Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mirror pond facsimile  (Read 4336 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: mirror pond facsimile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 08:19:00 am »
I agree that true caramelization won't happen in a long boil, but I don't think anybody would argue that more Maillard-type deep flavors can come from a 90 minute (or longer) boil. Scottish ales come to mind.
Jon H.

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:33:16 pm »
[quote
Well, they're free to publish what they want to....physics says that you need temps in excess of 360F to get caramelization and AFAIK you can't get that in a kettle of liquid.  The color changes are due to the Maillard reaction, the same reaction that produces caramelization.
[/quote]

Good Info to know, thanks.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 03:05:32 am »
[quote
Well, they're free to publish what they want to....physics says that you need temps in excess of 360F to get caramelization and AFAIK you can't get that in a kettle of liquid.  The color changes are due to the Maillard reaction, the same reaction that produces caramelization.

[/quote]

But it's not true.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramelization

I'm not saying caramelization does occur during the boil, I'm just saying that the caramelization reaction is different from the maillard reaction, and can occur at lower temperatures than that quoted by Denny.  The reaction is also sensitive to pH and the presence of "impurities", so I wouldn't rule it out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:10:53 am by Hand of Dom »
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 10:11:18 am »
[quote

I'm not saying caramelization does occur during the boil, I'm just saying that the caramelization reaction is different from the maillard reaction, and can occur at lower temperatures than that quoted by Denny.  The reaction is also sensitive to pH and the presence of "impurities", so I wouldn't rule it out.
[/quote]

Your link says sucrose caramelizes at 320 and maltose around 360.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 10:39:22 am »
[quote

Your link says sucrose caramelizes at 320 and maltose around 360.
[/quote]

The main point I was trying to make was that Caramelization reaction is not a Maillard reaction.  I agree that for the most part, you're not going to get caramelization going on in the boil for most worts, but do you not think that it's a possibility for people using brewers invert?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017