2 (3.6%)
Clones
0 (0%)
From recipe books/other brewers
4 (7.1%)
Mix it up
22 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Your own recipes, kits or other's recipes?  (Read 9442 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Your own recipes, kits or other's recipes?
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:45 am »
What do you typically brew?  I started out doing kits, then started doing my own recipes.  But sometimes I feel like brewing kits just for the hell of it; for something different than I'd normally brew.  Lately I've been running out of ideas or desires to brew my own recipes because basically all I know how to create recipes for are IPAs, pale ales, amber ales and stouts...I get a little bored with stuff like that all the time.

Cheers,

Jesse
Jesse

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Your own recipes, kits or other's recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:50 am »
I'm a full blown recipe creator (big surprise). In a lot of ways, for me that's the biggest pants kicker I get from homebrewing is the thought experiments on what to create.

I'm not even sure I can remember the last time I did a kit!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
I started out like most--a Mr. Beer Kit.  Then box kits (extract/partial grain).  Now, All-Grain.

I'm like Drew--I really like knowing why I use each ingredient in the recipe. 
I also find the process fascinating--especially how so many people brew in so many different ways and still make great beer.

Yes, I daresay that brewing can be a cerebral and creative process--if you want it to be. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:37:05 am »
I spend more time thinking up recipes than I do actually getting around to brewing.  I have been planning a rhubarb and rye concoction ever since I had a rhubarb/strawberry jam peanut butter sandwhich on rye bread.  If I could actually find some time to try it I could move on to other things.  Like Drew, I think designing the beers is fun. I try not to get hung up on a style. Just what I think will taste good and refreshing.  of course go look at extreme brewing and radical brewing, or the homebrewer's garden for some unique stuff to try.
Don AHA member

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:47:52 am »
I wing it at least half the time. Spot a recipe - missing ingredients - make some subs... it's beer.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
I've never used a kit. Started brewing extract/specialty grains copying recipes. Now all grain and all original recipes for the most part. I reference other recipes for some inspiration and general aiming in the right direction (if I don't know the style very well), but I try to put my own stamp on them.

I've found experimentation a great way to understand the ingredients that I am using and it really makes it rewarding when you knock one out of the park and the recipe is all yours.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:46 pm »
Generally, the first time a brew a beer, I will brew the style form JZ's book.  then, I start "tweaking."

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »
if i'm brewing a style for the first time i'll either follow a book or buy a kit...NB kits have treated me well in this respect.
Take it easy...

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »
the last time I brewed a kit was the first time  I brewed at all.

almost all the recipes I brew with regularity are my own evolutions, though I do use JZ's Amber and most recently, majorvice's helles, as 'house recipes'

if I am looking to create something new such as last year when I started on the "Dunkel Project" I'll consult JZ's BCS or online, but I tend not to like a lot of the recipes in the BCS, so it may only be to see what level of Carafa Special he used or something like that to get a ballpark and go from there.

honing in recipes is part of the fun for me, but not as much as the taste testing.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »
the last time I brewed a kit was the first time  I brewed...

+1

Developing recipes and honing the brewing process is what it's all about for me. 

It's the freedom of experimentation that keeps me inspired.

Ron Price

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
So where are all the people that brew Denny's RPA?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »
So where are all the people that brew Denny's RPA?

haven't brewed that in at least 3 years  ;)

but I might brew it again this fall.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
I have my copy of Denny's RIPA on tap right now.

I've 3 maybe 4 extract kits many moons ago.  I've used many recipes from other people, both extract and all grain.  Like others I generally start with a published recipe to establish what a new brew should taste/look like and then they start morphing.

I have recipes I make now that are still named the same but haven't been the original brew in 6 years.  I keep telling myself I need to change the names.

Mix it up and have some fun.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »
I think what I really need to do is brew more and drink more  ;D

Great to see your responses, guys.

Cheers
Jesse

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 01:18:11 pm »
Generally, the first time a brew a beer, I will brew the style form JZ's book.  then, I start "tweaking."

+1 on that!  I usually use a recipe - either from "Classic Styles," BYO, or one my my clone books, and then go from there.  I find that JZ's recipes usually give me a good foundation to work with.  I will be guaranteed to make something at least drinkable the first time out with a recipe, which is not the case if I do one from complete scratch.

I never used to be a big kit user, but have recently started playing with them - NB makes some fine kits!  If it's a style I don't brew a lot or am unsure of, I might hit a kit.  Example - a couple buddies helped me roof the garage last year.  They both like Wits, but I'm not a big fan.  So, I bought NB's to brew them for a thank you.  Gave them most of it and saved a 12'er for myself.  I've also found kits to be a little more "economical" in that I'm not left with a lot of odds and ends of specialty grains and hops laying around - you get what you need.  I might be doing a few more of them in the future.  However, I do like adjusting a recipe to my specific tastes - that's why I brew!   ;D