Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Barleywine?  (Read 10232 times)

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Rye Barleywine?
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »
Anybody ever make one? I have been thinking about it. Some 2 row, munich, rye, and crystal. Heavy on the hops Columbus and Chinook maybe some cascade thrown in. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Rye Barleywine?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:32:41 pm »
So here is what I have come up with
14# 2 row
3 # munich
5# rye malt
1.5# crystal 60
2# sugar
Mash at 153-154

3 oz. columbus @ 90
2 oz. chinook @ 20
2 oz. columbus @ 5
2 oz. columbus DH
I know the Ibu's are high for the style, but that's how I like it.
Thinking about US-05 for the yeast.

Anyone ever do anything like this?
I am thinking between the lower mash temp, and sugar the F.G. should end up around 1.018-1.020
I have not made a Barleywine before, so any input would be great. Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:48:13 pm »
I've made rye BW a few times.  To me, it looks alike a lot of crystal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:36:14 pm »
 Thanks, Denny. I'll scale back the crystal by half. What where your thoughts on the rye BW's you have made?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42:06 pm »
Well, of course this is coming from a rye freak, but I love 'em.  You have to be careful that the mouthfeel doesn't get too big, but the sugar should take care of that. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »
Cool, thanks for the quick response. I am going to give this a try, I think it should turn out pretty darn good.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:51:41 am »

It's a matter of personal taste, barleywines usually do not finish dry.  To my tastes, I'd leave the crystal as it is. JMO.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:54:37 am »

It's a matter of personal taste, barleywines usually do not finish dry.  To my tastes, I'd leave the crystal as it is. JMO.

On further reflection, I'd agree with you!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:57:34 am »
I thought about making one a few years back, and still might, but I have been burned by rye recently (rye-bock, rye-wit) and am staying away for a while - am beginning to think its just not a flavor I like, though I do occasionally have a beer with rye that is enticing. 

Anyhow, I like the looks of your recipe, and I certainly wouldn't change the crystal amount - that's about the amount I use in mine, and I think mine is lower OG than yours.

What I don't like is I think the sugar level is too high.  I used 1lb of sugar in my IIPA and it brings the beer from 1.076-8 down to 1.012.  I personally like my ABWs rich, malty and chewy, not thinner, hop focused and boozy.  Given the higher gravity, I would bump down to 1lb. JMO. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:56:58 pm »
Maybe sub some extract for the sugar to keep your FG up around 1.020?
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:57:59 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I figure if I drop a pound of sugar, my OG will be in the 1.110 range (thinking my eff. will be around 60%?, I normally get 80-85% on a basic pale ale with an OG in the 1.050 range.) So with an 1.110 start, I think I might have trouble getting down to 1.020, more like 1.027. Maybe if I mash at 150, it will get me a point or two lower? Would a FG of 1.027-1.030 be too high? Plus I still have not nailed down a yeast yet, I was thinking of US-05, but am now thinking about getting a liquid yeast maybe 1272 or 1056. I just kinda don't like the thought of using a dry yeast in a beer that is this big, maybe I am concerned over nothing.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 03:11:31 pm »
If you can get from 1.110 to 1.030 you achieved about 72-73% attenuation.  If you can get it down to 1.020 you'll be at about 82% attenuation, which is still attainable for US-05, but that might be a stretch...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 03:12:40 pm »
Would a FG of 1.027-1.030 be too high?

Not if you're starting at 1.110!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »
okay - bunch of things.  1.027 won't be too high with that high of a SG.  and I actually like my ABWs to be 1.020-1.024, but I start ~ 1.090-95.  but with the 1lb of sugar, I doubt you'll finish that high. In fact, I would think you would finish at that level without any sugar.

I have used the dry US-05 in some of my bigs (ABW and RIS) the past 2 years, and not noticed anything different, except the ease of use (since I didn't necessarily have to make a pale ale beforehand to get enough yeast).  Just pitch 2, maybe 3 packs and aerate the heck out of it and you'll be golden.

1272 would be a nice choice though, as would 1450...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:35:48 pm »
Thanks again! I have made Rye IPA with the 1272 and one with US-05. I preferred the 1272, I thought the fruitiness of the yeast blended well with the spice of the rye. Blatz, I agree with you on having a FG in the 20's range. The last growler of BW I had felt thin, so I took a reading it was 1.015, kinda disappointing. I had the same one a few months earlier and it seemed to have more mouth feel to it, I liked it much better.