Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Light Struck  (Read 5682 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Light Struck
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »
Riboflavin is involved in the skunking mechanism. It is a product of fermentation.

Hey, a few years back I bottled in the garage, and some sun was shining in through the window in the pedestrian door. Not a lot of time or sun. The sheets said light struck. The control bottle confirmed it.

THIS^^^^^^^
I'll have to look that up. I know it didn't see light. I figured it was yeast related. How, I'll look that up, thanks. Jeff actually judged it in Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remebered getting one there. Sorry it was yours, seemed good othwise from what I recall.
It wasn't terrible, not a big deal. Finished at 37.5,  so not horrendous. If you don't want feedback, don't enter right?  I didn't pick that flavor up, and both of you did. I guess I need to learn more on that end to know what is wrong with my beers. Now to figure how to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:59 pm »
Could something have happening in handling/transit?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 05:25:12 pm »
About 5-6 years ago I got a double IPA through to the final round judging of NHC. Comments came back that it was skunked even though it never saw any light whatsoever. Brewed in a garage, fermented in a fridge, then kegged.
I am guessing that the judges were picking up on some catty aromas from the dank"ish" hops I used.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »
About 5-6 years ago I got a double IPA through to the final round judging of NHC. Comments came back that it was skunked even though it never saw any light whatsoever. Brewed in a garage, fermented in a fridge, then kegged.
I am guessing that the judges were picking up on some catty aromas from the dank"ish" hops I used.
Some will say this for sulfur perception. I like to think I have sulfur compounds categorized, and can tell skunk from cabbage from burnt match from rotten egg, from catty. Some can't.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:54 pm »
Much like sulfur, I find minor skunking can dissipate.  I've made a farty beer before (many years ago) where I recall telling my friends "pour it into your glass, then walk away for 5 minutes, then come back and enjoy".  Mercaptan compounds are of course volatile so it makes sense to me that in some cases you could do the same thing to a slightly skunked beer -- pour, walk away, come back and enjoy.  Or, just embrace the skunk.

I'm with Dave.  I've also had many cases where some very light skunkiness up front would dissipate, but it was always faint to begin with.  I find sulphury notes to dissipate quite often, while esters, oxidation, and phenolics tend to intensify over time. 

I always make it a point to revisit aroma after evaluating flavor and before recording overall impression to check out whether the aromas lingered, dissipated, or intensified.  I'll often add a note on what changed (or didn't).

<Hint to prospective BJCP examinees -  GRADERS LOVE TO SEE THIS ON AN EXAM (and on competition score sheets)>

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:12 am »
Much like sulfur, I find minor skunking can dissipate.  I've made a farty beer before (many years ago) where I recall telling my friends "pour it into your glass, then walk away for 5 minutes, then come back and enjoy".  Mercaptan compounds are of course volatile so it makes sense to me that in some cases you could do the same thing to a slightly skunked beer -- pour, walk away, come back and enjoy.  Or, just embrace the skunk.

I'm with Dave.  I've also had many cases where some very light skunkiness up front would dissipate, but it was always faint to begin with.  I find sulphury notes to dissipate quite often, while esters, oxidation, and phenolics tend to intensify over time. 

I always make it a point to revisit aroma after evaluating flavor and before recording overall impression to check out whether the aromas lingered, dissipated, or intensified.  I'll often add a note on what changed (or didn't).

<Hint to prospective BJCP examinees -  GRADERS LOVE TO SEE THIS ON AN EXAM (and on competition score sheets)>

I always revisit during the course of evaluating a beer in judging.  If nothing else, temperature alone can change things (or allow things to be perceived more readily).  My comments typically include "initial notes perceived", "later hints picked up as the sample warms", "final aromas presenting themselves late", etc...to me this is as important as low, medium and high perceptions.  it also tells the brewer that I wasn't giving it a mere "drive by" or "quicky" analysis.  A good judge told me once that competitions won't survive unless you give the brewers something for their money, even if they don't place an entry.  I still write explanatory comments on the NHC "check the box" form, also, for this reason.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »
How much protection does a brown bottle provide?  Could you leave a beer in the sun for hours in a brown bottle without getting the skunked taste?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 02:36:49 pm »
How much protection does a brown bottle provide?  Could you leave a beer in the sun for hours in a brown bottle without getting the skunked taste?

My experience says no, you couldn't.  Brown glass provides some protection, but there's a limit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »
Brown glass only protects partially from artificial light indoors.  Against strong sunlight, it doesn't stand a chance for very long.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
From my personal experience, a 20-minute or so sitting in full sun on the way home in the cab of my pickup resulted in noticeable skunking.

Carrying brown bottles from the shop to the truck/truck to inside in direct sun? No issues.

I think that's kinda the benefit of brown. It'll protect from skunking for the unavoidable parts of transit, but keep it in the shade.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52:58 am »
This is why whenever I drop off entries for a competition, I ALWAYS put them inside of a sealed box so no light can reach them. Sometimes those entries sit for awhile at those locations before being picked up.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:21 am »
From my personal experience, a 20-minute or so sitting in full sun on the way home in the cab of my pickup resulted in noticeable skunking.

Carrying brown bottles from the shop to the truck/truck to inside in direct sun? No issues.

I think that's kinda the benefit of brown. It'll protect from skunking for the unavoidable parts of transit, but keep it in the shade.

+1;  Same goes for a poured beer while hanging outside.  I get serious skunkiness by the end of the beer if it is bright outside! 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 12:19:47 pm »

+1;  Same goes for a poured beer while hanging outside.  I get serious skunkiness by the end of the beer if it is bright outside! 

Good point.  I use a shield around glasses and pitchers when served outside (a simple Koozie for the glass and a neoprene growler insulator for the pitchers.  Skunk free!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 05:10:59 pm »

I believe I read somewhere that the issue is blocking UV so no matter how dark the glass is some will still get through (behaves differently from visible light). 

Don't quote me on actually numbers, but I feel like I read somewhere that clear glass of course blocks 0%, green glass blocks 30ish% (maybe as high as 50?) and brown glass is like 90%.  That sounds like a lot, but as quickly as those oxidation reactions occur that 10% is gonna do some damage given enough exposure time.  So it slows the exposure for certain, but can't block it. 

What does block 100%... an aluminum can. (Yes, very difficult for homebrewers but part of the reason why so many craft brewers are switching to cans.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:52 pm »
What does block 100%... an aluminum can. (Yes, very difficult for homebrewers but part of the reason why so many craft brewers are switching to cans.

Which is a shame, because most canned craft beer is good and stale pretty fast. Even canned Sierra Nevada beers suffer from staling faster than the bottled versions.

I'm back to buying 100% bottles, only cans I buy are from European breweries.