Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75286 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #585 on: June 01, 2020, 11:47:55 am »
OK, I'll chime in here.

I really do not like having to show people who believe that if a beer is dark in color it must be a really heavy beer (e.g. an imperial stout) is a false assumption.  One of my friends refers to all of my darker beers as "motor oil".  I have repeatedly given these people some examples that are darker in color but have a lighter body to prove my point. but I still can't convince many of them otherwise.  I guess it is the light American Lager syndrome that has brainwashed them.

I'd love to have a dollar for every time I've heard someone say "I don't like dark beer". With age though perhaps come a smidgen of wisdom, I've finally given up trying to enlighten all those poor ignorant souls, it was like chasing parked cars.
Nice one Visor, hope you and all the other brewer are doing well in this time.
Hey can you recommend a good style for one that is not a fan of dark beer? The only one I love and brew with some frequence is a dark mild, my country is too damn hot for a some dark beer, but I did a 3 gallon batch of english porter, really good, but not my cup of tea
Are you able to brew lagers? Schwarzbier is a classic example of a dark beer that goes down smooth and isn't heavy on the roast flavors. Black IPA is another one if you like hoppy ales.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #586 on: June 01, 2020, 12:08:15 pm »
IMO Czech Dark Lager is another dark beer that is not heavy:

Ivan Chramosil, who served as the brewmaster at U Fleků for over 44 years, recommends 50 percent Pilsner malt, between 30 and 40 percent Munich malt, up to 15 percent of a caramel malt like CaraMunich, and at most 5 percent of a very dark malt like Weyermann’s Carafa II Special (debittered).  Saaz hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #587 on: June 01, 2020, 12:31:03 pm »

Ivan Chramosil, who served as the brewmaster at U Fleků for over 44 years, recommends 50 percent Pilsner malt, between 30 and 40 percent Munich malt, up to 15 percent of a caramel malt like CaraMunich, and at most 5 percent of a very dark malt like Weyermann’s Carafa II Special (debittered).  Saaz hops.

Oooh!  Thanks for the tip!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #588 on: June 01, 2020, 12:45:21 pm »
I made a couple batches of Munich Dunkel recently, very similar to the Czech dark as above.  Very "quaffable."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #589 on: June 01, 2020, 01:18:15 pm »
I made a couple batches of Munich Dunkel recently, very similar to the Czech dark as above.  Very "quaffable."

Czech dark lager, Munich dunkel, Vienna lager....one of those is up next for me.  Got a good Vienna recipe?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #590 on: June 01, 2020, 02:33:10 pm »
Dunkelweizen is another tasty "dark" beer that drinks like a summer wheat.  I've got a keg of it on tap right and it's very nice on a warm day.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #591 on: June 01, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »

I've made Tmavý Ležák a few times. I have the malts collected.
50% Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian
30% Weyermann  Dark Floor Malted Bohemian
15% Weyermann  Carabohemian
5% Dark Roasted malt (Midnight Wheat is my choice).

Saaz hops to 25 IBU

I have Augustineer yesdt on hand, Imperial L17.

I will do a Hochkurz step mash.

Ferment at 50 F.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »

Saaz hops to 25 IBU

Ferment at 50 F.

Thanks! Mine will be all Mecca Grade since that's what I've got on hand.  Diamond Lager yeast for the same reason.  Have to find a sub for carabohemian

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
I agree with those Czech Dark recipes - spot on with what I do.

As to a Vienna for 5 gallons here's one from a friend who wins a lot in comps with it:

5.5# Weyermann Vienna
2 lbs Best Red X
1.6# Weyermann Pils
2 ozs. Carafa II Special (or Midnight Wheat)
.5 oz Mittelfruh, .25 oz. Magnum, and .25 oz. Tettnang at 60 minutes (or FWH)
.5 oz Tettnang at 10 minutes (or KO)

Water adjustments from RO - Mash .75g CaSO4, .25g CaCl2, .92ml Lactic Acid; Boil - 1g CaSO4, .35g CaCl2, 1.6ml Lactic Acid

Wyeast 2206 or brewer's preferred lager yeast strain of choice.  Batch sparged, naturally....(though I have done a Hochkurz step mash also with good results).

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #594 on: June 01, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »
I like the BCS Vienna Lager recipe: 60/20/20 Vienna/Pils/Munich with a cpl oz of Carafa Special II for color. Hallertau hops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #595 on: June 01, 2020, 03:49:37 pm »
I agree with those Czech Dark recipes - spot on with what I do.

As to a Vienna for 5 gallons here's one from a friend who wins a lot in comps with it:

5.5# Weyermann Vienna
2 lbs Best Red X
1.6# Weyermann Pils
2 ozs. Carafa II Special (or Midnight Wheat)
.5 oz Mittelfruh, .25 oz. Magnum, and .25 oz. Tettnang at 60 minutes (or FWH)
.5 oz Tettnang at 10 minutes (or KO)

Water adjustments from RO - Mash .75g CaSO4, .25g CaCl2, .92ml Lactic Acid; Boil - 1g CaSO4, .35g CaCl2, 1.6ml Lactic Acid

Wyeast 2206 or brewer's preferred lager yeast strain of choice.  Batch sparged, naturally....(though I have done a Hochkurz step mash also with good results).

Cheers!r

Thanks

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #596 on: June 01, 2020, 03:50:25 pm »
I like the BCS Vienna Lager recipe: 60/20/20 Vienna/Pils/Munich with a cpl oz of Carafa Special II for color. Hallertau hops.

For some reason I haven t had good experiences with a lot of the recipes in that book.  Maybe its just me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2020, 03:58:42 pm »
I’ve had good and bad. I like that one.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #598 on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:47 pm »

Saaz hops to 25 IBU

Ferment at 50 F.

Thanks! Mine will be all Mecca Grade since that's what I've got on hand.  Diamond Lager yeast for the same reason.  Have to find a sub for carabohemian
Look up the color, ratio some C60 and C80.

I've been collecting ingredients for a long while for this. Finally found the Dark Floor malted.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #599 on: June 02, 2020, 08:11:00 am »
OK, I'll chime in here.

I really do not like having to show people who believe that if a beer is dark in color it must be a really heavy beer (e.g. an imperial stout) is a false assumption.  One of my friends refers to all of my darker beers as "motor oil".  I have repeatedly given these people some examples that are darker in color but have a lighter body to prove my point. but I still can't convince many of them otherwise.  I guess it is the light American Lager syndrome that has brainwashed them.

I'd love to have a dollar for every time I've heard someone say "I don't like dark beer". With age though perhaps come a smidgen of wisdom, I've finally given up trying to enlighten all those poor ignorant souls, it was like chasing parked cars.
Nice one Visor, hope you and all the other brewer are doing well in this time.
Hey can you recommend a good style for one that is not a fan of dark beer? The only one I love and brew with some frequence is a dark mild, my country is too damn hot for a some dark beer, but I did a 3 gallon batch of english porter, really good, but not my cup of tea
Are you able to brew lagers? Schwarzbier is a classic example of a dark beer that goes down smooth and isn't heavy on the roast flavors. Black IPA is another one if you like hoppy ales.

Yes, I brew lagers.  I haven't done a Schwarzbier yet but plan to in the future.  I also have a really good Black IPA on tap that I have medalled with a couple times.  I use this as an example a lot.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:18:11 am by goose »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified