Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sorachi ace in saison  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
sorachi ace in saison
« on: June 09, 2017, 11:26:20 am »
Any recommendations for a hop schedule for SA in a Saison? It seems to be a love/hate kind of hop. Planning a possibly busy beer and not sure if I should muddy the waters further with this or not. I just picked up a couple of ounces and thought they might work well toward the end of the boil.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: sorachi ace in saison
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:00 am »
Any recommendations for a hop schedule for SA in a Saison? It seems to be a love/hate kind of hop. Planning a possibly busy beer and not sure if I should muddy the waters further with this or not. I just picked up a couple of ounces and thought they might work well toward the end of the boil.

I just steeped 2 oz of Lemon Drop in my saison for 15 minutes/175F. Doesn't come off as 'hoppy', just an accent to the yeast character IMO. Worked well.

Edit - Also used 28 IBU Hallertau for 60.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:08 am »

I just steeped 2 oz of Lemon Drop in my saison for 15 minutes/175F. Doesn't come off as 'hoppy', just an accent to the yeast character IMO. Worked well.

Cool. So you think I could use Sorachi Ace similarly? Everything I hear is how powerful it can be.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:34:11 am »

Cool. So you think I could use Sorachi Ace similarly? Everything I hear is how powerful it can be.

Absolutely, I've done it. It works really well in saison IMO. Obviously helps enhance the lemony character. It's somewhat assertive, but not Citra or Ekuanot assertive by a long shot.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:33 am »

Absolutely, I've done it. It works really well in saison IMO. Obviously helps enhance the lemony character. It's somewhat assertive, but not Citra or Ekuanot assertive by a long shot.

Awesome thanks. The wheels are turning.

This may be a lemon basil saison. I brewed one last year that fell kind of short because of fear of overdoing it.

Ginger and Sorachi are in the running as additional ingredients but don't want to go overboard. Sometimes ideas like this work for me, sometimes not. Maybe I will go with ginger or sorachi but not both.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »
IMO the whole sorachi ace being overly assertive/overpowering thing is overblown. Its definitely a distinctively lemony and unique tasting hop, but its not nearly assertive as some of the New Zealand/Australian fruit bombs out there.

I'm almost at the end of a pound I bought about 10 months ago, used mostly in Saison/farmhouse/mixed ferment style beers and I really like it.

Offline Omar

• 1st Kit
  • Fermenting since June 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:17:42 pm »
I've used Sorachi Ace once in a SMaSH Saison. 1 oz as FWH, that's all. I liked how it turned out...very prominent lemony hop character. Other tasters found it a bit "too much" though. Wish I had more conclusive results to share!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:31:17 pm »
Saison is pretty much the only place I see sorachi ace used. I don't hate it enough to run away from it but don't like it enough to seek it out.

A more gentle lemony hop that lacks the kinda weird dill character is Aramis. It's like a lemony saaz. I really like it in saisons. I like it a lot blended with cascade and aurora.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
IMO the whole sorachi ace being overly assertive/overpowering thing is overblown. Its definitely a distinctively lemony and unique tasting hop, but its not nearly assertive as some of the New Zealand/Australian fruit bombs out there.

I'm almost at the end of a pound I bought about 10 months ago, used mostly in Saison/farmhouse/mixed ferment style beers and I really like it.
I would like to see your SA saison recipe if you're willing to share. I'm headed into brewing this new style for myself over the summer. With a pound of SA in my freezer this could be the beginning of something refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »
Saison is pretty much the only place I see sorachi ace used. I don't hate it enough to run away from it but don't like it enough to seek it out.

A more gentle lemony hop that lacks the kinda weird dill character is Aramis. It's like a lemony saaz. I really like it in saisons. I like it a lot blended with cascade and aurora.

Thanks for all the info. I picked up a couple of ounces for $1 so I thought I might as well give it a shot. Lemony saaz of aramis sounds awesome!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »

I haven't tried Aramis, need to. You should give Lemon Drop a shot in a saison, too. Also works well in APA with a variety of hops, too.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »

I would like to see your SA saison recipe if you're willing to share. I'm headed into brewing this new style for myself over the summer. With a pound of SA in my freezer this could be the beginning of something refreshing.

70% continental pilsner and 30% domestic pale malt, yellow bitter Bru'n water profile with a mash ph of 5.3 adjusted with lactic acid. OG 1.048, FG 1.004 IBUs about 25. Imperial rustic yeast fermented at 75 degres the first 3 days and bumped to 80 for 5 more. Usually use magnum as a bittering hop, I've used up to 2 ounces at 5 minutes and  2 ounces dry hopped and like the results.

Offline Stepp2

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 03:01:08 pm »
Muchas gracias amigo. This will be happening very soon.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »
cheers. Let us know how it turns out.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 04:10:34 pm »
Brooklyn makes one that is called Sorachi.......original aye.
Jeff B