Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: $8000 for a Lowenbrau???  (Read 9894 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: $8000 for a Lowenbrau???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
Its gotta be skunked, I know I know its a brown bottle but that was a pretty big flame

Some people got more money than brains.
I'd like to give it a shot that way for a while though
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

brewboy

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:01:38 pm »
Stupid is as stupid does.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:43 pm »
I could get the same one if I used my time machine. :D

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 04:45:14 am »
It will be the most expensive beer in the world until .....

Allsopp's Arctic Ale, the large one is from Sir Edward Belcher's 1852 expedition, the smaller one is from Dr. Elisa Kane's expedition in 1875 , both full with the orignal seal and corks

Brewing up history

boulderbrewer

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:25 am »
Yours?

Nice piece of brewing History.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:59:18 am »
No kidding!  I had a Ballantine Burton ale from 1931 a few years back, but that doesn't hold a candle to those!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 07:48:22 pm »
It was sold for ONLY $18.034.
Great steal if you ask me!
http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/hindenburg-beer-auctioned-for-10000/
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:02:14 am »
No kidding!  I had a Ballantine Burton ale from 1931 a few years back, but that doesn't hold a candle to those!

Did you get to enjoy it's contents ?

Regarding the OP, I think it's remarkable that a bottle survived that shower of fire. Here' the footage in color:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSuR2IgnimA&feature=related
Brewing up history

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:33 am »

Well, we got to sample the contents...enjoy may be a bit strong.  There were about 8 of us tasting.  We decanted it into a pitcher and spent about an hour sniffing the evolving aroma and taking notes.  It was pretty spectacular. When we finally tasted it, it tasted a lot like watered down scotch.  Interesting, but no one shouted "wotta great beer!"  One of the tasters was a microbiologist and he tried valiantly to culture the yeast, but no luck.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »

Well, we got to sample the contents...enjoy may be a bit strong.  There were about 8 of us tasting.  We decanted it into a pitcher and spent about an hour sniffing the evolving aroma and taking notes.  It was pretty spectacular. When we finally tasted it, it tasted a lot like watered down scotch.  Interesting, but no one shouted "wotta great beer!"  One of the tasters was a microbiologist and he tried valiantly to culture the yeast, but no luck.

Interesting, and that jibes with others' experience with the 1930's brewing of Ballantine Burton.  If you see one of these and can get it cheap, grab it as a mantle-piece  decoration or paperweight, but not for a taste revelation.

On the other hand, well handled samples of the 1946 brewing (bottled beginning in 1954 and from what I have been able to research, ending in 1966) believe it or not still can yield a remarkable sensory and tasting experience...loads of hop character and aroma, a hefty hint of the oak it was aged in, along with the expected sherry notes.   Having acquired  six  of these for my research, I can say that the first indicator of whether the contents are remotely drinkable lie in the amount of apparent evaporation of the volume in the bottle, and whether the beer drops bright in the bottle after a few months undisturbed (all were quite turbid when I received them).

Being a very strong, very highly hopped beer, the Burton still has something to offer for sensory analysis;  it's brewing history, it's still alive to a degree,  and definitely worth experiencing if you are lucky enough to obtain a well handled one.
That pricey Hindenburg Lowenbrau, on the other hand,  goes into a museum case or on the aforementioned mantle.  It is more relevant to aviation history.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

boulderbrewer

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
Any idea of the yeast viablility on the 1946 brewings?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »
Any idea of the yeast viablility on the 1946 brewings?

At the moment, no.
However  the next bottle I open for evaluation will be one from was was (as far as I know) the last bottling (brewed '46 with the yearly top-ups, until bottling in '66) and I am going to be careful with handling, so I can try and see if it's possible to get some yeast going from the dregs. 
The yeast they used for the ferment was, of course, BRY96 (aka 1056, 001) though it would be interesting to see what characteristics are to be had from something cultured up from 43 year old bottle dregs !  Given the nature of these remnants, I will  enlist the help of a biologist friend who has offered to help out...she has indicated that using various media for multiple cultures may increase the chances of retrieving something. 

As they used to say on TV, "film at eleven"     ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

boulderbrewer

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:19 pm »
Keep us updated.