Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap line cleaning  (Read 4366 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Tap line cleaning
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:48 pm »
I would never describe a piece of cleaning equipment as sexy.  Until today.  I've always hated cleaning these damn taps, and to be fair I still do... but now a little less.  Four lines at once?  No problem!  Now to decide if I'm mounting it externally or internally. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tap line cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »
Killer JT!

And by the way. That is one sexy piece of brewing equipment. Now if you could just program it to clean by itself.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »
Now how did you fashion that sexy beast? I'd love to clean my 3 lines at once, always wondered how I could, guess I could hook an immersion pump up in a bucket and hook a silicone hose up to my faucet like you did there. Wonder if that'd be bad for the pump. It's a pond pump...
Jesse

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:49 pm »
Now how did you fashion that sexy beast? I'd love to clean my 3 lines at once, always wondered how I could, guess I could hook an immersion pump up in a bucket and hook a silicone hose up to my faucet like you did there. Wonder if that'd be bad for the pump. It's a pond pump...

I'm using a pump in the bucket too, it shouldn't hurt it one bit - as long as you are restricting the outflow and not the inflow.  The lines you see coming from my taps simply dump right back into the bucket.  I didn't make  it, but for $60 this stainless manifold is a steal - especially considering the time savings.  I just specified in the order notes that I wanted a 1/2" barb inlet and four 1/4" male flare outlets. 
Sean contacted me right away and confirmed the layout.  They have them made in Texas I believe.  I ordered on Nov 28 and it shipped on December 5. 
http://wholesalebeerparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=895

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
Damn, I like it.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »
Ritebrew sells a similar setup with ball lock posts.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843692.htm

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 03:06:26 pm »
Ritebrew sells a similar setup with ball lock posts.

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843692.htm
As I was using mine today I thought, the only thing that could make this better would be ball lock posts.   
I do like that one I purchased is stainless with welded on fittings and has a large inlet for pushing cleaner through multiple lines.  I went with an external mount so it pretty much matches the rest of the hardware.  No regrets on this purchase!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:38:43 pm »
Looks good

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:26:15 am »
That looks awesome.

I settled for some of those ball lock couplers from Brew Hardware and chain all the taps together and cycle the cleaner through using a pond pump.  I got enough to do all six of my taps at once.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
  • Maryland (The People's Republic of)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »
What capacity pump are you using to recirculate the cleaner?  I set a system up today with a 290 gph pump and it just doesn't seem like it is powerful enough.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:18:27 pm »
What capacity pump are you using to recirculate the cleaner?  I set a system up today with a 290 gph pump and it just doesn't seem like it is powerful enough.
How many lines are you cleaning at once? I have a 120gph pump and it is pretty weak on one line. Going to upgrade soon.

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:43 pm »
3 lines.  I just noticed a poppet problem with my setup, though, so that could have accounted for the low flow rate.  I'll repair, repeat, and report.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline WattsOnTap

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:58:57 pm »
Fixed the poppet.  Still pretty weak flow, regardless of all 3 taps open or just one at a time.  I've got a 600 gph pump coming for a DIY keg/carboy washer, it might just have to pull double duty with the cleanup chores.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:09 pm »
Firstly... This is AWESOME! Nice job thinking outside the box.

Second, and for anyone else reading... Has anyone tried a similar setup with a keg attached? My idea is to pump out of my bubket onto the the front of an intertap faucet (ball lock connection for the win...) I would then remove the kegs ball lock gas in and replace it with a gas in  connection connected to some silicone tubing and run it back into the bucket. I figure it would be an ok way to run run a CIP between kegs. Obviously I would do a full cleaning of the keg and lines periodically. I'm just being lazy and have the parts so I'm wondering if it will work?

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 02:00:44 pm »
I am kegging my first beer next week (well second beer first kegging).  I have no idea how I clean the line. I have one keg and one picnic dispenser.   If the keg is in the cold outside or in the fridge, and I leave the dispensing line hooked up, is that OK?  I'd assume the beer in the line will be flat and I'd pour a bit and dump that.  If I remove the tap line how do I clean that, I'd have to remove the dispensing handle and the quick disconnect to get the tube clean.  I feel clueless about this simple stupid matter.  Or should I buy a cleaning kit of some sort with a pump?