Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75199 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:53 am »
The guy that created the dual scale Brix/SG refractometer should be kicked in the nuts.

Since I use one of those, I'm wondering what's the problem with them?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:12 am »
The guy that created the dual scale Brix/SG refractometer should be kicked in the nuts.

Me too.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2017, 09:35:26 am »
I think hot oxiclean and PBW is probably fine just you probably need to have some recirculation and/or scrubbing. There's no way they are coming clean by soaking alone.  I think it is hard to really get inside and clean a carboy with just a bottle brush. Not impossible though. I have the carboy/corny cleaner that recircs with a pump, I do use caustic for my carboys and corny kegs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2017, 09:35:57 am »

Me too.
The SG scale is off. A 10 Brix wort should be 1.040, mine says something like 1.043. I ignore the SG scale.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:53 am »
You know, I've won more awards with stovetop/partial mash extract (designing my own recipes with DME and specialty grains) than I have with my all-grain setup.  You can, in fact, make great beer with extract.
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline biestet

• 1st Kit
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2017, 10:55:10 am »
There is no point in hop additions after the bittering charge and before flameout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2017, 11:07:17 am »
"Glass fermenters are better than plastic buckets.  There, I said it, again.  Glass is dangerous, yes.  Do be very careful with your big heavy glass carboys.  Fortunately, stainless would also be fine."
DMTaylor why are glass fermentors better?

Glass cannot be scratched and is not oxygen permeable like plastic is.  If well cleaned, there is no place in glass for wild beasts to hide out, and less chance of oxidation.  With plastic, both problems are much more likely.... although many people prefer the convenience and non-breakability of plastic.  Those are good advantages, but personally I'd rather have near-zero chance of contamination or oxidation.

Stainless trumps both, and can be cleaned hot which  adds even more benefits for sanitation. Just sayin'. ;)
Food grade white plastic buckets can be cleaned hot. I found out the hard way that Big Mouth Bubbler cannot be cleaned even with hot tap water without being deformed.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
In fairness to the BMB, they do say "nothing over 140F" all over them when you get them (at least they do now).
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Leonardashcroft

• 1st Kit
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2017, 11:14:17 am »
IPAs are the autotuned pop music of the brewing world.  Flashy.  Popular.  Uninspired and requiring very little talent to produce.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2017, 11:56:57 am »
IPAs are the autotuned pop music of the brewing world.  Flashy.  Popular.  Uninspired and requiring very little talent to produce.

A big dose of hops can cover a multitude of sins. I still enjoy a balanced symphony of hop flavor. My brewing opinion is that any hop that has the potential for catty, garlic, onion...is not a good hop and should be eradicated from the hop fields.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:01 pm »

Me too.
The SG scale is off. A 10 Brix wort should be 1.040, mine says something like 1.043. I ignore the SG scale.
That and too many people are sold on them without being told how to use them. Maybe it's the people that need to RTFM.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2017, 12:14:53 pm »
I use one but don't trust the SG reading. I take the Brix measurement and convert it to SG. Don't use it for FG at all.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »
In fairness to the BMB, they do say "nothing over 140F" all over them when you get them (at least they do now).
I don't think they used to but I like to wash my equipment in very hot water so that's a deal breaker.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »
That nothing will happen if you sell/barter homebrew to adults.  Just no evidence to the contrary .  You asked for an unpopular opinion......

Online BrewBama

What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2017, 02:59:39 pm »

Bryan has tested our water software in our spreadsheet about 50 times now and it shows results within 1/100th of a pH point every time.

I think those statements have been refuted   For example, on HBT where DeLange says:

"Well I hope you can understand why I am so skeptical. I use an electrode that costs more than 4 times what that meter did with a meter that cost 4 times what your meter did and process the results in a computer using algorithms that estimate the calibration parameters, including the iso electric pH based on hundreds of calibration readings and make the pH readings over a 20 - 30 minute period and find the pH changes over a few minutes by several time 0.01 pH. Plus, as mentioned above, bufffer tolerances of ±0.02, temperature measurement error, uncertainly in pHi and instrument noise, even with the lab grade meter I use make it extremely unlikely, in fact I'll say impossible, to measure pH consistently to 0.01 50 times in a row.

I have learned over the years that if it sounds too good to be true it isn't and this definitely sounds too good to be true. Nothing in the real world works EVERY time. Something is glaringly amiss here. Of course I am curious and would be happy to see if I can help you figure out what it is."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:01:27 pm by BrewBama »