Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home-Smoked Malt  (Read 13874 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Home-Smoked Malt
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 08:01:50 am »
That's a nice set up. If I had that kind of smoking equipment I'd make a lot more smoked beer too.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 08:20:53 am »
Yes but what did you DO with the 3 bags of smoked malt? Share amongst the club? Or do you just REALLY like Rauchbier?

if you look down the thread he says he does it for a friend who owns a commercial brewery.

I have a bottle of that beer in my fridge (assuming Jeff still does it for him) and I can't wait to have it - one of my favorite smoked beers, and favorite beers of theirs.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:45 am »
Really nice smoker box.  Nice setup.  The beer sounds good.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 10:05:46 am »
Yes but what did you DO with the 3 bags of smoked malt? Share amongst the club? Or do you just REALLY like Rauchbier?

if you look down the thread he says he does it for a friend who owns a commercial brewery.

I have a bottle of that beer in my fridge (assuming Jeff still does it for him) and I can't wait to have it - one of my favorite smoked beers, and favorite beers of theirs.

I think Mr. Gladish is friends with more than one commercial brewer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 11:20:34 am »

I've been the organizer for a statewide pro beer competition for about 13 years, so I know a few.
I've smoked malt for Swamphead in Gainesville several times, Tampa Bay Brewing Co. and Southern Brewing.
If I had any time I'd smoke enough to sell it at homebrew shops.  Custom-smoked malt seems like a good idea to me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

I've been the organizer for a statewide pro beer competition for about 13 years, so I know a few.
I've smoked malt for Swamphead in Gainesville several times, Tampa Bay Brewing Co. and Southern Brewing.
If I had any time I'd smoke enough to sell it at homebrew shops.  Custom-smoked malt seems like a good idea to me.

i know he does - I was referring to Craig's Swamphead Smoked Porter which I bought a bomber of a few weekends ago.  looking forward to cracking it soon!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »
Custom-smoked malt seems like a good idea to me.
It's really easy to do if you have a decent setup (like Jeff does).  Mine is much smaller, I can only do 2-3 lbs at a time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
It's really easy to do if you have a decent setup (like Jeff does).  Mine is much smaller, I can only do 2-3 lbs at a time.
That would be a great way to add to the smoked malt palette that is out there now. So many woods to try.

I can do about 4 lbs at a time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 12:28:50 pm »
That would be a great way to add to the smoked malt palette that is out there now. So many woods to try.

I can do about 4 lbs at a time.

I did some with cherry wood that turned out nice, much smoother than the Briess cherry smoked malt which I find very harsh.  I've done some apple wood smoked too, I haven't brewed with it yet.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 12:37:45 pm »

It may be a better idea than a reality.  I had a friend that tried it but gave up after about a year.  It was more hassle than the money he made.  Of course, I have no idea how much of that was due to his marketing skills or lack thereof.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 58limited

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 12:34:53 pm »
Intriguing. I think I'll try my hand at smoked malt myself. Another idea: I'm a mead maker who likes metheglins, I might try an oak-smoked peppercorn mead to honor the Central Texas style of BBQ which uses only salt, pepper and oak smoke on the meat.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:42:22 pm by 58limited »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:34 am »
Intriguing. I think I'll try my hand at smoked malt myself. Another idea: I'm a mead maker who likes metheglins, I might try an oak-smoked peppercorn mead to honor the Central Texas style of BBQ which uses only salt, pepper and oak smoke on the meat.

No interest in a North Texas style by taking that same meat and dumping a lot of sauce on it?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 58limited

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
Nah, I only use sauce if the meat isn't that good by itself.