Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Since we're talking books....  (Read 4736 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Since we're talking books....
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »
I just have to say I've really been into James Patterson, lately. The Alex Cross series, namely. What a great series! Been having a lot of time to read lately, in airports, and on planes. Right now I am in the middle of Four Blind Mice. I think the best so far though, is Double Cross.
  I should also mention Nelson DeMille. Anything of his with John Corey is great! The Lion's Game was one of the best books I've read yet (right up there with any of them in The Lonesome Dove series) The Lion just came out, and I can't wait to read it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled beer forum.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Since we're talking books....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:56:59 am »

I should also mention Nelson DeMille. Anything of his with John Corey is great! The Lion's Game was one of the best books I've read yet (right up there with any of them in The Lonesome Dove series) The Lion just came out, and I can't wait to read it.

Yeah, those are entertaining.  Didn't realize there was a new one out.  I'll be getting that soon!
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:46 am »
Yeah, those are entertaining.  Didn't realize there was a new one out.  I'll be getting that soon!

Be sure you've read "The Lion's Game", before tyou read "The Lion".

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:21 am »
I've read all of the John Corey books so far.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:24 am »
My wife has been reading James Patterson lately, she describes them as roughly equivalent to a CSI type TV show or crime drama movie.

I however am still stuck on the more obscure Wodehouse stuff.  Just finished up "Uncle Fred in Springtime" and "A Few Quick Ones" nearly done.

Offline bartzbrau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:23:04 pm »
Wodehouse's Wooster & Jeeves stories are hilarious.  You can get some of them thru PBS, as the BBC did an adaptation back in the 80's.  Wooster is played by the guy who now stars as Dr. House.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:12:00 pm »
Fry and Laurie (as Jeeves, and B. Wooster, respectively) did do the best screen adaptations, definitely.  I think those were done not for the BBC but for some other network, whose name escapes me...ah well.  Masterful though...the empty-headed but likable twit was played perfectly by Hugh Laurie, and in general the whole thing was superbly pieced together, shot, and scored.  Got the whole set on DVD.  A lot of excellent supporting actors/characters, as well.

The only disadvantage to the video series is that the internal monologue of Bertie's narration must be abandoned, which leaves out a not insubstantial source of humor. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
Wodehouse's Wooster & Jeeves stories are hilarious. 

Did someone say hilarious? I love hilarious! Just might have to check this out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:57:29 am »
It's hard to beat Wodehouse for dry British humor with a slapstick side to it.  I own the DVD set of Wooster and Jeeves (Stephen Fry as Jeeves is too much!) and find myself watching it over and over again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:22:01 am »
Yeah, its not really "hilarious" at least in the typical American sense.  But quite amusing...he wrote 90 books, so as one might expect there are occasional plot recyclings, but I rather enjoy the stereotypes that arise.  The Aunts, of course, representing the powerful ruling elite, both in the Jeeves line and in the Blandings castle series, to which I've more recently become addicted.  The Psmith series is one of my favorites...Psmith himself is like an early prototype fusing both Jeeves and Bertie, a bit...the calm, well-spoken intellect of Jeeves with the social butterfly, suave boulevardier aspects of Bertie.

Offline hoptomation

• 1st Kit
  • NW Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:47:09 am »
Last year I was looking for something a little different so I tried Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy and Blood Meridian.  All four of them get a little slow at times but that is fitting for their western style.  In the end I found them all very enjoyable.
Cheers - Luke

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:25 am »
I read "The Road" last year and man did I need to read something lightweight, fluffy and fun after that.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:40 pm »
You want lightweight, fluffy and fun summer reading?  Try some of Kinky Freidman's detective books!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:03 pm »
After reading Ted Bell I just couldn't get into Patterson for some reason. I wonder if that works the other way around. If you're ever in Boise, I have the first three books from the Hawke series you can borrow. You can also drink some beer if you want. :)

Offline hoptomation

• 1st Kit
  • NW Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
I read "The Road" last year and man did I need to read something lightweight, fluffy and fun after that.

"The Road" is a good read, but definitely does not give you warm fuzzies.
Cheers - Luke