Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many here would buy a Grainfather???  (Read 21466 times)

Offline texaswine

• 1st Kit
Re: How many here would buy a Grainfather???
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:04 pm »
Let's take money aside, assume you got it to burn, how many would buy one?  A neighbor of mine asked if I'd be interested in splitting one.  I didn't even know he brewed until I ran into him at the HBS.  He brews 5-6x a year for beer, and 5-6x for cider and/or wine.  We live two doors apart and I might entertain it.  We had the discussion in the HBS and the owner said stay away from them but then again he's not a distributor.  He said much better results from a dedicated tun setup.  Any thoughts?
I debated the Grainfather early on in my selection process and ultimately decided against it. The system linked below is a much better value in my opinion.

https://brausupply.com/products/unibrau-120v-5-gallon-brew-boss-automated-brew-system?variant=19286933701

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 02:01:12 pm »
Let's take money aside, assume you got it to burn, how many would buy one?  A neighbor of mine asked if I'd be interested in splitting one.  I didn't even know he brewed until I ran into him at the HBS.  He brews 5-6x a year for beer, and 5-6x for cider and/or wine.  We live two doors apart and I might entertain it.  We had the discussion in the HBS and the owner said stay away from them but then again he's not a distributor.  He said much better results from a dedicated tun setup.  Any thoughts?
I debated the Grainfather early on in my selection process and ultimately decided against it. The system linked below is a much better value in my opinion.

https://brausupply.com/products/unibrau-120v-5-gallon-brew-boss-automated-brew-system?variant=19286933701

Since that is basically the same price as the GF, what makes it a better value?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 02:22:39 pm »
The unibrau certainly gains points for the 120V and two elements.  Just how heavy is the basket with grain, about 75 pounds? I would like the flexibility to move the thing around indoors or out and not have to bring a winch and crane with me :)  That might be a deal breaker for my neighbor who intends to split it with me.  I'm not sure where the better value comes in. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »
The 2 X 1500W elements seem like a nice feature (the GF has 1 x 1600W I think for the heating coil).  You just need to make sure you have two separate circuits I guess.

I wish the GF had a 240V in the US when I bought mine, but I may look at a High Gravity eBIAB system for my 240V setup.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
Also, someone speak to me about the PRACTICAL difference in extraction rates, quality of product..etc of the BIAB method vs more "traditional" sparge methods with GF?? Is there really any difference in quality of wort?  I appreciate all the advice here.

Offline texaswine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:12 pm »

3000 watts of heating power versus 1600 watts. Better controller (Auber EZBoil versus analog). Ability to no sparge if you desire (45 liter versus 30 liter volume). Off the shelf parts I can replace myself should they break, or swap out just for giggles. Speaking of which, you could even upgrade to 240v if you wanted to get a different controller and element.

Just a few off the top of my noggin.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 02:28:30 pm »
I have been getting around 78% efficiency on mine.  After the initial drain, you push the plate down to the top of the grain and sparge.  I turn the boil on after the drain to start it ramping up too.  I also like the easy of doing a mash out...just set the temp to 168 and recirculate for the time you want.

I've also been getting this efficiency with cold water sparging after seeing the Brulosphy Xbeeriment on it.  Not having to heat up sparge water and have the lift up and turn basket makes for a nice, small footprint on brewday.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline texaswine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 02:28:56 pm »

The unibrau certainly gains points for the 120V and two elements.  Just how heavy is the basket with grain, about 75 pounds? I would like the flexibility to move the thing around indoors or out and not have to bring a winch and crane with me :)  That might be a deal breaker for my neighbor who intends to split it with me.  I'm not sure where the better value comes in.

It's no heavier than the GF basket with the same amount of grain. Both have the ability to suspend the basket, locked in place, at the kettle rim. So you don't have to stand there holding it or use a ratchet pulley.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 02:30:38 pm »
Off the shelf parts I can replace myself should they break,

This is one of the only things I worry about with the GF is if the coil goes.  Since it's sealed up in the unit, there's no easy part replacement.  Basically have to buy a new one.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »
Also, someone speak to me about the PRACTICAL difference in extraction rates, quality of product..etc of the BIAB method vs more "traditional" sparge methods with GF?? Is there really any difference in quality of wort?  I appreciate all the advice here.

No difference at all IMO.  I sparge with room temp water when I use it so that just makes it even easier.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:43 pm »

3000 watts of heating power versus 1600 watts. Better controller (Auber EZBoil versus analog). Ability to no sparge if you desire (45 liter versus 30 liter volume). Off the shelf parts I can replace myself should they break, or swap out just for giggles. Speaking of which, you could even upgrade to 240v if you wanted to get a different controller and element.

Just a few off the top of my noggin.

Thanks for the info!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 03:21:03 pm »

It's no heavier than the GF basket with the same amount of grain. Both have the ability to suspend the basket, locked in place, at the kettle rim. So you don't have to stand there holding it or use a ratchet pulley.

I didnt know that.  I was reading on one of the links or saw their device which was a pulley so assumed you had to hold it up. 

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:23:19 pm »
The only problem with the name is that woman from Austin Powers.  Wasn't her name Unibrow?  :) 

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 04:09:10 pm »

wow, never have seen this before, just heard of the grainfather. This one seems a little nicer.

Offline Laminarman

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 04:48:22 pm »
Watching the videos, gotta admit, it's a bit simpler by design and pretty slick.