Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75134 times)

Big Monk

What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:28 am »
Here's another one. Probably not best practice at all but....

I have complete trust in Bru'n Water as I do not own a pH meter.

As long as you are adjusting for the base Malts distilled water pH in your water sheet I'd say this isn't a bad thing.

Bryan has tested our water software in our spreadsheet about 50 times now and it shows results within 1/100th of a pH point every time.

We integrated a "malt override" cell that allows you to match the distilled water pH of the malt found in the analysis sheet.

I don't own a pH meter either but seeing brew session after brew session being verified with that kind of precision gives me comfort knowing that if my Colorphast strips are in the ballpark that I'm dead on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:13:06 am by Big Monk »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2017, 08:12:15 am »
I used to use much higher levels of sulfate in my hoppy beers (300ish) and have backed off to just over half that. I like the hops accentuated without the minerally bite nowadays. Personal preference.

I agree. I only brewed a couple pale ales of sorts in the 300 range after beginning with water chemistry. I think 150-160ppm is the sweet spot for my palette as well.
My range is 125-150ppm. As a matter of fact, 125ppm is the highest I will target for any ion except for a hoppy beer that needs a little boost in dryness (like a Red X IPA, for example).

You're completely out of hand with such low numbers!  :P
Frank

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2017, 08:38:53 am »
You can safely pitch a large amount of yeast trub without a starter with no negative effects, months after collecting it.

You can brew great beer with recipes you make up in your head on brew day.

You can make great beer using guestimation.

Simcoe hops are delicious and in no way taste or smell remotely like cat pee!
OK, this one I can't resist.  How do you know simcoe hops don't taste like cat pee?  :)

Blind triangle. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You cheesin'?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2017, 08:42:04 am »
It's a Fat Tire clone.
No amount of advice will help that.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2017, 09:05:49 am »

As long as you are adjusting for the base Malts distilled water pH in your water sheet I'd say this isn't a bad thing.

Bryan has tested our water software in our spreadsheet about 50 times now and it shows results within 1/100th of a pH point every time.

We integrated a "malt override" cell that allows you to match the distilled water pH of the malt found in the analysis sheet.

I don't own a pH meter either but seeing brew session after brew session being verified with that kind of precision gives me comfort knowing that if my Colorphast strips are in the ballpark that I'm dead on.

What kind of pH meter do you have with that level of calibration? Mine only goes within a tenth, and I don't always trust that it is accurate at that level.

Big Monk

« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2017, 09:19:08 am »

What kind of pH meter do you have with that level of calibration? Mine only goes within a tenth, and I don't always trust that it is accurate at that level.

Bryan will have to chime in. He has the Extech model. I don't own a pH meter but he has verified at least 50 times that our water software is accurate to two decimal places (that's 0.01, hundredths, right?) using all common forms of mineral acid, Sauergut, acid malt, salts, SBT and NaMeta, plus out malt override cells.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2017, 10:00:34 am »
You can safely pitch a large amount of yeast trub without a starter with no negative effects, months after collecting it.

You can brew great beer with recipes you make up in your head on brew day.

You can make great beer using guestimation.

Simcoe hops are delicious and in no way taste or smell remotely like cat pee!
OK, this one I can't resist.  How do you know simcoe hops don't taste like cat pee?  :)

Blind triangle. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You cheesin'?

LMAO.... throw back to the good ol' days of South Park!

Apparently a lot of people are cheesin'. I didn't look that hard, but the two places that I placed orders at last night (included Yakima Valley) were sold out of simcoe. I suppose I'll just have to try to replicate the cat pee by blending some equinox and chinook.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:04:37 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2017, 11:15:22 am »
I believe that a pretty good pseudo lager can be brewed with the right ale yeast (see Zymurgy, Last Drop Mar/Apr 2016).
That piece got me banned from a small lager centric forum.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2017, 12:49:26 pm »
I believe that a pretty good pseudo lager can be brewed with the right ale yeast (see Zymurgy, Last Drop Mar/Apr 2016).
That piece got me banned from a small lager centric forum.
And the GABF gold winning cream ale is brewed with Mexican lager yeast.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:06 pm »

Yup, after continually hitting my ph with brun water, pH measurements went the way of iodine starch conversion tests for me. I trust the spreadsheet.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2017, 12:57:43 pm »

Yup, after continually hitting my ph with brun water, pH measurements went the way of iodine starch conversion tests for me. I trust the spreadsheet.
I can vouch for brewer's Friend as well. Never wrong unless you make a mistake

Big Monk

What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »

As long as you have some mechanism for tracking malt pH from lot to lot, spreadsheets are good to go. Although checking anyway is still best practice.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2017, 02:12:07 pm »

As long as you have some mechanism for tracking malt pH from lot to lot, spreadsheets are good to go. Although checking anyway is still best practice.
Agreed.  You need some way to check mash ph when breaking into a new sack of grain.  When I got a sack of BestMalz pilsen, I didn't know it was weird.  The first brew with it I targeted 5.20 ph.  My meter said 4.93 and I knew something was off and did some research.  After that I entered it in Bru'nwater as 14L to compensate.  But I'm glad that sack is done.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Big Monk

« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:40 pm »

Agreed.  You need some way to check mash ph when breaking into a new sack of grain.  When I got a sack of BestMalz pilsen, I didn't know it was weird.  The first brew with it I targeted 5.20 ph.  My meter said 4.93 and I knew something was off and did some research.  After that I entered it in Bru'nwater as 14L to compensate.  But I'm glad that sack is done.

It goes the other way as well. Weyermann sacks are consistently between 5.8-6.0. So you have to have a way, either hardcoding as in BW, or a specific tracking cell (malt override in our sheet) to account for these deviations from the "average" (5.75)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2017, 02:27:53 pm »
(that's 0.01, hundredths, right?)

Right. I was having a precoffee brain fart.  :P NVMD