25-26 IBUs in there too. Seems just about right to lightly balance the rich, toasty malt.

Offline tommymorris

Festbier
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:17:00 pm »
I upped the IBU's to 25 in my recipe.

Are you guys adding a late hop addition to your Helles? I have done 4-5 lagers in a row. All but 1 has had only a bittering addition.  The one with late hops was a Pilsner with cascade.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »

Are you guys adding a late hop addition to your Helles? I have done 4-5 lagers in a row. All but 1 has had only a bittering addition.  The one with late hops was a Pilsner with cascade.

Personally, I only add a bittering addition for helles. IIRC Jeff has said that some helles in Germany have a tad of late hop character, but in a comp it'll do better without. If you're not comping it, I say go with what sounds good.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

Festbier
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
No competition, but, I am still not sure about adding late hops to the Festbier. I really like the Helles sans hop flavor so it stands to reason I will like the Festbier the same way. I am looking for Helles that is a bit more filling. Tastes great, more filling. If you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:35:49 pm by alestateyall »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 08:11:40 pm »
1/2 oz (in 5 gals) of something mild like Liberty around 5 mins be nice and subtle in a festbier.  Nowhere near over the top.  It will only add a very light background note.  I think you'll like it, and even then it WOULD fit per style guidelines.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:37 pm »
Alright. I'll do it. Hopefully brewing tomorrow.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 01:51:29 am »

Personally, I only add a bittering addition for helles. IIRC Jeff has said that some helles in Germany have a tad of late hop character, but in a comp it'll do better without. If you're not comping it, I say go with what sounds good.
Yeah, there are many from smaller breweries that have hop aroma and flavor. The guidelines are written on the Munich style, which are the big breweries that we see bottles and kegs from in the states. My guess is that the people who write the guidelines may have been to Munich, the little cities and villages around Bayern, not so much.

For example, Mahr's Helles in Bamberg has no hop aroma and flavor, just enough bitterness to balance it, perfect example of 4a. Göller Helles just outside Bamberg in Drosendorf, has a nice low hop aroma and a nice medium low hop flavor. I have had the Spital Helles in Regensburg, similar to the Göller in character. Those last two would get dinged in a BJCP competition.

I am writting this in Bamberg Germany. Heading to Regensburg tomorrow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:48 am »
1/2 oz (in 5 gals) of something mild like Liberty around 5 mins be nice and subtle in a festbier.  Nowhere near over the top.  It will only add a very light background note.  I think you'll like it, and even then it WOULD fit per style guidelines.
I had a Keesmann Festbier yesterday. My notes say the aroma was malty with low hops. Not much hop flavor. Finish tilts to a dry bitterness, but only by a little.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 05:52:33 am »
I think you'll like it, and even then it WOULD fit per style guidelines.

Steve, FWIW when I talked about doing better in comps with no late hop character, I was answering to Tommy's question about helles, not festbier. I get that festbier can/should have a bit of late hop character, where comp helles beers often get dinged for it.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 05:53:02 am »
I had a Keesmann Festbier yesterday. My notes say the aroma was malty with low hops. Not much hop flavor. Finish tilts to a dry bitterness, but only by a little.
Thanks, sounds like your having a good trip. Vacation I hope.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 05:54:12 am »
Yeah, sounds like an awesome trip, Jeff. Enjoy!
Jon H.