Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Golden Strong  (Read 14910 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Belgian Golden Strong
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2016, 08:10:25 am »
 A single-infusion at 149F seems like a good idea to me.  Both alpha and beta enzymes are active and I read this is the temperature where LOX is  inactivated.  I've made great Belgian Golden Strong Ales at this temperature.
Brian
mobrewer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2016, 09:16:14 am »
I guess I am perplexed at how a source can be cited as "an inexhaustible amount of good information" and then one that give "bad advice". I guess it's not for me to understand.  To each his own. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is nothing perplexing about it. It has tons and tons of fantastic information and a few not so good pieces of information. Pretty simple.

Ar you defining "bad info" as info that contradicts other lit, or info that causes you to make bad beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:24 am »
Info that would contradict something in other brewing science literature.

And I'm not saying at all that single infusion makes bad beer but just that sitting at a single infusion temperature that may be in the prime band for LOX has other detrimental downstream effects when taking the whole picture into consideration.

This may be outside of what people care about or worry about which was a main driver in making this thread. This way debate on these subjects stays out of other threads so that people The aren't interested don't have to suffer through the spirited conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2016, 10:08:29 am »
Info that would contradict something in other brewing science literature.

And I'm not saying at all that single infusion makes bad beer but just that sitting at a single infusion temperature that may be in the prime band for LOX has other detrimental downstream effects when taking the whole picture into consideration.

This may be outside of what people care about or worry about which was a main driver in making this thread. This way debate on these subjects stays out of other threads so that people The aren't interested don't have to suffer through the spirited conversation.

Then what happens when our own experience contradicts what we read in brewing lit?  I found that happening early on in my hobby and have spent nearly 20 years investigating it.  What about if I do something that the lit says is bad for my beer, but I don't experience those effects?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2016, 10:09:58 am »
Okay now I'm confused.  Isn't his the Belgian Golden Strong thread?
Brian
mobrewer

Big Monk

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2016, 10:16:21 am »
Yeah I've bowed out here in favor of the brewing vs citizen science thread. Sorry for jamming this one up.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:56 am »
What temperature do you step up to?

I only do steps for a few styles. Of course I do a Ferullic rest for hefes. But I often do a hochkurz for German styles. For hochkurz, I'm in the mid 140's and step to the mid 150's. I also do a mashout step to 168.

For other styles, I'm usually at a single temp (plus mashout).
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

The Beerery

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:09 am »
What temperature do you step up to?

I only do steps for a few styles. Of course I do a Ferullic rest for hefes. But I often do a hochkurz for German styles. For hochkurz, I'm in the mid 140's and step to the mid 150's. I also do a mashout step to 168.

For other styles, I'm usually at a single temp (plus mashout).

62-64(depending on the crop gelatinization temps) 30-60min for attenuation 30 will land you around 1.010-11
72 for conversion and foam 30min
77 foam and denaturing 10 min

If you are not following that schedule, I would argue you are not seeing the benefits from doing a step mash. I would try that schedule next time and see if you notice a difference.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2016, 11:28:09 am »
I will say I don't mind, and do not think it is derailed.  BGSA is the style, making good beer is the discussion we are having.  So I can apply what need be applied.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:31:10 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2017, 06:17:08 pm »
Perhaps out of line for a golden song ale, but has anyone tried one continuous rise, ala Saison Dupont?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2017, 07:36:42 pm »
Perhaps out of line for a golden song ale, but has anyone tried one continuous rise, ala Saison Dupont?
Elaborate please. I've seen this mentioned, but I don't know the details.

Big Monk

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »
Elaborate please. I've seen this mentioned, but I don't know the details.

I thinks it's just pitch and no temp control. Just a free rise to final gravity.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2017, 07:54:41 pm »
Ah. I thought he was talking mash temp. Continuous to me would be evenly over the whole time. I thought I saw somebody mentioned this for mashing as well once.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2017, 04:53:11 am »
Ah. I thought he was talking mash temp. Continuous to me would be evenly over the whole time. I thought I saw somebody mentioned this for mashing as well once.

I've definitely heard it mentioned in terms of the mash, I just read about it in the Farmhouse Ales book.  From what I remember you start at 50c, and raise 0.25c every minute for about 3 hours.  I'll take a look when I get home, and post something more accurate.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2017, 05:38:39 am »

I've definitely heard it mentioned in terms of the mash, I just read about it in the Farmhouse Ales book.  From what I remember you start at 50c, and raise 0.25c every minute for about 3 hours.  I'll take a look when I get home, and post something more accurate.

^^^ This, or something along those lines. I too forget the exact details, but I also read it in the farmhouse ales book.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.