Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail  (Read 6026 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »
This is an alert to all you Bru'n Water users that have upgraded to the Supporter's version or are thinking about it. If you use Gmail to communicate with either Paypal or Bru'n Water, any reply that is set to your Gmail account with the Bru'n Water program, WILL BE PLACED IN YOUR SPAM FOLDER.

That really shouldn't be a big deal, but Gmail comes with the label for your Spam folder TURNED OFF. You won't know when you recieve any spam. For most of us, that might be a good thing. But for those that want the Bru'n Water communications, you're out of luck.

The fix is easy:

1. Click on the 'Gear' symbol at the top right of your Gmail console
2. Click on 'Settings'
3. Click on the 'Label' tab at the top of Settings page
4. Set either the 'Spam' or 'All Mail' labels to SHOW, instead of HIDE
5. You're done.
6. You should see that there is now an extra directory on the side of your Gmail console.
7. When Gmail marks some Spam, you'll immediately see it in your Spam folder and you can decide if its something you want...like Bru'n Water.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:06:10 pm »
If it does go to your spam folder, you can tell the client it's "Not Spam" and (in theory, at least) the system should learn and remember it is a valid sender.

I can't prove it works but that's how it should.  I hope this helps.

Paul

Disclaimers: I do not work, promote or champion anything Google.  I just use their tools to the best of my ability and then rage at the machine when I fail.  Like everyone else.   :-\
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:19:36 pm »
All I want for Christmas is a web based brun water app

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:29:36 pm »
+1
Downloaded it once, tried to open it in Excel app, won't run, decided maybe brewing gods are smiling on my never having used software.  But I'd give it a try!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:03:35 pm »

Martin made it mobile friendly a while back so it will run on Excel for iPad or any other device that runs the mobile Excel.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:04:03 pm »
This is an alert to all you Bru'n Water users that have upgraded to the Supporter's version or are thinking about it. If you use Gmail to communicate with either Paypal or Bru'n Water, any reply that is set to your Gmail account with the Bru'n Water program, WILL BE PLACED IN YOUR SPAM FOLDER.

That really shouldn't be a big deal, but Gmail comes with the label for your Spam folder TURNED OFF. You won't know when you recieve any spam. For most of us, that might be a good thing. But for those that want the Bru'n Water communications, you're out of luck.

The fix is easy:

1. Click on the 'Gear' symbol at the top right of your Gmail console
2. Click on 'Settings'
3. Click on the 'Label' tab at the top of Settings page
4. Set either the 'Spam' or 'All Mail' labels to SHOW, instead of HIDE
5. You're done.
6. You should see that there is now an extra directory on the side of your Gmail console.
7. When Gmail marks some Spam, you'll immediately see it in your Spam folder and you can decide if its something you want...like Bru'n Water.
I upgraded to supporter version in Jan 2016. I got an email with a copy of the spreadsheet immediately after.

Since then, I haven’t heard a peep. What email address do these updates come from?

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:15:10 pm »

Martin made it mobile friendly a while back so it will run on Excel for iPad or any other device that runs the mobile Excel.
Really? Is that just the supporter version? I just tried the free version again and it's "read only" on latest Excel on my Galaxy.  Maybe I'm missing something.
EDIT Hang on, might have found what I was missing.  Kind of squirrelly but it might be workable. Will report back.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:29:37 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 08:00:14 pm »
^^^^
Found the problem, it runs!  (It's an old format, you can only make changes in a COPY, the file you download is read only.) Total SOB on a phone, but I can see it's worth it.  Now I know it will be somewhat navigable, I'll be signing up for the supporter version and watching my spam!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:04:28 pm »
Does it do recipes or just water?

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 08:16:27 pm »
Does it do recipes or just water?
You input your water report, grain bill, proposed mineral and acid additions, volumes etc and it gives a pH. (Also estimated color, whatever but I wouldn't say it does "recipes.")   I checked it by entering my last couple of batches info, and the pH it gave was what I actually had in my notes.  I guess the supporter version makes it easier to save stuff or set defaults, but it seems to work like a charm for planning a water treatment.  It doesn't tell you what do so much as let you try out plans and see what gets you the pH you want.  This assesment based on the less than half hour I've actually had it running.  Like I said, Jim, it's a thumb twister on a phone, but all the features are there.  So us PC free guys can still benefit from Martin's wisdom.  And pester him less on the forum?  Nah, we need him for more than numbers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:32:00 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:05 pm »
^^^Update
Just worked up treatment for a GPils for this weekend.  Okay I'm now totally onboard with the Bru'n Water!  Even on a Galaxy it isn't that hard to navigate, and I've quickly got the hang of it. I'll be darned close to spot on the Jever boiled profile, with very simple additions of gypsum and CaCl2 and a tiny bit of acid in mash, predicts pH 5.44 (exactly where I want it), can't wait to brew this.  Tried running a couple of other recipes by it and was surprised at both how close and how far off my instincts and experience would have got me.  Sent contribution, watching my spam folder, if supporter version is even better than free I'll be very happy.  Only took me ~29 years, but software is now part of my brewing outfit!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 02:48:51 pm »
^^^Update
Just worked up treatment for a GPils for this weekend.  Okay I'm now totally onboard with the Bru'n Water!  Even on a Galaxy it isn't that hard to navigate, and I've quickly got the hang of it. I'll be darned close to spot on the Jever boiled profile, with very simple additions of gypsum and CaCl2 and a tiny bit of acid in mash, predicts pH 5.44 (exactly where I want it), can't wait to brew this.  Tried running a couple of other recipes by it and was surprised at both how close and how far off my instincts and experience would have got me.  Sent contribution, watching my spam folder, if supporter version is even better than free I'll be very happy.  Only took me ~29 years, but software is now part of my brewing outfit!

Boiled Jever is what I use for my G pils and it suits my tastes to a T.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

Bru'n Water files blocked by Gmail
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:59 pm »
How do you get version updates if you are a supporter? Pay again?

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 03:09:05 pm »
If you are a supporter and don't have version 4.2, you probably missed your upgraded file via Gmail's overactive spam filter and insufficient notifications. You'll need to send me an email with your name and the email address you donated under, and I'll send another copy.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:17:02 pm »
^^^Update

Boiled Jever is what I use for my G pils and it suits my tastes to a T.
Denny, do you match every parameter on boiled Jever?  I plan to just match Ca, SO4 and Cl, leaving 0 Mg and Na, I figure those are negligible anyway and not of great impact.  Think that'll do me?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio