Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Mash  (Read 18328 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Double Mash
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:11 pm »
It was 40g Magnum FWH then 30g EKG and 30g Fuggles at 10. I just added 30g Challenger with 60 min to go. So around 120/66 GU/BU

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:46 pm »
Final results, 6.25 gallons of 1.110
With what I had left in hoses and kettle dead space, about 65% brewhouse

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:38:44 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »
[Applause] Good show!

So I read crazy stuff in London and Country Brewer
or whatever and think, yeah, they had no hydrometer, no way of knowing what they were really doing, that probably doesn't really work so well.  I love being wrong!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
I'd say it's pretty darn effective. I see a crazy Barleywine in my future with a triple mash, just to see where the sound barrier is lol. It's got to bebout there somewhere. 1.110 is as high as i have gone. I thought the hydrometer was going to shoot back out of the sample.

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:53 pm »
I'd say it's pretty darn effective. I see a crazy Barleywine in my future with a triple mash, just to see where the sound barrier is lol. It's got to bebout there somewhere. 1.110 is as high as i have gone. I thought the hydrometer was going to shoot back out of the sample.
Pretty darned effective, and that reminds me the difference between "effective" and "efficient" and you don't always want the latter!  I did a quick estimate that you could have got the same result from 16 lbs of malt at my normal efficiency, but you'd need a 1 bbl  system and like a 6 hour boil!  (Or something like that.) I'll keep this in mind for a Doppelbock maybe...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:11 pm »
6hr boil just doesn't sound like fun to me

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »
6hr boil just doesn't sound like fun to me
That's what I first thought about two mashes but it looks pretty sweet now.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:09 pm »
No more labor intensive than a decoction and obvious results. But hopefully no one else tries it so I can keep this little secret to myself, lol.

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
No more labor intensive than a decoction and obvious results. But hopefully no one else tries it so I can keep this little secret to myself, lol.
I'd say way less labor intensive than decoction!  I'd even consider a mash off on each mash and get a Doppelbock with minimal effort.  Because I wouldn't be sparging as usual.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:43 pm »
It doesn't look like it'd be too bad for BIAB honestly. Did you do it on a 3 vessel or BIAB? How'd you calculate the second acid addition? Kettle size? I have a 10 gallon I brew 6 gallon batches on, so I might be able to get maybe 4.5 gallons if I try this. Wait, am I trying this?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »
I'd say way less labor intensive than decoction!  I'd even consider a mash off on each mash and get a Doppelbock with minimal effort.  Because I wouldn't be sparging as usual.
I'd rethink the mashoff for the 1st Mash. You'd denature enzymes and then you'd have to chill it back down to strike temp.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:53 pm »
It doesn't look like it'd be too bad for BIAB honestly. Did you do it on a 3 vessel or BIAB? How'd you calculate the second acid addition? Kettle size? I have a 10 gallon I brew 6 gallon batches on, so I might be able to get maybe 4.5 gallons if I try this. Wait, am I trying this?
Not BIAB but two vessel no sparge. 14 gallon kettles.

To calculate acid, use your total water and the total grain for total acid. Then calculate total water and 1st Mash grains only for 1st Mash acid. Second mash acid is total acid minus first mash acid. Mine was 3.5ml lactic total, and .5ml for first mash, leaving 3ml for second mash.

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 10:22:31 pm »
I'd rethink the mashoff for the 1st Mash. You'd denature enzymes and then you'd have to chill it back down to strike temp.
Yeah I think I'd just mash off the 2nd to make sure I got good foam.  I'd probably be doing some degree of sparge on the 2nd too.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 10:31:41 pm »
So much info coming out of your brewday, Jim.  I'm thinking of doing a Doppelbock at the end of the summer just before I usually take a short break, so I'll (for once) have a special Christmas beer. Hope you, and others who take up this method, will keep an active clearinghouse/thread going so we can all build on this.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:29 pm »
Well let's use this one. I'll post back with how it turns out and what changes I might make