Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I was right!  (Read 4805 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
I was right!
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:27 pm »
Just have to crow a bit.  I recently stated on this forum somewhere that my favorite Imperial IPA is Bale Breaker's Mt. St. Humulus.  This is not just because they are from Yakima.  I have tried many imperial IPAs including most of the highly coveted examples.  This one is my favorite.  They are going to release this year's edition tomorrow at the annual Hop Mob in Seattle, and at the brewery. The Washington Beer Blog just announced that Mt. St. Humulus won first place among the ~50 breweries at this year's Hop Mob!

Top Four: 1) Bale Breaker Brewing Company, 2) Georgetown Brewing, 3) Reuben's Brews, and 4) Schooner Exact Brewing Co.

I wish I could send some to you all, but it is only sold by the keg.  I'll be at the brewery tomorrow drinking my share... and maybe a bit of yours too.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: I was right!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »
Nice!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:18 pm »
Ha ha!  I just told my son-in-law about the win and this was his response:

"Not surprised.  I have yet to find a way to describe the moment I first took a drink that isn't super weird.  As I recall it there were clouds breaking to let in majestic rays of sunshine, and a magnificent choir singing in the distance.  The winds picked up to an enjoyable breeze and even the animals were frolicking in delight.  So yeah, kind of hard to talk to people about."
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:52:24 am »
if it's anywhere near as delicious as their IPA, I'm sure it's amazing.  Having said that, IMO Field 41 is just about the perfect APA and my go-to PNW beer.  I know Hieronymus feels similarly.  They make great beer; hope I can try this one someday.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:29:34 am »
pretty awesome.

and funny too - I looked it up - uses Mosaic, Ekuanot and Citra.  I started using 50:50 Ekuanot/Citra in my IIPA last summer - its the best IIPA I've ever had, and needless to say, I won't be tinkering with my IIPA hop bill anymore.

Enjoy!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
Just have to crow a bit.  I recently stated on this forum somewhere that my favorite Imperial IPA is Bale Breaker's Mt. St. Humulus.  This is not just because they are from Yakima.  I have tried many imperial IPAs including most of the highly coveted examples.  This one is my favorite.  They are going to release this year's edition tomorrow at the annual Hop Mob in Seattle, and at the brewery. The Washington Beer Blog just announced that Mt. St. Humulus won first place among the ~50 breweries at this year's Hop Mob!

Top Four: 1) Bale Breaker Brewing Company, 2) Georgetown Brewing, 3) Reuben's Brews, and 4) Schooner Exact Brewing Co.

I wish I could send some to you all, but it is only sold by the keg.  I'll be at the brewery tomorrow drinking my share... and maybe a bit of yours too.

I think I would have say the best IPAs I've ever had are a tie between Bale Breaker and Block 15's Sticky Hands.  I was gonna go with Bale Breaker, but I picked up some Sticky Hands yesterday and damn....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:16:49 am »
I've not come across Block 15 yet, let alone Sticky Hands.  I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled.  Where is the brewery?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:20:07 am »
I've not come across Block 15 yet, let alone Sticky Hands.  I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled.  Where is the brewery?

Brewery is in Corvallis OR about 30 mi.north of me....http://block15.com/  I believe they used some of the new YCH cryo hop powder in it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:30:17 am »
Man, I've always wanted to live in the PNW. This does NOTHING to change my mind   :).  Makes me want to track some down when I can vacation out that way.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:41:12 am »
pretty awesome.

and funny too - I looked it up - uses Mosaic, Ekuanot and Citra.  I started using 50:50 Ekuanot/Citra in my IIPA last summer - its the best IIPA I've ever had, and needless to say, I won't be tinkering with my IIPA hop bill anymore.

Enjoy!

I need to buy some more Ekuanot - still haven't split it with Citra yet. Next IPA!  My Galaxy/Citra IPA is mighty fine right now, though.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:14 am »
pretty awesome.

Enjoy!

My Galaxy/Citra IPA is mighty fine right now, though.

Love that blend. Even with a bit of cascade to tone down some of the tropical fruitiness. Those two together are awesome.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:44:04 am »
My Galaxy/Citra IPA is mighty fine right now, though.

Love that blend. Even with a bit of cascade to tone down some of the tropical fruitiness. Those two together are awesome.

Yeah, for sure. This is the first IPA I've spunded. The hop character is just fantastic. The other test will be in its longevity.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:37 am »
Next IPA!  My Galaxy/Citra IPA is mighty fine right now, though.

cool!  my next IPA is going to be equal parts Citra, Ekuanot, Azacca and Mosaic, bittered with WaRRioR - Tropical C.r.E.A.M.

back to the topic though - I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some of this Bale Breaker, given that you all like it so much.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:49:39 am »

cool!  my next IPA is going to be equal parts Citra, Ekuanot, Azacca and Mosaic, bittered with WaRRioR - Tropical C.r.E.A.M.

Sounds good!
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 11:50:55 am »

back to the topic though - I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some of this Bale Breaker, given that you all like it so much.

Bale Breaker Top Cutter was so good when I was at hop school in Yakima.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!