Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75462 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
a new brewery opened up in my area. The head brewer intimated to me that they use the same yeast for their Belgians strong, saison and witbier. It was pretty disappointing.

I've noticed the same. I think saison is one of the trendy styles du jour. "So let's butcher it for a year, then on to the next thing."
The brewery that opened recently in my town started out with a so-so "farmhouse Ale" but quickly improved it. they moved from a Belgian strain to a French strain to a different Belgian. They are a Farmer Brewery so I think they were pretty dedicated to getting their Farmhouse Ale right.
Is this Stone Cow? I don't think I had their farmhouse, but their Farmer's Daughter berliner is killer!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
a new brewery opened up in my area. The head brewer intimated to me that they use the same yeast for their Belgians strong, saison and witbier. It was pretty disappointing.

I've noticed the same. I think saison is one of the trendy styles du jour. "So let's butcher it for a year, then on to the next thing."
The brewery that opened recently in my town started out with a so-so "farmhouse Ale" but quickly improved it. they moved from a Belgian strain to a French strain to a different Belgian. They are a Farmer Brewery so I think they were pretty dedicated to getting their Farmhouse Ale right.
Is this Stone Cow? I don't think I had their farmhouse, but their Farmer's Daughter berliner is killer!
Yes. I don't have the Farmer's Daughter a lot because I have to be in the mood, which is generally in the summer. The Farmhouse I get growlers of because its a great session beer. 3.9% I believe and tasty as heck.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brew inspector01

• Cellarman
« Reply #527 on: January 12, 2017, 03:42:39 pm »
wait, what the heck is happening with bananas?
A fungal disease. Since its a huge monoculture crop, with only one cultivar commercially grown, it may get wiped out.

How the hell am I just hearing about this. That really sucks.

And Y2K might spark a nuclear war, and aliens might take over the planet, and Donald Trump might become president.

Pffft, don't worry about it!  ;)
Don't worry about it but it is true.  In fact the Cavendish variety we eat now is what replaced the previous banana of choice years ago. They just need to get on with the selection of a new breed and begin cultivation

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #528 on: January 12, 2017, 03:51:57 pm »
Don't worry about it but it is true.  In fact the Cavendish variety we eat now is what replaced the previous banana of choice years ago. They just need to get on with the selection of a new breed and begin cultivation

I'm not worried.  Regardless of all other madness in this world, I actually still have just enough faith in humanity that we will be able to save the banana.  There are other varieties besides Cavendish.  Even plantains aren't half bad if allowed to fully ripen.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #529 on: January 12, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »
From what I have heard, most of the contenders suck compared to the cavendish which sucks compared to the Gros Michele. There are so many factors that go into it. Taste, size, texture, storability, durability, disease resistance, water needs, nutrient needs, plant height, spacing.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #530 on: January 12, 2017, 03:59:29 pm »

I'm not worried.  Regardless of all other madness in this world, I actually still have just enough faith in humanity that we will be able to save the banana.  There are other varieties besides Cavendish.  Even plantains aren't half bad if allowed to fully ripen.

Of all the unpopular opinions I have heard in this thread, this one takes the cake haha.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #531 on: January 12, 2017, 04:18:31 pm »

Of all the unpopular opinions I have heard in this thread, this one takes the cake haha.
Slice them,  pan fry and sprinkle some salt on them and they are delicious.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #532 on: January 12, 2017, 04:24:09 pm »
Quote from: bboy9000 link=topic=28401.msg373705#msg373705
Slice them,  pan fry and sprinkle some salt on them and they are delicious.

Yeah, they're tasty.Just not raw.
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #533 on: January 12, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »
A fungal disease. Since its a huge monoculture crop, with only one cultivar commercially grown, it may get wiped out.

Well, when you factor in the carbon footprint of flying bananas around the world, I don't see it as such a big problem.  IMO, we need to focus on more local food options and especially growing our own food (subsistence farming) as ways to personally combat climate change.  My kids never ate a banana until the past year, when we relaxed our standards a bit.  They get more excited about picking cherry tomatoes and berries from the garden than bananas.  Keep in mind that I'm a tree-hugging Earth Science teacher/hobby farmer, and I'm always "thinking green".

Offline Stevie

« Reply #534 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:19 pm »

Well, when you factor in the carbon footprint of flying bananas around the world, I don't see it as such a big problem.  IMO, we need to focus on more local food options and especially growing our own food (subsistence farming) as ways to personally combat climate change.  My kids never ate a banana until the past year, when we relaxed our standards a bit.  They get more excited about picking cherry tomatoes and berries from the garden than bananas.  Keep in mind that I'm a tree-hugging Earth Science teacher/hobby farmer, and I'm always "thinking green".
Bananas in the US are shipped by container ship but your point is extremely valid.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #535 on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:09 pm »

Here is a potentially unpopular opinion: if your Tripel tastes like a Hefe, you did it wrong.

I totally agree.

I brewed a tripel with a dry yeast that had banana flavors, and I just called it a Belgian Hefe.

Couldn't wait to get rid of it and gave most of it away.

Ralph R.

narvin

« Reply #536 on: January 12, 2017, 05:40:29 pm »
I hope that people are getting to understand Belgian beers enough that these opinions aren't unpopular.  But it also shouldn't taste like bubblegum  :D

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #537 on: January 12, 2017, 06:00:35 pm »
SAVE THE BANANA!  SAVE THE BANANA!  SAVE THE BANANA!

OK, this thread is officially a train wreck!
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #538 on: January 13, 2017, 07:10:09 am »
This thread is for fun. I think it's fine if it gets off topic, silly, or whatnot. An unpopular opinion?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #539 on: January 13, 2017, 07:18:02 am »
This thread is for fun. I think it's fine if it gets off topic, silly, or whatnot. An unpopular opinion?

It's rare the thread that doesn't get derailed.

Signed,
Frequent Derailer
Jon H.