Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giveaways/freebies to existing members  (Read 2860 times)

Offline m_c_zero

• 1st Kit
Giveaways/freebies to existing members
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:38 am »
Hello,

Long time member, first time forum poster here.  This discussion was brought about by your recent post on Facebook for your Thanks-giveaway Spectacular noted here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/thanks-giveaway-spectacular/

Some great prizes there.  Unfortunately, they are only available to those who are signing up or renewing their subscriptions.  Those of us who have been faithfully paying our dues yearly are left with nothing.  I also see from time to time other freebies for signing up/renewing like free hops or free books but again the existing members are left out.

The point I'm trying to make here is why isn't there giveaways/freebies for existing members?  Heck, even the Homebrewtalk.com forums have frequent giveaways for even non-paying members.  All I'm saying is I'm sure you guys get a ton of schwag and it would be awesome if you were to give some of it away to us existing members.

Sorry, just venting some steam here.  Thanks for listening.

Edit:  Just saw the rules here:  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/thanks-giveaway-rules/  The giveaway is open to everyone.  Sorry for jumping to conclusions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:48:03 am by m_c_zero »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Giveaways/freebies to existing members
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:10 am »
Thanks for the secret link.  I knew there was something like this out there but didn't have the link until now.  They really do seem to want to keep it a secret.  Also I never knew if this was some kind of scam, because I've seen deal codes come up on other websites but haven't seen this one from the AHA itself until now.  I happen to be due for renewal right now.  Of course, now when I go in to try to renew, I have pressed the Continue button about 30 times now and can never get through to enter my credit card information.  It's likely related to me being at work, the browser here often has problems like this.  I even turned off the popup blocker but that didn't help either.  I hope I can get it to work from home later.

There's nothing stopping anyone from current members renewing their subscription right now even if not yet due, if you want to be part of the contest for these prizes.  I would think it should work.  Just because I'm lazy and let my membership expire (by one week) shouldn't give me any advantage over anyone else.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 11:54:59 am »
I think I saw an email on this offer about a week after I renewed my membership.  All I did was chuckle about it since that's hope my timing usually works.  I don't really belong to the AHA for the "gifts" they often have available for renewals.  If I happen to get in on one I don't complain either.  8^)

The one give away I appreciated the most was the GABF baseball cap I got the first year I joined.  I have to admit that may have influenced me to actually pull the trigger on it that year.  I loved that cap so of course I lost it (I got over it. Really).  I think I received a book once and 6oz of hops a couple of years ago.  All appreciated but not required to get me to renew my membership.

Good luck in the drawing!!!  And thanks to the AHA for making me a smarter brewer.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
I think I renewed a bit early for the six oz mosaic offer, but overall I don't care. Obviously a person that joins feels that the value is there when the enter the credit card number, that feeling of value should change a month later because free hops or a book are included.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »
I think I renewed a bit early for the six oz mosaic offer, but overall I don't care. Obviously a person that joins feels that the value is there when the enter the credit card number, that feeling of value should change a month later because free hops or a book are included.

Yup
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:06 pm »
It would be cool if they had a raffle every so often for something awesome like a stainless conical.  I'm sure they could get that sponsored.  They've done those at some of the AHA rallies I've been to, which have been a good time for sure.  I'm sure there's a limit to how often one can give away (get from sponsors) free stuff like that, and rallies are probably the better place for it.

Stream of consciousness posting... I'm arguing with myself...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 05:35:54 am »
Look for an AHA rally in your area. Those are free to members, and you get some stuff along with a great time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 01:48:05 pm »
I guess I'm easy, I'm happy to get my sticker every year.
I guess there is a tiny fairness issue in that you have to renew at a certain time (if I'm understanding correctly) to get a cool prize that you don't get if you renew at the natural time you would renew based on when you originally joined.
No big woop.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »
Renewing early doesn't reset the clock, but adds to it. All it does is make me need to adjust my spending money to accommodate.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 10:15:57 pm »
I guess I'm easy, I'm happy to get my sticker every year.
I guess there is a tiny fairness issue in that you have to renew at a certain time (if I'm understanding correctly) to get a cool prize that you don't get if you renew at the natural time you would renew based on when you originally joined.
No big woop.
I've only renewed once, but did it for three years when I did. I didn't get a new sticker for re-upping. NBD, love all the other benefits I get here though, mainly cutting edge info to stimulate my personal brewing experiences

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 09:03:58 am »
I always renew early when there's a promotion.  Just renewed in sept. for the 7oz of hops and my membership is set for feb.  it just ads on to that.  Also the original email that was sent out allowed current members to sign up for the giveaway, which I did.   And not to mention the fact you get discounts at breweries and restaurants basically pays for the membership on its own.  I love that this is available to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk