Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to Start Brewing Regularly  (Read 22092 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: About to Start Brewing Regularly
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:50 pm »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 11:06:55 pm »
I saw you mention bubble bags a few times. Are you referring to the nylon bags used in the making of cold bubble hash? That might be overkill compared to the sieves in the ChefSteps video, but I'd say worth a shot if you have them already.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 11:13:21 pm »
Good Alternative to Distiller's Yeast, 18% ABV
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-ferm-ws-2

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:54 pm »
I saw you mention bubble bags a few times. Are you referring to the nylon bags used in the making of cold bubble hash? That might be overkill compared to the sieves in the ChefSteps video, but I'd say worth a shot if you have them already.

Yeah, I am in Colorado so I have some already. And they are like $18 for 6 different grades or something like that. So I am just going to put them all on there and then just see which one takes all the solids out last, and then just use that one from then on.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:58 pm »
I'm not sure how much comes in this bag, but here is that Cider Yeast. 4766.
https://brewmastercanada.com/collections/brewing-ingredients/products/wyeast-cider-4766
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/cider-yeast-wyeast-4766

This might be good too, just for how much of it there is. And 16% ABV.
http://www.homebrewing.org/500-g-Fermentis-SafCider-Yeast_p_6003.html

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 11:45:15 pm »
Since there aren't really any very detailed Banana Beer recipes I am going to be doing a few things ad hoc and basically just assume that Banana Beer is basically Banana Cider, made with the Banana Juice with the starches and everything broken down by Amylase Enzyme. Then I will use Cider Yeast, and Champagne Yeast to make it.

I'll start with a 6 Gallon Container, because I assume that Juicing Bananas is going to just make very little Juice.

There are 2 Recipes for Banana Beer online, but both were created like mine, ad hoc. One was by a guy that was with Green Peace or something in West Africa and his neighbor gave him a ton of Bananas, so he made bread and then decided to make Beer. But his was so ad hoc that his Airlock was a Condom with a hole in it. Then the other recipe was just made by the person and he didn't explain how he Juiced the Bananas, so I found the Amylase Juicing video and decided I am going to use that method with the Bubble Bags. Then I will use a 6 Gallon Carboy. And no one says what Yeast they used, I assume both people just used whatever yeast they had. So I will probably be using a better Yeast, since I will be using Yeast meant for fruit. I am also not sure what ABV they got. And there are a few companies that make it, most of them in West Africa, the only company the exports is in the Netherlands, but I there are no recipes online for their products.

So this thread, or the Banana Beer thread specifically whenever I am actually doing it, may end up being the best recipe online.

There are those 2 recipes also, 1 here 1 on another site, for Banana Bread Beer and Bananas Foster Beer, but those are both regular Grain based Beers with Bananas added. So, while they both are detailed recipes, they are more of a regular Beer and not just a Banana Beer. I assume Banana Beer is more like Banana Cider, or Pear Cider/Perry, it's just called Banana Beer instead. So that is the plan for Banana Beer, and I might get a Banana Yeast and then make a batch with both Bananas and Banana Yeast. But for the first batch, I am just going to treat it like I am making Cider.

I will also add Sugar, and maybe Brown Sugar.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:48:29 pm by Sasha »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 11:46:03 pm »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:13 am »
And I am thinking that maybe I will use the Bubble Bags at the end instead.

I was thinking about it, and I don't want to always have to use a whole container just for Juicing, then transfer it, because that is opening up the opportunity for it to spoil or get some kind of bacteria in it. So what I am going to do instead with the Bubble Bags is use them at the end. I will put maybe 3-5 Gallons of Mashed Banana with Water and Sugar and Amylase Enzyme added to make 5-5.5 Gallons. Then at the end during Siphoning I will use the Bubble Bags, and I will maybe Siphon off into a 5 Gallon Bucket, then from there Siphon into bottles. And I will do that with everything I make, just to make sure that there are no floaties.

Bubble Bags could end up being the perfect tool in the Homebrewing Community to keep floaties out of everything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:03:59 am by Sasha »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:51 am »
I was looking into it and it looks like it's not too hard to get Alcohol Licenses. There was some law or something that was meant to cut down on paperwork, so now it's only 2 pages to get your liquor license, and you can even apply for multiple licenses at once for multiple locations.

So, here are the Licenses I would be interested in getting in descending order of importance to what I am doing.

Liquor License
https://www.ttb.gov/forms/f56305d.pdf

Importer's License
https://www.ttb.gov/forms/f510024.pdf

Distilling License
https://www.ttb.gov/ponl/permits-online-required-documents.shtml

And if you look at the first one, the Liquor License, the Retail alcohol sales license. It looks like they might just do a background check and maybe an address check to make sure that you are zoned for retail or something. But the only license that asks for something like a "Blue-print of your location" is the Distilling License, it seems like the retail license is really easy to get. And why wouldn't it be? They always say "If it were easy, everyone would do it" and basically everyone gets a liquor license (Restaurants, etc). And they don't want to make it hard for everyone, which makes sense.

Big Monk

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2017, 07:28:17 am »
So are you looking to make a business out of all this stuff you plan on making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 08:12:22 am »
I wouldn't think there is much of a market or desire for banana sorghum 'beer' if you are thinking about a business.  Even less a market for banana wine.  However if this is something you want to brew for yourself I wish you the best of luck.  I hope you enjoy your research center you have created in this thread.  Eventually you will get your hands dirty and may have something valuable to discuss.  Until then I wish you luck and success 'brewing' and pitching yeast on fermentable juice.  Most of us try to add something to the forum, and create a community of like brewers at different levels of expertise. Not drag every internet link you find interesting to a thread.  I would think you could pull that off with notepad on your desktop, but hey who am I.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 08:45:00 am »
I was looking into it and it looks like it's not too hard to get Alcohol Licenses. There was some law or something that was meant to cut down on paperwork, so now it's only 2 pages to get your liquor license, and you can even apply for multiple licenses at once for multiple locations.

So, here are the Licenses I would be interested in getting in descending order of importance to what I am doing.

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

And if you look at the first one, the Liquor License, the Retail alcohol sales license. It looks like they might just do a background check and maybe an address check to make sure that you are zoned for retail or something. But the only license that asks for something like a "Blue-print of your location" is the Distilling License, it seems like the retail license is really easy to get. And why wouldn't it be? They always say "If it were easy, everyone would do it" and basically everyone gets a liquor license (Restaurants, etc). And they don't want to make it hard for everyone, which makes sense.

Should probably head this off right now that if you plan on selling any of this beer, wine, or distillate you need a manufacturing license in addition to any retail licensing. You can't just make this stuff and apply for a retail license.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
So are you looking to make a business out of all this stuff you plan on making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not like a full blown business, but I do eventually want to sell like packs and cases, and rent out Kegs of stuff I make and everything. But I don't want to like Brew 500 Gallons at a time or anything.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »
I wouldn't think there is much of a market or desire for banana sorghum 'beer' if you are thinking about a business.  Even less a market for banana wine.  However if this is something you want to brew for yourself I wish you the best of luck.  I hope you enjoy your research center you have created in this thread.  Eventually you will get your hands dirty and may have something valuable to discuss.  Until then I wish you luck and success 'brewing' and pitching yeast on fermentable juice.  Most of us try to add something to the forum, and create a community of like brewers at different levels of expertise. Not drag every internet link you find interesting to a thread.  I would think you could pull that off with notepad on your desktop, but hey who am I.

I'm not going to do the Sorghum one. I am going to use the WS, which brings out the fruity flavor. Then I will also use a Banana Yeast Strain, and do both 6 Gallon.

And I wasn't planning on doing the Banana stuff large scale, that is too expensive. I am going to do Cider and Cider Champagne, and Sangria, etc. And eventually I will find an Apple and grow clones and everything. But I won't probably do Banana Beer or any Banana stuff on a large scale, it would cost too much. Unless I find some Bananas B2B or something.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:12:27 pm by Sasha »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 05:13:56 pm »

Liquor License

Importer's License

Distilling License

Should probably head this off right now that if you plan on selling any of this beer, wine, or distillate you need a manufacturing license in addition to any retail licensing. You can't just make this stuff and apply for a retail license.

The first batch won't be for sale. I want to do a few test runs first. I was just looking into it and saw that it doesn't look like there is much to it, so I thought I might do it.