Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cutting the cord options  (Read 4062 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Cutting the cord options
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:26:55 am »
Thinking of eventually cutting the cord with our DSL TV provider. The pricing only escalates and at one time we were saving quite a bit when compared with our old cable bill, but now the pricing is as high or higher.

While I once was tech saavy, I'd prefer this be an easy install with as little headaches as possible. Currently leaning toward DirectTV Now since my wife would prefer to get the majority of her content from one place.

One of our TVs has some antiquated app capabilities so I would consider our TVs to be monitors for this discussion. To use DirectTV Now I would need a Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV, or to use Chromecast. I've found Chromecast to be glitchy so I'm not considering that. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick, but it's not been exactly stellar either.

What we may do is try cord cutting at another property and then eventually integrate it into our home.

Suggestions appreciated, but don't get too technical as I might not be able to follow the conversation. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Big Monk

Re: Cutting the cord options
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:49 am »
Thinking of eventually cutting the cord with our DSL TV provider. The pricing only escalates and at one time we were saving quite a bit when compared with our old cable bill, but now the pricing is as high or higher.

While I once was tech saavy, I'd prefer this be an easy install with as little headaches as possible. Currently leaning toward DirectTV Now since my wife would prefer to get the majority of her content from one place.

One of our TVs has some antiquated app capabilities so I would consider our TVs to be monitors for this discussion. To use DirectTV Now I would need a Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV, or to use Chromecast. I've found Chromecast to be glitchy so I'm not considering that. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick, but it's not been exactly stellar either.

What we may do is try cord cutting at another property and then eventually integrate it into our home.

Suggestions appreciated, but don't get too technical as I might not be able to follow the conversation. ;)

Apple TV is fantastic.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:46:17 am »
Some thoughts here.

(1) Obviously you need a solid internet connection and good bandwidth. Some providers will throttle, as will some delivery formats (shared bandwidth in a community, for example).
(2) You need a good method of internal distribution. HD over WiFi works pretty well, but do consider the quality of your router and WiFi Hub (some have media packet priority settings). I personally prefer wired distribution, but use both. Fortunately I had all of my rooms pre-wired with CAT. In my business, I am running all WiFi with a fairly small range and it works OK. I have two displays there - on the older generation FireTV and Apple TV and use both for presentations.
(3) Figure out which services you want, need, then make a choice on the streaming receiver. I really like the Apple TV 4K and the Amazon FireTV 4K (not the stick). I believe that Direct TV Now is shipping with free Apple TV as a subscription promotion.

I would go ahead and get the 4K UHD version of the devices even if you do not have a supporting display. The newer chips are just much more efficient and capable, and run much more cool.

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:04:54 am »
Great info. It appears with Direct TV Now I could do a $50 plan with add on for HBO and Showtime and still only be $63+ taxes, of course tack on another $50 for internet. Still less than our current bill and I could take it with me other places where I have a high speed connection.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:37:51 am »
I kept it really simple when we cancelled cable and bought a Sony Bluray player that can also stream Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video.  We only have one TV though, so that made it easy.

Monthly, Hulu is $12, Netflix is $10 and HBO through Amazon is $14.  We have Amazon Prime for the other benefits it offers, so I consider Prime Video kind of a free bonus.

It saves me about $125 a month over cable.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cutting the cord options
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 10:42:41 am »

Suggestions appreciated, but don't get too technical as I might not be able to follow the conversation.

Apple TV is fantastic.
Agree. If you are in an apple centric house, it’s the no-brainer choice.

One thing to keep in mind. Cable companies are very aware that this is costing them money. Because of this they are raising the broadband only rates and establishing data caps. Where I’m at Cox gives us 1 TB per month. We are typically well below that at 200gb per month but it rocketed up to nearly 900 when my wife was home with our newborn. Unlimited with Cox and no other services is nearly $200 no contract.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:48:02 am by Stevie »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:43:40 am »
I envy you guys who have alternatives.  Where I live, cable is the only option and I'm glad to have it after years of flaky satellite and dial up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 12:13:01 pm »
I envy you guys who have alternatives.  Where I live, cable is the only option and I'm glad to have it after years of flaky satellite and dial up.

I am not there yet with cutting the cord. We have Verizon Fios for Cable/Phone/Internet with HBO and a Netflix account. The prices are pretty good and the service is excellent.

With young kids who have shows they like on cable, I can't really cut the cord right now.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:29:19 pm »
My issue is my wife likes being able to get all her content in one place. If I had my way I would use 3 or 4 sources to access content and could drive the cost down further. We only have two options for high speed internet and both cost essentially the same thing.

Direct TV Now keeps looking better and better, but convincing my wife to switch may be the hardest thing to achieve.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »

I am not there yet with cutting the cord. We have Verizon Fios for Cable/Phone/Internet with HBO and a Netflix account. The prices are pretty good and the service is excellent.

With young kids who have shows they like on cable, I can't really cut the cord right now.

Wow, I can't imagine that kind of bandwidth.  We're lucky to get 6 Mbps down and .6 up.  That's orders of magnitude better than any alternative we have available.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:05:19 pm »
I haven't had cable in years. recently got Fiber and just use Netflix and Amazon TV and will get Sling TV for Amazon during football season. Never pay for cable or satellite again.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:08 pm »
Timely discussion, I cut the cable, now just internet.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23:04 pm »
I have up cable back when the great recession pushed me into early retirement.
Where I live now there is absolutely no over the air options so the only tv we watch is from our DVD collection. We don't miss it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »
I gave up cable back when the great recession pushed me into early retirement.
Where I live now there is absolutely no over the air options so the only tv we watch is from our DVD collection. We don't miss it.
We can buy an awful lot of dvds for the monthly cost of cable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:13:51 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 06:26:10 pm »
My issue is my wife likes being able to get all her content in one place. If I had my way I would use 3 or 4 sources to access content and could drive the cost down further. We only have two options for high speed internet and both cost essentially the same thing.

Direct TV Now keeps looking better and better, but convincing my wife to switch may be the hardest thing to achieve.
The newer devices display and play content from multiple sources without hassling the user