Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fast Lager method?  (Read 12058 times)

Big Monk

Re: Fast Lager method?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 06:58:11 pm »
Good to see things back to normal around here...  ???

If you mean sarcastic belly-aching and emojis from the natives then yes.

You nailed it! Just an observation from an outsider.

The Beerery

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:10 am »
I got sidetracked and forgot to post this:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/cold-fermentation-practices/

It's a good explanation of the hows and whys.

Offline bbt95762

• 1st Kit
  • bbt95762
    • In Search of Better Homebrew
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:18 am »
Thanks Beerery, can't wait to try it.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »
When pitching a healthy amount of fresh and active yeast, diacetyl is not a thing( I mean it IS a thing but the yeast naturally take care of it). 

The traditional cold fermentation profile taught in professional German brewing is that you start at 45f and once you reach 40% extract remaining you LOWER temp so that you reach FG at lagering temps.  Even the warm ferment never gets above low 50's. 

This "accelerated" profile that is preached here is actually wrong, this profile originally taught by Nariß, states that in order to use this accelerated profile you need to be using large CCV's (cylindrical conical vessels, conicals for short) and that hydrostatic pressures and/or fermenting under co2 pressure play a role on ester production (or lack there of). I know this because I translated the 600 page book to English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can it be wrong if it works?

Works to produce ale and bland tasting lagers with lager yeast, AKA american lagers...sure. Continental lagers...uhh no.. Bread yeast also "works" to ferment sugar, but I don't see that called for in your BVIP recipe. That argument falls on deaf ears here.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
honestly beerery, I've tried the fast lager method and don't like the results either.

The Beerery

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
honestly beerery, I've tried the fast lager method and don't like the results either.

Well I would argue I loved the results, until I tried the low oxygen stuff. Then like the IPA thread here. Pooof malt be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk