Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Here's a list of cool things to do while you’re in Portland for HomebrewCon this summer.  Which one sounds most fun to you?

Have a beer at one of the many great taphouses in town, like Beermongers, Belmont Station, Imperial.
Check out the Skidmore Fountain where Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at its dedication in 1888.
Visit the Widmer Taproom and sample small batch beers then take a tour of the brewery.
Jump on the Brewvana beer bus for a tour of local breweries.
Go by bike and take a PDX Pedicab Beer Tour.
Find out how the latest yeast strains are cultured on a tour of the lab @ Imperial Yeast.

Author Topic: [Sponsored] Top Beer Things to Do When In Portland For Homebrew Con  (Read 4930 times)

Offline KLANNS

• 1st Kit
    • Beer's missing ingredient, found here:
Re: Top Beer Things to Do When In Portland For Homebrew Con
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »
Plenty of data on the horizon which will be released through Brulosophy in conjunction with HomeBrewCon. Exciting stuff, but doubt even that will be enough to sway the trolls. Oh well...to each their own! 8)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:02:36 am by duncan »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 02:17:43 pm »

More BS marketing.  Where's the taste test sir?  Can a floor malted malt be distinguished?  Turn your malt with your hands, a malt plow, a shovel, an auger or some other mechanical mechanism... It's all marketing BS.  Come back with some evidence.

Wow look at the color!  ROFL...  Such foolishness.  Was that a paid post?

Treat every grain the same..?? Pffft... Now I've heard it all.  That's what all malting operations attempt to do.

And where is your taste test?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:27:30 pm »

More BS marketing.  Where's the taste test sir?  Can a floor malted malt be distinguished?  Turn your malt with your hands, a malt plow, a shovel, an auger or some other mechanical mechanism... It's all marketing BS.  Come back with some evidence.

Wow look at the color!  ROFL...  Such foolishness.  Was that a paid post?

Treat every grain the same..?? Pffft... Now I've heard it all.  That's what all malting operations attempt to do.

And where is your taste test?

I'm not the one making the claim that a malt turning mechanism makes better malt.  Nor do I have a very expensive uni malter to pay off.

Are you not the one who runs a website called "experimental brewing"?

Time to work for your money and back your claims.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 04:35:37 pm »
I appreciate the info on the malt/malting process, but I do not appreciate the snarkiness of BitterItDown.   I see that your post count is low, so maybe you don't know that we try hard to be nice when we disagree with each other here.  There is no value in slamming someone online.  It is cheap sport.  Having a civil, respectful forum is what separates the AHA Forum from other forums.  If you wish to engage in virtual flame wars, may I suggest another forum?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 04:57:41 pm »
I appreciate the info on the malt/malting process, but I do not appreciate the snarkiness of BitterItDown.   I see that your post count is low, so maybe you don't know that we try hard to be nice when we disagree with each other here.  There is no value in slamming someone online.  It is cheap sport.  Having a civil, respectful forum is what separates the AHA Forum from other forums.  If you wish to engage in virtual flame wars, may I suggest another forum?

Who are you again?

Denny and Drew are shills for Mecca.

False marketing is false marketing.

You don't like the truth or can't handle it then you go somewhere else.

Offline KLANNS

• 1st Kit
    • Beer's missing ingredient, found here:
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »

I'm not the one making the claim that a malt turning mechanism makes better malt.  Nor do I have a very expensive uni malter to pay off.

Are you not the one who runs a website called "experimental brewing"?

Time to work for your money and back your claims.

This comment seems oddly personal...do I know you in real life? If not, and you happen to be at HomeBrewCon in Portland this June, feel free to swing by the Mecca booth. It'd be great to chat in person.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 05:16:45 pm »

Who are you again?

Never until today even heard of Mecca.  My point: be nice or go away. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 05:50:50 pm »

Who are you again?

Never until today even heard of Mecca.  My point: be nice or go away.

I've been extraordinarily nice, given the circumstance.

Telling me to go away isn't going to work.

You neither scare nor intimidate me.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 09:09:53 pm »
What.. Denny marketing on the AHA forum?
Say it isn't so.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:16 am »
Watch out!

Big Monk

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:10:07 am by Big Monk »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:25 am »
This got terrible in a hurry.

Maybe we can wipe out the trolling and make this a useful thread for good things to do in Portland--for which there are many.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

Re: [Sponsored] Top Beer Things to Do When In Portland For Homebrew Con
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 10:36:40 am »
In pizza circles Apizza Scholls is highly regarded. http://www.apizzascholls.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phallpdx

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:01 am »
Must-see Portland breweries (I've bolded a couple that I really think you shouldn't miss):

Sour/wild/funky nerds: Upright Brewing, Cascade

German-style nerds: Wayfinder, Zoiglhaus, Widmer, Von Ebert, Culmination

IPA nerds: Breakside, Great Notion (hazy), Culmination/Ruse, 10 Barrel (the PDX-made stuff), Von Ebert.

English-style nerds: Harder to find, but Baerlic makes a great bitter. I know a lot of older school people will say Hair of the Dog. If you're a fan of porters: Ecliptic -- John Harris designed the original Black Butte Porter and his Capella is amazing.

For a day trip: Go to pFriem in hood river. You will not regret it.

To briefly touch on the malt debate: Our all-Mecca grade helles took gold at NHC regionals last week, and our all-Mecca pale ale took gold at regionals last year. Also, our hefes with all mecca wheat and pelton have been the best we've ever made. I'm not paid to promote it and YMMV. Looking forward to the upcoming brulosophy coverage, but I've definitely noticed a difference in side by sides. I can even see the difference in the bag: No gross black kernels, no chaff, all tightly uniform color etc.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:26 am »
So looking forward to Portland.  Last time I was there, Rock Bottom was the best I could find...but then I didn't look very hard either.  We're talking about 25 or so years ago.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------