Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains  (Read 12881 times)

Big Monk

Re: Wyeast Discontinuing Some Strains
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 10:29:00 am »
This is one of the main reasons I want to cultivate from a fresh bottle of Chimay here in the future. They bottle with their primary strain.

As do most Belgian breweries, according to Stan.

Another incredibly interesting fact I found in "Yeast" was that Chimay uses a freshly cultivate pitch for each batch. No repitching. They are super diligent about pitching the purest form of the strain every time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:20 am »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.

Do you any specifics on anything they're coming with?  I'm hoping for some characterFUL British strains (fingers-crossed).

I'm super bummed about 2035 and budvar - both excellent strains.  Luckily, I have 2035 in my frozen bank, but not budvar (might need to add that if I can still find it).

Ya know there are at least some interesting British strains out for 1st quarter PC, right?  I don't feel comfortable divulging any more info until I ask them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:18 am »
This is one of the main reasons I want to cultivate from a fresh bottle of Chimay here in the future. They bottle with their primary strain.

De Halve Maan don't (at least according to their brewery tour).

which is why I said "most" rather than "all".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 11:17:24 am »
FWIW, Wyeast is also bringing back some old yeasts and looking to release some totally new ones.

Do you any specifics on anything they're coming with?  I'm hoping for some characterFUL British strains (fingers-crossed).

I have heard that 3726 Farmhouse Ale is one of the ones that will now be available year round.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:17 am »

I have heard that 3726 Farmhouse Ale is one of the ones that will now be available year round.

I hope that's the case. Awesome!

Edit -  I've sure bugged them enough about it. Enough of that stuff pays off eventually.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:22:14 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 11:28:51 am »

I'm super bummed about 2035 and budvar - both excellent strains.  Luckily, I have 2035 in my frozen bank, but not budvar (might need to add that if I can still find it).

Ya know there are at least some interesting British strains out for 1st quarter PC, right?  I don't feel comfortable divulging any more info until I ask them.

Actually, I had forgot to check on those - thanks for pointing them out.  Last I checked (December) it was still showing last quarter's private collection.  The 1768 was fine but nothing to write home about (for me).  The cask ale sounds like it's not quite what I'm after, but the Thames Valley II seems like it might fit the bill.

Anyone used 1882 Thames Valley II that would like to comment on it?  Ester/fruit-wise, how prominent is the character?

And, that would be awesome to see 3726 offered as a year-round strain.  I banked some about 5 years ago and have been using it about once a year ever since.  Definitely my favorite saison strain; opposite side of the court than 3711, IMO.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
Interesting that both Budvar and PU made the list. Guess no one brews Bo Pils much anymore?

Hoping that this makes room for Unibroue to be year-round...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:33 am »
I wonder if some strains are just more popular from one vendor vs. another?  I can't see White Labs discontinuing 380 or 800... hopefully   :(

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:27 am »
Interesting that both Budvar and PU made the list. Guess no one brews Bo Pils much anymore?

They still have the 2278 Czech Lager, some say that is the PU-D strain. They are dropping the PU-H strain. I predict White Labs will sell more WLP800.

What is the bet that Wyeast will introduce some version of the yeast used to make a Vermont IPA?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:50:42 am »

I can't say for certain, but that's a good guess!  :)

Also, a lot of the strains being made unavailable as year round will show up as PCs.  Keep in mind that Drew and I are choosing the PCs this year.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:44 am »
They still have the 2278 Czech Lager, some say that is the PU-D strain. They are dropping the PU-H strain. I predict White Labs will sell more WLP800.

What is the bet that Wyeast will introduce some version of the yeast used to make a Vermont IPA?

Well, there's 1318 already, which is rumored to be widely used in NEIPA.  If you're thinking of the Conan strain, then I dunno.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »

De Halve Maan don't (at least according to their brewery tour).

which is why I said "most" rather than "all".
I realised that, just letting people know not to bother trying to harvest from their beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »

Well, there's 1318 already, which is rumored to be widely used in NEIPA.  If you're thinking of the Conan strain, then I dunno.
That was my guess. The 1318 is always out when I am at the LHBS. Maybe just more production of that one?

WHite Labs has the 095 Burlington strain now. Most probably Conan, as Conan came from the Greg Noonan's Vermont Pub and brewery in Burlington.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 12:19:48 pm »
That was my guess. The 1318 is always out when I am at the LHBS. Maybe just more production of that one?

Maybe it's more of an ordering problem than a production problem.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:30:13 pm »

I am hoping this also. I used WY3864 a few times and it gave good results everytime.

Ralph R.