Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wings  (Read 5473 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Wings
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:04:20 am »
So the perfect wings come with the perfect fry, and the perfect sauce.  I like mine hot, extremely hot.  How do you do wings?

2 sauces that I do pretty regularly is Habanero Orange and Stupid Hot (I make my own pepper sauce)

Habanero Orange
7 Habaneros diced
1 cup orange juice
zest of med orange
2 tbsp sesame stir fry sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves
1 green onion sliced
1/4 cup sugar

no dipping sauce

Stupid Hot
1/2 stick butter
1/3 Traditional Hot Sauce
2 tsp Ground Habanero powder
2 tsp Onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp worcestershire
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar

I serve these with blue cheese and dill dipping sauce.

traditional hot sauce
2 cups roasted tomatoes diced
1 1/4 cup chilis of your choice - I prefer to roast mine
1 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves

Cook on high for 5 mins, reduce to a simmer and hold for 20 mins, then stick blend/processor into a smooth sauce.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Wings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:38:42 am »
I love hot, but it doesn't like me. I like the wings grilled and a milder sauce. A large bottle of Crystal hot sauce and 1/4 cube of butter. I make a blue cheese/ranch dressing for dipping.

Blue Cheese Ranch Dip:

4 ounces blue cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 TBSP Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix

In a small mixing bowl, mash blue cheese with a fork. Mix in remaining ingresients and whisk until well blended. Chill before serving.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 08:40:16 am »
I don't do really hot foods and I also don't fry wings, I smoke them. My favorite is to smoke the wings with hickory and then to get a bottle of George's Hot and George's Original and mix them 50/50. Take about half a bottle of the mix and simmer it down till it coats a spoon. Toss the wings in the thickened sauce and serve. Easy and delicious.

http://georgesbbqsauce.com/

A brewpub in Blacksburg, VA does spicy garlic smoked wings. They are manna from heaven.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:10:51 am »
I don't make wings myself. It's mainly because I have really sensitive eyes, and I hate eating messy foods with my hands. No matter how much I wash my hands, there's always some residue left on my fingers and even hours later if I touch my eyes they will tear up and burn.

That said, a good friend of mine is a wing connoisseur and makes killer wings himself. The trick is to pre-bake them for about 20 minutes before you fry them. The fried wings come out super-crispy, and the meat is nice and moist.

For a sauce, you can't beat the traditional - Frank's Red Hot and Margarine. Toss in some pepperoncini rings to boost the flavor without amping up the heat.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:43 am »
I don't do really hot foods and I also don't fry wings, I smoke them. My favorite is to smoke the wings with hickory and then to get a bottle of George's Hot and George's Original and mix them 50/50. Take about half a bottle of the mix and simmer it down till it coats a spoon. Toss the wings in the thickened sauce and serve. Easy and delicious.

A brewpub in Blacksburg, VA does spicy garlic smoked wings. They are manna from heaven.

LOVE smoked wings. That's my method. I make all kinds of sauces- the ubiquitous Buffalo, spicy Asian, spicy garlic, spicy bbq, etc. The common thread - spicy. Not stupid ghost/Reaper hot, just a blend of chilis including habanero.
Jon H.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:24:29 am »
I "glaze" the wings with a quick hot bake after I toss my wings.  No sloppy wings is a good wing, not for me anyway.  A prebake is nice, but honestly, a boil is better.  I know it sounds crazy, but boil for 5 mins, drain, coat with flour, then flash fry, sauce, bake and enjoy.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:02:04 am »
I love all sorts of wings.  I’ve been smoking my wings lately too.  I use a Cajun seasoning rub and smoke them  with Pecan wood.   They are great with or without sauce.   Now I’m hungry!
Mark

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
Subscribing.  I want wings now.  Keep posting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:00:28 am »
http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/2/

My next wing experiment gochujang wings....

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:11 am »

LOVE smoked wings. That's my method. I make all kinds of sauces- the ubiquitous Buffalo, spicy Asian, spicy garlic, spicy bbq, etc. The common thread - spicy. Not stupid ghost/Reaper hot, just a blend of chilis including habanero.

I do them on the smoker, too.  Typically, I'll soak them overnight in marinade.  One bag gets BBQ, one bag gets something spicy.  Toss them on the smoker and let 'em go.  Easy.  Tasty.  Always a hit.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 10:16:26 am »
Having made many flavors of wings over the years, my favorite is still good ole Buffalo wings.  Grilled.  Here is how I make them:

Use whole chicken wings.  Cut off the flipper.  Season with your favorite seasoning salt (I use our local Montana product, Alpine Touch).

Grill offset in a kamodo-type grill.  Lump charcoal, a handfull of wood chips.  Should take about 45 minutes in a 325° grill.

Meanwhile, make the sauce.

A cup or so of Frank's
1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter
A few drops of Tabasco
A few drops of red wine vinegar

Melt over low heat on the stove.

Once the wings are cooked, dip in the sauce pan individually and put back on the grill for 5-10 minutes.

For mild wings, dip and grill once.  For medium wings, dip and grill twice. For hot wings, dip and grill thrice.

Serve with celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing.

My wife prefers Hoisin wings.  She takes a jar of Hoison sauce, butter, a tablespoon or so of peanut butter, and a couple of tablespoons of my Buffalo sauce.  They are pretty good, but a little too sweet for me.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
i pretty much stopped frying my wings, so much mess and cleanup.  I still slightly prefer fried, but i find baked to be almost perfect, a bit healthier and much easier to make.  i bake them on a rack in a sheet pan at 425-450 after some olive oil and S/P beforehand.  takes about 45 min to an hour, dependent on how crispy you want the skin.

then proceed with your prep.  i like fairly hot, but my gf does not.  so i often make different types of sauces - maple/Dijon/pepper, raspberry with Frank's etc.  if they're just for me, all bets are off.

actually making some wings tonight!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 04:24:05 pm »
http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/2/

My next wing experiment gochujang wings....

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Looks great. Pretty similar to my spicy Asian wing recipe. Love Korean food and gochujang. Beats Buffalo sauce any day IMO.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:16 pm »
I grilled Korean wings today, following this recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015017-korean-style-chicken-wings

I have to say, they were delicious.  My wife liked them a LOT more than my usual Buffalo wings.  The boatload of fresh garlic and ginger flavor is a big plus.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 08:44:16 am »
orange honey ginger

1/3 cup Orange Juice
1/2 cup Clove Honey
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
1 tsp powdered chipotle
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder

Boil down to a glaze, coat your boiled, fried wings.  Then bake off at 400F for 5 mins for that perfect sticky spicy sweet coating.

AHA Member