Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to Start Brewing Regularly  (Read 22093 times)

Big Monk

Re: About to Start Brewing Regularly
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2017, 05:35:09 pm »
I was looking into it and it looks like it's not too hard to get Alcohol Licenses. There was some law or something that was meant to cut down on paperwork, so now it's only 2 pages to get your liquor license, and you can even apply for multiple licenses at once for multiple locations.

So, here are the Licenses I would be interested in getting in descending order of importance to what I am doing.

Liquor License
https://www.ttb.gov/forms/f56305d.pdf

Importer's License
https://www.ttb.gov/forms/f510024.pdf

Distilling License
https://www.ttb.gov/ponl/permits-online-required-documents.shtml

And if you look at the first one, the Liquor License, the Retail alcohol sales license. It looks like they might just do a background check and maybe an address check to make sure that you are zoned for retail or something. But the only license that asks for something like a "Blue-print of your location" is the Distilling License, it seems like the retail license is really easy to get. And why wouldn't it be? They always say "If it were easy, everyone would do it" and basically everyone gets a liquor license (Restaurants, etc). And they don't want to make it hard for everyone, which makes sense.

Should probably head this off right now that if you plan on selling any of this beer, wine, or distillate you need a manufacturing license in addition to any retail licensing. You can't just make this stuff and apply for a retail license.

The first batch won't be for sale. I want to do a few test runs first. I was just looking into it and saw that it doesn't look like there is much to it, so I thought I might do it.

I can't tell if your messing with us or not.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:19 pm »
I was looking into it and it looks like it's not too hard to get Alcohol Licenses. There was some law or something that was meant to cut down on paperwork, so now it's only 2 pages to get your liquor license, and you can even apply for multiple licenses at once for multiple locations.

So, here are the Licenses I would be interested in getting in descending order of importance to what I am doing.

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

And if you look at the first one, the Liquor License, the Retail alcohol sales license. It looks like they might just do a background check and maybe an address check to make sure that you are zoned for retail or something. But the only license that asks for something like a "Blue-print of your location" is the Distilling License, it seems like the retail license is really easy to get. And why wouldn't it be? They always say "If it were easy, everyone would do it" and basically everyone gets a liquor license (Restaurants, etc). And they don't want to make it hard for everyone, which makes sense.

Should probably head this off right now that if you plan on selling any of this beer, wine, or distillate you need a manufacturing license in addition to any retail licensing. You can't just make this stuff and apply for a retail license.

The first batch won't be for sale. I want to do a few test runs first. I was just looking into it and saw that it doesn't look like there is much to it, so I thought I might do it.

I'm not. Watch, about 2 weeks from now I might already have pictures of the containers. We are moving in the next few days, and I will order everything within the next few days after that.

Big Monk

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2017, 06:00:38 pm »

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

I'm not. Watch, about 2 weeks from now I might already have pictures of the containers. We are moving in the next few days, and I will order everything within the next few days after that.

Right...

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

Right...

Lol. I have been planning on doing this for a while. I just came here to figure out exactly what I wanted to make, and what all I was going to use. And I didn't know there were so many kinds of Yeast, so now I know that I am going to use the WS Yeast, which is probably going to actually make some pretty good Cider. So I mean, you can think that I am not going to do it, but I only came here to learn a little bit more before I started making larger batches, and to organize everything so that I can go back to it as I finish batches, and just go down the list. For example, I can make Cider/Cider Champagne and Distiller's Yeast Wine, and Banana Wine/Beer/Champagne, then Mead or Perry or Rice Wine, or all three. Then Beer.

I wasn't expecting so many people to look at this thread so soon. I was just putting things here for myself and maybe people in the future, then a bunch of people came. I will be making things soon though, we are getting a house rather than an apartment or condo or something just so we can start making our own stuff.

Big Monk

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 06:07:18 pm »

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

Right...

Lol. I have been planning on doing this for a while. I just came here to figure out exactly what I wanted to make, and what all I was going to use. And I didn't know there were so many kinds of Yeast, so now I know that I am going to use the WS Yeast, which is probably going to actually make some pretty good Cider. So I mean, you can think that I am not going to do it, but I only came here to learn a little bit more before I started making larger batches, and to organize everything so that I can go back to it as I finish batches, and just go down the list. For example, I can make Cider/Cider Champagne and Distiller's Yeast Wine, and Banana Wine/Beer/Champagne, then Mead or Perry or Rice Wine, or all three. Then Beer.

I wasn't expecting so many people to look at this thread so soon. I was just putting things here for myself and maybe people in the future, then a bunch of people came. I will be making things soon though, we are getting a house rather than an apartment or condo or something just so we can start making our own stuff.

Have you ever brewed before?

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 06:12:22 pm »

Have you ever brewed before?

Yes, I have brewed before. I have a 1 Gallon Carboy, and I have also just used a Tampico Bottle, both with Airlock bubblers. In the Tampico Bottle I just used Sugar and Distiller's Yeast and Cinnamon, and I did it maybe 3 times, but that was just Sugar and Cinnamon. The first time I used the Carboy I just used Sugar and Water and Distiller's Yeast. The Second time I used Raisins and Sugar. The third time I used Pears. And the fourth time I used Pineapples. And I used Cinnamon or Lemon Grass every time with the Carboy.

But this will be the first time that I am going to do anything over 1 Gallon, and everything else was just "Wine", it wasn't anything specific. I am going to start making specific things now that I am making larger batches.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:12 pm »
I also have a still. It is for extracting things from herbs with Fractal Distillation, but I already have that too. I don't plan on distilling anything, just saying, it's not like I haven't ever done anything like this before and it's not like I don't actually plan on doing it.

Big Monk

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:23 pm »
Cool. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 06:23:23 pm »
And I think when I try making bear, I might start with Saison, maybe with Bananas added. Then maybe the Banana Bread or Bananas Foster recipe, or a mix of the 2. But I'm not sure, I'll just see what happens with the other big batches first.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »
And I'm wondering if the 12% ABV Trappist Yeast is meant for beer, because a 12% Beer that has fruity Trappist Esters would probably be good. But that might be meant for Wine, not sure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2017, 09:08:20 am »
So are you looking to make a business out of all this stuff you plan on making?

Not like a full blown business, but I do eventually want to sell like packs and cases, and rent out Kegs of stuff I make and everything. But I don't want to like Brew 500 Gallons at a time or anything.

That's close enough to a business that you're going to need licensing and legal advice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2017, 09:55:12 am »
So are you looking to make a business out of all this stuff you plan on making?

Not like a full blown business, but I do eventually want to sell like packs and cases, and rent out Kegs of stuff I make and everything. But I don't want to like Brew 500 Gallons at a time or anything.

That's close enough to a business that you're going to need licensing and legal advice.

I will get a license, I was already asking people about what license I would need for Cider here:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29783.15

And someone told me that for Cider I would need a Wine license. Then with the Importer's License, what I am thinking of doing is getting in contact with some people in Armenia and importing Wine from there. They have Apricot and Pomegranate Wine and everything, and they have been doing it for like 4,000 years.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2017, 09:57:04 am »
Also, random:

I just went up to UPS to check my PO box, and I ordered a bunch of seeds for different plants a little over a month ago, but I totally forgot that I had ordered Hops seeds. So I have some Hops seeds. I have seeds for a ton of other plants, but I have Hops seeds now too.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:56 am »
Also, random:

I just went up to UPS to check my PO box, and I ordered a bunch of seeds for different plants a little over a month ago, but I totally forgot that I had ordered Hops seeds. So I have some Hops seeds. I have seeds for a ton of other plants, but I have Hops seeds now too.

Are you starting a farm too?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2017, 10:17:29 am »
Also, random:

You do not want hop seeds.  You want hop rhizomes. Hop seeds will produce male plants which are worse than useless.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell